Nasi Lemak, from ground zero to spice elevation

Traditionally, Nasi Lemak comes as a rice platter with cucumber slices, small dried anchovies (ikan bilis), roasted peanuts, hard boiled egg, and hot spicy sauce (sambal). Perfect classic example seen here by Rasa Malaysia, and recently here too.

Today, Nasi Lemak has evolved to having other accompaniments such as chicken, luncheon meat, sambal long beans, and fried egg. Traditional or modern, most of these accompaniments are spicy in nature.

Nasi lemak used to be a traditional breakfast dish, and it is sold early in the morning at roadside stalls where it is often sold packed in newspaper, brown paper or banana leaf. However today, there are restaurants which serve it on a plate as
noon(lunch) or evening(dinner) meals.

Traditional or modern, this is my Nasi Lemak!!


Nasi Lemak, step by step: Instructions for the coconut rice, here. Meantime, slice up the cucumber, hard-boil or fry an egg (omelette or sunnyside up, your wish), saute finely diced onions with sambal chilli/belacan till onions are soft (and cooked), and with
Otak Otak

plus...
Spicy fried chicken

It's my Nasi Lemak!

Side-tracked: Thanks to the editorial team in Serious Eats for featuring my homemade Tom Yum Fried Rice. My appreciation for sharing the food joy around.

Side-tracked again: People!!! The previous post on roti prata and chicken curry?....nah....I did not make them from scratch. It was store-bought frozen prata (I just had to pan-fry and reheat them), and chicken curry made from Prima Singapore curry premix.

Tag: , , , ,

21 comments:

  1. I donch have pandan leaves..!! will it taste as good..??

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much you charging for one plate of Nasi Lemak? Do you also do onsite delivery? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe...love the slide show! just before breakfast too! I know what I'm gonna be having for breakfast today. ;-) thankfully, nasi lemak is available here in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know what dude... that pizza post that you had 4 days ago ??

    I have never seen that before - that normal chunks of sausages on that pizza crust looks freaking gigantic!!

    Though is just like any other pizza - i i see that picture in on a menu - im bound to order that - the idea is the, the " I WANT THAT ONE" dish lol

    oh i have also started to evaluate peoples dishes just by appreance hope you dont mind. 5* is MAX

    so i will start with your nasi lemak
    score : ****_

    ReplyDelete
  5. EVIL EVIL!! Nasi Lemak...gosh...can have it everyday...still 30 mins to lunch, how? Anyway...i know what to have for lunch oledi ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. NasiLemak!
    I will always as for lots and lots of ikanbillis and chilli!
    Haha, love these 2 lots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting your article shared! I love the idea of the Nasi Lemak too! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mamabok, i think so! It's in the coconut! The pandan leaves will make the rice a tad more aromatic!

    simcooks, have not thought of pricing yet. Onsite delivery? in newspapers or in banana leaves? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lyrical lemongrass, wah...think of nasi lemak and nasi lemak can appear right in front! So lucky!!!! *envy*

    sasi aka saz, hahahah....my pizza so small...almost 6inch or less only and it became so freaking gigantic! LOL!Must be due to the generous toppings! Wow, you score dishes? Thks for starting and scoring my nasi lemak :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. precious pea, you another lucky girl! Though can get nasi lemak in malaysian restaurants here, they are so ex! About US6-7+ for a simple nasi lemak...you know the cost of cucumber, ikan billis, sambal right? Here, really not worth eating nasi lemak out, oh man!

    ReplyDelete
  11. zhengning, wow...you sure can take the heat, huh?

    freya and paul, thks! You should try the Nasi Lemak dish if you travel to SE Asia anytime. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this post, I learned a lot! And congrats on the Serious Eats mention!


    Ari

    (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks mighty tasty! I love the idea of the Tom Yum Fried Rice, by the way ... I might just have to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ari, i'm glad you know more about this traditional dish :D

    little miss contrary, oh yes, it's mighty and it's tasty. Even the cucumber gets the might! The Tom Yum fried rice has a mild Tom Yum flavor. Hope you will like it when you do try it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never tried Nasi Lemak before...I need to find some S'porean friends where I live so I can try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can get banana leaves in the states too! Must be expensive.

    辣死你妈, 哈哈哈..... Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I once had a huge craving for otak-otak and decided to make some. Only problem was how to cook them. I wrapped them up in banana leaves and decided to put them under the grill. The banana leaves ended up burning (smells really weird!) however I managed to save the otak-otak - which was the important thing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great looking nasi lemak. Sounds delicioius too! I've never had this - please do you deliver? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. steamy kitchen,you should try it! Are there any s'poreans/Malaysian at all in your area? I believe Malaysian restaurants do a great nasi lemak too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ECL, yes...expensive (but I forgot how much liow)... 你不能吃辣 妈?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wokandspoon, at what temp did you grill them? My banana leaves only started to burn at the edges, but it was normal.I grilled at ~ 395F
    Guess what? I think you can steam them too, from where I came across in other blogs. Well, grilling and steaming brings out different aroma and texture, we all know. Depends you like or not.

    mae,oh you should try this too, quick quick!
    Where to, to deliver? ;p

    ReplyDelete