As fickle as me, as sober as beer, as deep as pizza, as comfort as meatloaf

Our first visit to BJs Brewhouse :

1. It's a brewhouse, so you should try the beer. Go for the taster/sampler if you are not those "pitcher-drinkers" and obviously, don't know what to try/order. Personally, I felt this can be similar to wine tasting - just going for the experience, if you are not a regular. Or when you just can't make up your mind, variety is the key.

Could be a complete 7-taster brew sampler. But you saw the 2 "empty" spaces ? You can just go for a taster set of 5 brews too.

2. When you don't know what to order among that many kinds of pizza; and when you don't go eating in big groups (and get the privilege of ordering one of each kind), look out for words such as "house specials", "chef recommendations", "hot favourites". This should not go too wrong. Hawaiian pizza (ham, pineapple, cheese) has always been my favorite and should be a "can't go wrong" but there is no hawaiian pizza in this menu.

So, among the deep dish pizzas, we went with the BJ's favourite. This is good, really good. Crusty toasty crust.

3. We asked the server for her recommendations. She suggested the meatloaf.

But I did not really like it, despite it being "1st-place meatloaf recipe winner".

BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse
Several locations within the US
Menu here
Price: $$
Taste index:


Tag: , ,

27 comments:

  1. Tigerfish,
    I only got to BJ's for pizza and buffalo wings. I wouldn't have tried the meatloaf. :P Oh, and their lambics are good too. Try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pizza looks good. just yesterday I had Hawaiian pizza after computer class, what a coincidence, I like Hawaiian too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wandering chopsticks, will try the lambics the next time, with pizza & buffalo wings :D I won't mind goin' bac again. It's not too bad, afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. firehouse, I think pineapple(sweet) and ham(savory) pairs well. Hv tried spreading some tomato puree/paste on normal bread, then topped with pineapple, ham and cheese, for toasting before. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't drink beer.

    The pizza looks yummy. I love Hawaiian pizza too! I'll try your simple Hawaiian bread recipe. I'm sure the kids will love it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Hawaiian pizza for their pineapple topping too! And same as you, I don't think I'll like meatloaf, hence I've never even considered making a meatloaf after watching all those done on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good food is good food, don't matter who's doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beer and pizza! I love beer! Yum! I can feel the pounds packing on just by looking at your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. aiyo, been craving and eating pizza lots lately, last one was y'day, I was intrigued with the red brick pizza, nicely toasted in the brick oven right in front of ur eyes, so I did, dissapointed at the stuffings, damn kiam siap, but the crust was really goodddd, so, you like it ? For me Pizza hut's got the best meat lovers hehe, easy on the sauce, minus pepperoni, extra beef toppings, parmesan cheese and chili flakes..ahh, I'm contented !:) hey, anyone tried the white sauce pizza ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't care much for pizza, but the beers sure are tempting! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll have the pizza and my husband will have the beer. Tks. ;) ;) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ECL, you one good woman! No coffee, no beer. Think I am the one that need dieting ler :O Remember to toast till cheese melts. The ham and pineapple are all "cooked" liow (unless you get those uncooked ham), so no worries about time of cooking. It's the toastiness and the toppings that make it nice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. simcooks, I will not make meatloaf myself too. Just not my kind of (daily) food :)

    koeiru, sounds like it's your comfort food. Yes? No ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. wokandspoon, looking at pix won't pack on pounds. The ones eating them are the "victims" :O

    ReplyDelete
  15. MW, the crust sure sounds toasty! I've those reb brick pizza before too (but not in the US). It just taste different from those oven-baked ones. I think it's the "brick-fumes" that infuses some exotica to the crust. I've not tried Pizza Hut in the US before leh! This one is the first pizza I've had out of my house. Other than that, I usually get those Costco LARGE pizza and heat it up at home :O
    But the BJs pizza is really not bad -better than Costco :-*

    ReplyDelete
  16. lyrical lemongrass, with chee cheong fun, and claypot chicken rice, who would reach for that pizza if there was a choice :p
    Ya, your beer and siew yok, right? kekekekke....

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi patricia, you done your delegation of responsiblities well...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those beers look huge for a sampler! Not that I'm complaining...
    I love ham and pineapple, but my very favorite is pepperoni and pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tigerfish,
    You know, I saw on the news that eating pineapple with meats keeps your body from absorbing the fat. :)

    And if you're ordering out for pizza, I prefer Papa John's.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sara, maybe I took the pix from an unprofessional angle? so they look huge? But I do agree with you for this sampler.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wandering Chopsticks, is that true? But pineapples are quite acidic (so help to digest the meat, maybe?)
    Another tip from you -let me check Papa John's lcations in NorCal. Thks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. mr. budding cook loves the artichoke pizza. it's good. we had bj's pizza on valentines. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that pizza is some gooey goodness :) I have never tried deep dish pizzas though. I always thought they're too bready ...i should try it once at least *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tigerfish,
    I like Papa John's pan pizza b/c of its buttery crust but it can be pricey. Don't know if it's a local thing, but my PJ's has a $5.99 L carry-out pepperoni pizza. Good, cheap way to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. buddingcook, sounds good. I've had artichoke soup(dine-out, of course) before and love it! Hey, I think we went to BJs for some special occasion too (but forgotten which one) :O

    ReplyDelete
  26. The Expedited Writer, *nods* *nods* *nods*, just try it for once. When it's done well, you will like it.
    I'm also more for thin-crust pizza :p

    Wandering Chopsticks, my nearest Papa Johns is 6 miles away. Hmmm...I believe the 5.99 deal is a local thingy(did they send you some kind of coupons/discounts for that?)
    The online L pizza is $14.24 !! :O

    ReplyDelete
  27. Tigerfish,
    That's the normal price for a large cheese or pepperoni for pick-up only at my PJ's. But they have coupons online all the time, as well as specials so don't pay normal price!

    ReplyDelete