Bittergourd? In soup, stews, stir-frys? Or braised, steamed?

Do you like bittergourd? In soup, stews, stir-frys? Or braised, steamed? Not many people do, whatever way bittergourds are cooked. It's known as Bitter Melon in Wikipedia but I call it bittergourd all along since young. While doing this post for Jihva-Greens, I re-discovered that bittergourd is also known as karela in India. This vegetable or fruit, is rich in potassium, calcium, iron, beta-carotene, vitamins B1, B2, B3 and C. You can read about other health benefits that are widely published online.

Vegetable or fruit ?? - oh, please don't make me answer this? By definition, it should be a fruit since it has seeds. But I cook and eat them like a vegetable.


Bittergourd/Bitter Melon/Karela soup (serves 2)
Ingredients:
-1 medium-sized bitter melon; washed, seeds removed then cut into thin strips
-1 egg, whisked
- vegetable stock (or any stock you prefer)
- dried anchovies (option)
- salt, to taste (if you are not using dried anchovies, you can add more salt)

Note:
~ can cut into bigger chunks first, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then cut into thinner strips(julienned)
~ bitter melon is an acquired taste for some, because it is bitter. They are not named without valid reasons. To reduce bitterness, you can add some salt into water, and soak the thin strips in the water
(~5mins). I guess the longer you soak, the less bitter it will be. But I like bitter gourd...bitter...so I just lightly rinse water over the bitter melon that I sprinkled some salt over

Method:
1. Boil a pot of water. When boiling, add in dried anchovies(option), then add in bittergourd
2. Since in thin strips, it does not take long for the bittergourd to cook. Approx ~ 10-15mins for the bittergourd to soften (Note: It depends. If you like some crunch to be retained, do not boil it for too long)
3. Salt, to taste
4. When ready to serve, turn off the heat, and add in the egg slowly into the soup, stir slightly

Other soup posts:
Wakame soup
Cream of mushroom soup
Tofu soup
Doubled boiled soup
Cabbage pork ball soup

Tag: , , , ,

32 comments:

  1. tigerfish

    i love bittergourd. cooked anyway.

    actually, have you tried bitterguard icy cold? i remember trying it in a Heng Hua Restaurant.

    It's sliced superly thin, and then covered with ice and then served with honey! It does not look nice, but it is simply delicious and refreshing!

    i wonder if you remembered my posting of it ;-)
    http://singapuradailyphoto.blogspot.com/2007/02/heng-hua-food-pu-tian-restaurant-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. keropok man, no wonder you are not the "good man, bad man, he man, and SNAG", coz you are really in your own category! Not many pple like bittergourd ler. I love bittergourd a lot - all ways.
    Yes yes, of course I remember that dish. I'll keep that cold dish idea for summer maybe -provided bittergourds are still around. But I may just try dried anchovy with bittergourd (cool them in the fridge after cooking). I've eaten similar cold appetizer plates in a Taiwanese eatery here. Just as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to enjoy the way my mom cooks bittergourd, she makes them with pork rib soup, or stir-fries with canned spicy pork, even makes bittergourd omelettes, I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't eat this. Too bitter for me. But most VNese hollow the center and stuff it with ground pork and shrimp and then make it into a soup. My grandma sometimes stir-fried it with egg. And once sliced them super thin and made it into a salad with lemon juice, fish sauce, and vinegar. I think the acidity cut down on the bitterness and I actually found it refreshing then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soaking in salt reminds me of eggplant - how you salt the eggplant and then all the bitter compounds come to the surface to be wiped away. Maybe same reason?

    MMMM....I love the bittergourds stuffed with minced pork and salty egg yolk mix and steamed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen bittergourd soup before. I have only eaten them in yong tau foo.
    Anyway, I think if you pour in the beaten egg into the soup slowly and stir continuously, the egg will look more like thin threads, which (to me) looks nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lin, bittergourd omelettes and stir frying with pork ribs are familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like my bittergourd sliced really thinly and deep fried until crunchy (indian style). It makes a great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There Tigerfish!!! Hello, & you've been TAGGED!! :-)...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wandering Chopsticks, yes, some pple even make bittergourd juice, add some honey and lemon, for detox purposes.

    Steamy Kitchen, I'm not a fan of egg plant. I would choose bittergourd over eggplant. They should be in the same league though.The pork+salted egg yolk steaming reminds me of a tofu dish, actually. :D
    I do have a steamed version coming up soon, without the salted egg yolk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. bittergourd is something that you either like it or you don't.I prefer it thinly sliced and then stir fried...mmm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eh darling, Kerala is a state in India, bittergourd is "karela" (करेला), heh heh, invert the "e" and "a".. :)

    I learned another way to reduce the bitterness - freezing and thawing, heh heh... learned that this week when I ate bittergourds that I froze from one of my WFFs and I preferred them that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man.. I haven't had this veggie in a looong time. My mom used to make it all the time with the black bean sauce. Is that the braised one? I used to hate it, but now I'm craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. simcooks, are you sure you never seen bittergourd soup?? Maybe this is really a backyard-cooking dish.
    Those teochew porridege stall usually have the black bean braised/stir fry version! Very nice! I always order it!
    Oh, about the eggs, I wanted chunky pieces in the soups to bite on ler! So just stirred a bit :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. lyrical lemongrass,hmmm...if my memory serves me right? Shilpa done the deep fried version before?
    Have I tried the deep fried version before....makes me wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  16. i like bittergourds too, indian, chinese, malay, cooked whatever style...i eat it up. Then again, i eat almost everything except domestic pets. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. hedgehog, I agree with you totally on that! There's no way someone is going to gradually like bittergourd, will there?


    jadedone, the black bean sauce version is probably a classic bittergourd dish. And the bittergourd in this dish is always
    cooked so soft that I would think it's braised.

    ReplyDelete
  18. shilpa, alamak! Wrong spelling arh! Correction done! Hmmmm...probably after the thawing, some of the "bitter" compounds
    turned into other non-bitter compounds.
    Aiyo....ur sayur lodeh finished already or not?

    ReplyDelete
  19. the expedited writer, I'm like you! Liking bittergourds. I eat almost everything too, except creepy crawlies and non-edible
    stuff. ;p ....oh, and I don't really like egg plants.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hated bitter gourd as a kid. My mom would cut them cross wise and stuff the inside with salted fish pork meatballs. She also sometimes stirfry them with eggs like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've come to love bitter melon. I remember my first time eating it, I was so shocked it was actually... bitter, quite bitter. Definitely an acquired taste for me. My boyfriend's mom stuffs them with meat or stir fries it with pork and fermented black beans, both really, really tasty. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not a big fan of bitter gourd, except when it stir fry with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 吃得苦中苦,方为人上人。i like bittergourd stir fried wif lotsa eggs and in the Niang Tofu, with fish meat in the centre.

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha, dun make fun of me ok? yah lah, finished the sayur lodeh oredi, as well as an ice-cream tub of soto, but dinch take picture! :P

    sori ah, now no time to reply your e-mail!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ming merciless, from my observations, there are more guys(apart from keropokman)than gals, who dislike bittergourd.
    The stuffings with fish sounds like yong tau foo?

    amy, yes....stuffings with meat is really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. windy, I'm not surprised. But looks like it pairs well with eggs huh? Almost everyone is talking about
    stir frying with eggs ;p
    Thks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. zeezee, some pple will say, life is already so bitter...why must we choose to eat something bitter? ;p

    shilpa, hee hee....it's ok! Have a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I think adding tomatoes to bitter melon soup taste fabulous (other than the dried anchovies). It gives the soup natural favoring. You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. anonymous, ok I will. Love tomatoes too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yes, I think the meat stuffing my mom used is very much like yong tau fu.

    I remember digging out the meat and eating only the inside eventhough the meat has been "tainted" by the bitter taste.

    And I swear, I wasn't a picky eater either.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love ampalaya! In fact, I just became a fan of it on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

    ReplyDelete