Dippin' naan-thing with fish curry is something - Fish curry with naan

The original recipe is from Hooked on Heat. With slight modification, this is a curry dish so easy to prepare, goes into my definition of curry-in-a-hurry; mild in chilli-spiciness yet full of other spice flavors (despite omitting expensive curry leaves and dried fenugreek leaves).


Fish curry with naan (serves 2-3)
Ingredients:
-4 fish fillets, each fillet cut into halves (The tilapia fillets I use tend to disintegrate while cooking in the curry, so it's best not to cut them into small pieces before adding them into the curry gravy)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- dashes of black pepper powder
- salt to taste

The burst of spice flavors must have come from the curry powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder (the masala mix)

Method:
1. In a pot with 1tbsp cooking oil at low-medium heat, saute the garlic and onions till fragrant and when onions turn translucent. Add curry powder, chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric and black pepper and fry quickly.
2. Add in coconut milk, stirring to mix witht the spices. Allow it to come to a simmer, and then add fish pieces and cherry tomatoes.
3. Cook till till fish is done (about 10mins or so)
4. Serve with steamed rice; or for me...it's a dipping curry for my naan

Related posts:
Assam prawns - Spicy prawns with pineapples and tamarind
Otak Otak - Baked spiced fish paste wrapped in banana leaves
Laksa - Rice noodles in coconut-based curry gravy
Sayur Lodeh - Vegetables in coconut-based curry gravy
Cheat sheet chilli crab - Seafood in spicy gravy


Tag: , , ,

26 comments:

  1. Where you buy the naan from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. simcooks, I prefer the frozen naan(TJs) to the frozen pratha(R99):D
    Look at the ingredients and let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The frozen naan looks great! Like the ones I get from the Indian restaurant leh.

    ahhh, I want to eat naan for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of Breadtalk's curry naan...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually prefer my naan with dry curry - less gravy. I prefer fish curry with roti canai so that I can flood it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. girl, if you don't want your fish to disintegrate, maybe try pre-frying it over high heat, then add to the gravy later? of course, it will absorb less of the curry flavour, but still good leh... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a dipping curry I agree! I love the idea of a quick curry too! Looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm how interesting to put cherry tomatoes there.

    why so many pple have indian food blogs one? makes me want to eat indian food now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know when I tried the recipe I wondered why my curry turned out yellow when hookedonheat's was a darker shade of red. I'm glad you tried this recipe, it's interesting to see the results from others who have tried it :)

    Did you like the flavors?

    When I added the fenugreek leaves, it didn't seem like they added anything to the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you know what you can do to make your curry redder without hiking up the hotness level? Add 2tbsp of paprika powder when you stir fry your ingredients..:) It'll give it a nice red color (and flavor too).

    I find that curry powder in US and Canada to be too yellowish for my taste. Too much turmeric in there for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ECL, yes, the frozen naan is good here. The only think lacking is that I do not have a tandoori clay oven to bake those naan ;p

    ReplyDelete
  12. omnivore, Breadtalk got new product liow? The curry naan nice or not?

    pabalopabla, you find me roti canai lah! Here got prata also but I prefer the naan to the prata here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. shilpa, must use another pan leh! But maybe I can lightly pan-fry them in the corningware first hor? Thks!

    freya and paul, curry gravy can be dipped into (with bread) and soaked in(with rice)...luv it :D


    keropok man, the fish head curry in Sg also has tomatoes mah...just that they don't use cherry tomatoes.
    Alamak, mine is not indian food blog lah (not up to it!)....mine is all sorts of cuisines....hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  14. jadedone, oh you tried the recipe too? Maybe it's a different kind of curry powder that makes the color different?
    I like the flavors...how about you? But next time I will not use tilapia as the fish always has a muddy taste. Lucky I cooked the fish in curry since the spice "mask" that muddy taste in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's been a long long time since I had fish curry, you are making me drool :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. the expedited writer, I don't have paprika powder :O But maybe I can invest now? So everytime I cook curry I can add some. :D
    The curry powder I use is actually penang curry powder bought from Singapore....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Naan...i like especially with tandoori chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not new pdt. In fact, it's a old one and now think don't have liao. Quite oily.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, wow! Looks fantastic! Which curry powder did you use?

    I can smell the lovely aroma from here. Sadly, i can't get tilapia here but surely, i could use any firm white meat fish, like cod, maybe?

    Yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yeah! I tried the recipe a while back. It's probably on the second or third page on my blog.

    Instead of using tilapia I used cod. Also, instead of cutting the fish up into cubes, I just cut the filets in 3 big pieces so they wouldn't break up too much after it was done simmering.

    I actually tried this recipe a couple times. Once with fish and once with chicken. I sauteed the chicken with the onion until it was almost done and then added the liquid. It turned out quite good :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yeah, I also suspect that the tumeric had a large part to do with why the curry turned yellow instead of the deep red that hookedonheat's curry had.

    ReplyDelete
  22. lin, long time since I've had fish curry too. Now I can have it more often. It's quite easy. :)

    precious pea, me too me too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. omnivore, is it the usual curry bread ? How come I don't know? Discontinued within a year?

    mae, I used penang curry powder bought from S'pore and brought over ;p Think it's Singlong brand.
    I would not use tilapia...there's a muddy taste. I think cod will do. But with cod, there are so many other ways...even steaming.
    Can't steam tilapia...coz steaming is best for fish without that mud taste. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  24. jadedone, oh yes, I cut the tilapia into halves but they still disintegrated :( ...
    Anyway, I think tilapia's flesh is not as firm. Lesson learnt: After putting the fish in, do not stir too much. Haha!
    Chicken sounds good! I can try too! Thanks :D
    You may be right too about the turmeric.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It was known as "Curry Naan" and think also got another "Cheese Naan" . Quite long liao. Imagine that time an animal from zoo said she like it very much. U don't have the chance to see that animal cos she exit before you were captured and locked in the zoo. Haaaaaaaaaaaaa.

    ReplyDelete
  26. omnivore, hahahahahh! Then the product must be quite long liow.

    ReplyDelete