No, I did not cook this yesterday on the eve of Chinese New Year. We had dinner at a friend's place. But this lobster dish do have its tie-in to auspicious Chinese New Year food, is it not? Lobsters 龙虾 and in Cantonese language, 虾 pronounced HAR symbolizes laughter 笑哈哈 (happiness).

I gave in to these wild-caught previously frozen Canadian lobster tails when I spotted them in Costco. Well, I COULD have waited to buy a fresh "live" whole lobster (in the tank) from the Asian grocery store.
Could have, should have, would have.
You can say I am not much of an adventurer when it comes to seafood. I have made steamed lobsters tails with frozen lobster tails before, so I am going to do similar again. This time, it is just going to a tad different using Japanese sake instead of Chinese cooking wine.
Sake-Steamed Lobster Tails with Ginger and Scallions 姜葱酒蒸龙虾
Ingredients:
4 lobster tails or about 1 lbs lobster tails; half each lobster tail, and place halved lobster tail on a wide-based plate, flesh facing up
3 green onions, bottom white and top green parts separated. Thinly slice the bottom white parts and top green parts
Mix 2 tbsp Japanese sake, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp very finely minced ginger, white part of the scallions in a bowl, then use a spoon and drizzle this mixture over the lobsters
Directions:
For steaming, set up wok with water and Japanese sake (about half-half ratios). When water mixture in the wok is boiling and ready to steam, place the plate of lobsters to be steamed on a trivet, cover the wok and steam for 10 to 12 mins till the lobster is cooked.
Serve with cooked noodles and cooked broccoli.

Tag: sake steamed lobsters
An Escape to Food on Facebook
No comments:
Post a Comment