For WHB hosted by Anh this week, I'm sharing more about lily flowers/buds, and introducing (plus cooking) a mixed vegetable dish - Nyonya Chap Chai (Chap Chye), in which without fail, usually has lily buds, as one of the ingredients.Dried or fresh, lily flowers/buds are used in various cuisines such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, and Vietnamese; and are known as golden needles when in their fresh state due to golden needles stems. When dried, the flowers are unassumingly brown. Lily buds have an earthy and musky-sweet flavor.
Dried lily buds are soaked in warm water for about half an hour before use in cooking, and often tied in knots to keep them from unfurling. Due to their "golden" nature, this also explains why lily buds are usually found in the cooking for auspicious events and occasions, such as Chinese New Year.
Nyonya Chap Chai (Chap Chye) has always been one of my favourite dishes. Some Chinese families like to cook this dish for Chinese New Year Eve's reunion meals. Other than the "golden means auspicious" significance, a practical reason might be because this dish could be cooked 1-2 days in advance (then stored in the fridge for re-heating and later consumption) so that on the day of the reunion dinner itself, effort and time could be given to some other dishes such as steamed fish or roasted meats, that are preferably prepared fresh and consumed almost immediately after being cooked.
Chap Chai (Chap Chye) simply means mixed vegetables. What makes Nyonya Chap Chai (Chap Chye), Nyonya - I don't really know. Perhaps, it was "invented" by the Peranakans/Nyonyas. and thus allowed this dish to carry the name tag and tradition of Peranakan/Nyonya. This works almost exactly like a trademark (though we don't see the TM sign).

I could have Nyonya Chap Chai anytime. Simply love the natural sweetness of cabbage in this dish. Nyonya Chap Chai is typically a combination of vegetables - cabbage, lily buds, black fungus, mushrooms, bean vermicelli (glass or mung bean noodles, or known as tung hoon, in hokkien) stir fried, sometimes even braised, with fried beancurd sheets/sticks and fermented/ salted soy bean (豆 酱, dou jiang in Chinese). It's like a stewed mixed vegetable dish. Sometimes, red fermented beancurd is added.
Nyonya Chap Chai - Braised or Stewed Mixed Vegetables (serves 4-6)
Ingredients:
- 75g/3oz bean vermicelli (glass or mung bean noodles, tung hoon in hokkien)
- 1 head cabbage; washed and cut into chunky slices
- 8 caps fresh shitake mushrooms caps; cleaned with damp towel, cut into slices
- 5oz black fungus, cut to bite slices
- 1/2 cup dried lily buds (Note: read above for preparation instructions-soaking and knotting)
- 3oz fried beancurd sticks (soaked in water, then cut into finger-lengths)
- 1 tbsp salted soy beans (豆 酱, dou jiang in Chinese)
- 1tsp oyster sauce, to taste
- 1-2 pieces rock sugar (1 piece ~ half size of thumb)
- chicken broth/water
Method:
1. Heat up oil in wok, add in salted soy beans, smashing them while frying till fragrant
2. Add in cabbage and mix well for 5mins
3. Add in the rest of the vegetables (mushrooms, black fungus, lily buds, beancurd sticks) and mix well before adding enough water to cover them up. Add oyster sauce to taste and flavor.
4. Simmer on low heat, covered, for 10-15mins till all the vegetables soften
5. Next stir in bean vermicelli (glass or mung bean noodles), simmer for another 5-8mins (Note: vermicelli absorbs a lot of moisture, so you would not want to add this too early or the gravy/sauce would be reduced by too much)
6. Once the ingredients are cooked, dish up and serve. Good with rice or on its own!
Tag: vegetables, nyonya chap chai, weekend herb blogging
Thanks for introducing us to these unusual ingredients! The finished dish looks beatiful, like an old raggedy silk dress.
ReplyDeleteMy grandma used to make this all the time! Brings back memories. Looks like you did a pretty good job with your chap chai!
ReplyDeleteIs this similar to what Melting Wok used? Just that yours is the dried form and hers is named "Tiger Lily Buds"?
ReplyDeleteOoh thanks for the recipe! Grandma used to make this all the time. :-) I hated green veg when I was young, so this was a perfect way to get me to eat my veg.
ReplyDeletefreya and paul, I bet the ingredients are unfamiliar to some. Hmmm...a silk dress...I am still trying to imagine that. But thanks for your compliment:)
ReplyDeletewok and spoon, grandma sure cooks this well...this is such a traditional dish. Back at home, usually it's the "mom, or old-aunt" generation that cooks this.
ReplyDeleteMy first attempt- luckily still managed to capture the "trademarked" taste. I believe there are different ways of cooking this.
Like Simcooks, I also read about lily buds on Melting Wok. I have never heard of them before reading these recent blog posts. They almost look like they would have the texture of bamboo shoots! And wow, I would love to try making this but I am afraid I wouldn't do a good job tying the buds into knots. (When I was a child, I had such a hard time learning to tie my shoes!) This looks like a vegetarian's dream meal! Delicious!
ReplyDeleteWow, I haven't had this for the longest time. My mother used to cook this...
ReplyDeleteI love chap chai - especially the tanghoon, after it has absorbed the juices from the other ingredients.
ReplyDeleteI notice you cook a lot (min. 4 servings), enough for 2-3 meals. You keep for reheats?
always love to read your clear instruction! Nyonya cuisine is one of my favorite when I spent a year in Sg... will sure come back for your recipe after I gather all the ingredients!
ReplyDeleteyou have just reminded me all dried ingredients I have!
ReplyDeleteTigerfish,
ReplyDeleteWe're insync again! :)
I made this last week. But it wasn't so pretty so I didn't photograph mine. I tie my lily buds into knots too.
aqoona, you have such an interesting blog. Either you know the secrets of their kitchen or you have sharp tastebuds :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting.
simcooks, not sure if it's the same. I asked in her blog if hers is fresh lily buds coz the color looks different. From the look
ReplyDeleteof her lily buds, seems they're fresh ones. Mine are the dried ones. Can be found in the dried goods section.
lyrical lemongrass, the only vegetable in this dish is cabbage? The rest, either flower or fungus. Hee hee...you bluffed
ReplyDeleteyour grandma, to cook this dish for you, right? ;p
passionate eater, but babmboo shoots have such strong smell...:O ....to the crunchy texture, they are quite similar, if not,
ReplyDeleteentirely different. It's not hard to tie the knots...just tie a dead knot...I bad in tying knots except dead ones...kekekke
Oh I just realized...this is indeed vegetarian.
RM, when I was young, I used to look forward to CNY because of this. :D
ReplyDeleteNow no need to wait liow...
If not got time (to do all the slicing, and slicing)...everytime also can eat. Lots of preparation time.
ECL, ya...but I don't like it when the tanghoon absorb all the juices and leave me with no gravy...
ReplyDeleteWhere got min 4 servings,2 servings also got mah :O
Those suitable for leftovers, at most just up to 3-4days loh!
Bo bian...liddat save time, save money mah !
Gattina, great! You love Nyonya food! Remember the Ayam Buah ke luak, Chap Chai, Hee Piow soup?...yummy yummy
ReplyDeletelydia, you "ransacking" your pantry now?
WAndering Chopsticks,does not matter, as long as it tastes delicious, right? We really have taste (or maybe cravings) compatibility ;p
ReplyDeleteChapChye! My mum loves to cook this, so i get to eat this very often!
ReplyDeleteI love this dish, especially the black fungus!
zhengning, you are so lucky!
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised you don't go yees and yaws when you see fungus.
aiyo, ur lily buds looked do black one, no wander u think mine is fresh ones, nvmd, I get u one pack of the ones I used here nxt time :) hey, I used the Yeos soy bean too, isn't it great, did u get the salted/unsalted ones ?:) Anyway, this vegetarian dish looks really good, considering I'm quite a carnivoress hahaha I'd eat it anytime, anyday :)
ReplyDeleteThis is something I always like to eat. :) Thanks for your clear instruction, I can make it at home! :D
ReplyDeleteMW, so yours are fresh ones? Nice colors. For the soy beans, I only found salted ones ...:(
ReplyDeleteanh, let me know how it goes for you. :D
I think u got a great blog!! Thank u for that. I'm definitely going to add u to my favorite :) I hope you can visit mine. It's about Copycat Recipes.
ReplyDeleteUncover the Secret Recipes from Your Favorite Restaurants!
Easily Prepare the Most Guarded Restaurant Recipes in Your Own Kitchen. The same tastes and flavors for a fraction of the cost!
Learn to cook the highly guarded secrets behind dishes from:
» Red Lobster
» Applebee's
» Chili's
» Olive Garden
» T.G.I. Fridays
» Outback Steakhouse
» Starbucks
» +700 recipes from other most Famous Restaurants.
http://copycatcookbook.blogspot.com/
There's new 5 recipes each day!!