Red Kwali and Martin Yan - If Yan can cook, so can you! But can the restaurant?

A "Martin Yan" restaurant? - if it's owned by him, or just the food is endorsed by him...I don't know since he is neither Singaporean, Malaysian, Indonesian, nor Thai; and there are no Chinese dishes. But we saw his photos and newspaper cuttings of his fame, framed up and hung on the wall. Let me know if these are still there, if you were to visit this eatery some day. We were there for lunch.

A noodle and a rice dish. A kwali means a wok, essentially.

Nasi Goreng Mamak* $8.99 ~ Fried rice in chili tomato sauce with chicken, shrimps, vegetables and scrambled eggs

Assam Chilli Fried Noodle $8.99 ~ Yellow noodles in sambal udang sauce with (choice of) chicken or beef, shrimps, tomatoes, onions and red bell peppers

*Mamak (Indian Muslims) dishes have developed a distinctly Malaysian style. Available throughout Malaysia, the omnipresent Mamak stalls or restaurants are particularly popular among the locals as they offer a wide range of food and some outlets are open 24 hours a day.

Red Kwali
179 Ranch Drive, Milpitas, CA 95035
(Near Walmart)
Phone: (408) 262-2626
Open Monday to Saturday
Price:$$
Taste index:


Tag: , , ,

30 comments:

  1. Hmm. I've never tried any of his restaurants, but I did meet Martin Yan himself when he came to my school. He gave a cooking demo, showed off his fancy knife techniques, and played around with a chicken. I've got photos - of the chicken and of me and "Yan Can Cook" too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is Malaysian maybe....? as my colleague say so... :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. The restaurant got "two bowls"? Why? The dishes look totally delicious, esp. the fried rice. I love fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm....so big serving!!! I think for your 1 portion is equivalent to 3 portions here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Martin Yan. He tried to make Chinese cuisine available to the masses in the U.S., and I actually appreciate him doing that. It was nice to see an Asian face on the television.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ya lah those are huge portions. Does it taste like, or almost like the authentic stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, real huge portions - both of u polished the 2 plates in one go? Both look good. But taste good? u only gave 2 for the taste index... The noodles look like Malay fried mee goreng (with tomato sauce) which is yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. he is Malaysian !! I thinking it's Italian
    My name is Candy, nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! Now I've got to go out for lunch to see if I can find something similar...

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg, that all looks SO good, arrrrrrrrrrg! i love yan, i used to watch his show - he said "now wok over here..." hahaha still funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Martin Yan Malaysian?? I saw a comment up there that said he might be. Cos if he is then he spelt Kwali wrong, it should be Kuali - that's essentially wok in Malay :P hehe..

    It's a nice array of mamak style food there, did it taste good?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just checked, he's not Malaysian and he's born in GuangZhou. I guess he's cashing in on Malaysian Mamak food...

    Fellow Malaysian foodies who reads this blog...how can you let this happen?! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. The portions are HUGE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WC,you even met Martin Yan before? Cool! Did you get inspired by him into cooking, somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  15. thoo2, he is a Chinese, roots from China, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ming merciless, "2 bowls" coz the food was a lil' oily. Of course, they were tasty :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. precious pea, no lah...maybe 1 portion here equal 2 portions there lah! you make me feel I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. passionate eater, I only remember him for his quick knife techniques which always,without fail, seem to amuse his live audience.
    Seems that he is residing in CA now...wonder how true?

    ReplyDelete
  19. lyrical lemongrass, you make me feel I'm greedy(and not hungry)! But I don't know authetic or not...I must go Malaysia and taste the real deal first, before I can tellya :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tigerfish,
    I started cooking as a little girl when I helped my grandma in the kitchen. That was long before I met Martin Yan. He's very funny in person though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really Martin Yan's restaurant arh?

    I met Martin Yan a few times years ago, when he was in Singapore for the Annual Food Fair. I even have a few photos with him. All the photos he hugged me. I was in my 20s only wor. hehe....

    He really cooks well though, I tried a few of his dishes when he was demonstrating his skills at the Food Fair. Very funny guy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. He used to own a restaurant chain called SenAsia and the food was so bad I think they closed shop eventually. This one doesn't look that promising either...just from the photos...no wonder only 2 stars from you...hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. actually the fried rice do looked moist & nice..wahhh, luckily had some thai fried rice earlier w/anchovies and shrimp paste and dried shrimps muahahaha, now going for nestum susu, tata :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. omnivore, yes, you know me and my appetite right? :D But towards the last grain of rice, and last strand of noodle,we were already bloated! :O ...think coz it's oily.

    ReplyDelete
  25. pom d'api, heehee, defintely not italian! Thks for visiting me :)

    sara, back from lunch? Anything similar you have eaten for lunch ? ...ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  26. aria, Sg used to telecast his cooking pgms on morning TV. One of my friends is always commenting that Yan is just "bluffing" the foreigners about Chinese food by being and acting funny on TV. Hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  27. the expedited writer, I think the original restaurant (same site, same location) was really owned by him, called Yan Can..or something.
    But now occupied by Red Kwali(same site, same location), maybe the owners still wanted to use him as an "advertisment" though
    the current restaurant has nothing got to do with Martin Yan.
    On the food, it was not too bad, but like I told the rest, I gave "2 bowls" coz it got more and more oily, the more we ate.
    Perhaps, this is the result of wok-hei?

    ReplyDelete
  28. jeena, thanks for visiting me and leaving me comments. I hope to see you again :D

    simcooks, now you make me feel I'm a glutton! :O we finished all the food, you know ! jUst 2 of us...

    ReplyDelete
  29. WC, he's funny on TV too.

    ECL,dunno if it's still owned by him. You asked him to hug you before taking photos isit? Must pose pose mah....muhahaha

    ReplyDelete
  30. RM, hahah...we Asians can SENSE mah, when the food good or not..so he chose a bad restaurant name...heee heee...
    I think yours more promising lah...

    MW, sounds a better meal than this...we only have bei gun shui after the meal :O

    ReplyDelete