Thursday, February 08, 2007

Bye bye...canned soup, coz' my Soup's On for Cream of Mushroom!

What should I do with the remaining heavy whipping cream that I've used for the egg tarts ? Even if I bake six more egg tarts, there'll still be more than 1/2cup left. Its (short) shelf-life will soon be up! Use it or dump it!

Soup's On! This is what I did...easy and simple, with a twist. I've never consumed any canned soup yet, since I came here. Of course, Campbell Cream of Mushroom used to be one of my childhood favorites - a comforting dipping soup for that loaf of bread. Sure, canned soups are easy but most have an especially high sodium content (even the low ones are high, is it not?). Since I've found a homemade-way to do it, I can now keep that few cans of soup in my pantry (as part of our disaster kit in this earthquake-prone country).

Cream of mushroom soup (yields 3-4 small appetizer servings)

Ingredients:
-2tbsp butter, divided use
-1/4lb crimini/white mushrooms; clean with damp paper towel, cut half quantity into slices, chop the remainder
-1/2 medium onion, chopped
-1/8 cup flour
-2cup chicken broth/water
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1.Melt half the butter in a saucepan and saute sliced mushrooms until golden. Set aside.
2. Add remaining butter to the same pan, along with the chopped mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with salt, to taste. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft
3. Return sliced mushrooms to the pan. Add flour, stir constantly about 2mins, till smooth.
4.Slowly add chicken broth while stirring. Simmer, stir often, till thickened. Add pepper, to taste.
5.Add heavy cream and bring to a simmer (Note:Do not boil)
6.Ladle into mini soup cups or bowls and......................wait wait wait, you can't drink or eat it yet (be patient...) coz' I'm not done with everything !!!

Here's the twist (not by Chubby Chucker, of course)...WATCH!



Tag: , ,