Teppanyaki-Style Stir Fry Udon - my replacement for Stir Fry Udon in Black Pepper Sauce

Do you like udon, ramen or soba ?

I would usually choose udon if I feel like a noodle dish on that day, and if I happen to be in a Japanese restaurants/cafe. Not because I love udon that much, but ramen just reminds me of instant noodles and soba is a cold dish (my preference is for a warm noodle soup dish anytime).

While udon is usually served the soup-version, my lasting impression for udon is actually the stir-fried version in spicy black pepper sauce. Some Chinese restaurants serve this but it's a rare find.

I don't have black peppercorns to start with, for the black pepper sauce - I'm not going to get the pepper-oomph-n-kick in this dish, even if I try cooking it. Instead, I opted for the teppanyaki version. Teppanyaki ingredients (meat, scallion, buma shimeiji mushrooms); Japanese noodles(udon), and Chinese-style cooking (stir fry), does this make fusion again?

Related fusion posts:
Linguine vongole with Chinese Shaoxing wine
Pasta a la Bak Chor Mee
Tom Yum Fried Rice


Cool Slideshows

Teppanyaki-Style Udon, or Stir-Fry Udon (serves 2)
Ingredients:
-1 pack fresh udon, 1lb or less; blanched before frying
-6oz, less than 1/2lbs ground beef (substitute with ground turkey or other meats you wish)
-1 small pack buma shimeji mushrooms
-1 piece ginger, small sized, julienned into finger lengths
-2 stalks scallions/spring onions, bias-cut into finger lengths
-black pepper, to taste
-dark soy sauce, to taste

Method:
1.Heat oil in pan, and fry all the ingredients EXCEPT the udon. This will take about 5-7mins for all flavors to be released, interact and fuse
2. You can dish up and serve it now with your steamed rice


3. You can add in udon noodles for mix-in and stir fry as a noodle dish


This is my entry for Presto Pasta Night.

Tag: , , ,

23 comments:

  1. The udon always look like hokkien mee :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great - I love udon. I have never tried Soba, I don't know why, I have some in the cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer ramen and soba, I dislike udon becos so fat. I dun like fat noodles or pasta. See lah, eat oso must choose thin ones. hehe...

    Haha tigerfish!
    I have tagged you with a foody meme. It's an opportunity for you to showcase the food in your state in USA.

    I'm curious to know what the dishes consist of and what specialities they have.

    I'm sure my large Asian-based readers would be very interested to know the food culture too.

    And please pass the meme to 5 of your blogger friends and let's keep this cultural food meme going.

    For details, read my latest post.

    Do it at your own pace but pls keep this meme going. ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, the slide show is a nice touch! I feel as though I am in the kitchen with you Tiger Fish! Thanks for sharing this invention, I've never had udon outside of soup, so I'd love to try this. :) The meat looks fantastic and that it would flavor the noodles very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love udon noodles. Enoki mushrooms are pretty expensive over here so normally I just use shitake mushrooms as a substitute. I have to try stir-frying udon noodles sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tigerfish, if you are in S'pore, you can try this cheap Japanese restaurant. They have all sorts of food. Pick up all the ice-cream sticks for the food you like and they will be served at your table within 15 mins. My family usually spends only about S$10 per person there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tigerfish,
    You should come to SoCal. All the Chinese cafes serve sizzling udon stir-fries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. pablopabla, I think it looks like Malaysian hokkien mee. After looking at a few My'sian food blogs, I realized the hokkien mee in Sg, and Mysia is very different.

    sara, soba is great too! Just that it's usually served cold in the restaurant. Makes a good summer dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ECL, you are like my hoobie. He does not like udon too, but because of the texture.
    I'll try my best at the food meme, coz we don't eat out that often leh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. passionate eater, come come...come to my small little kitchen. With 2 persons, there will be no space to walk in my kitchen, though :(
    Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hedgehog, I think shitake is more expensive than enoki here. But buma shimeji is different from enoki and shitake except...they
    are all mushrooms. LOL!

    Victor, sounds a good deal! Thks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wandering Chopsticks, ALL? You mean ALL? Actually, I was referring to the Chinese restaurants back in Sg.
    I'm quite sure now that stir fry udon is not rare in the chinese restaurants in US. Is it because they don't know how to do other noodles? Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! Love udon, perhaps can try out your recipe this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i like soba. both cold and warm soba. yes, they serve warm soba too..

    i cook my stir fry udon a bit wetter. realise that when kids come over, they like udon more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha! Tigerfish,
    More like the Chinese cafes serve almost every type of noodle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wah, all these Japanese ingredients and my Japanese dishes...are we turning Japanese? :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. lipz, yep! Ingredients should be quite readily available by weekend for you ? Let me know how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Udon noodles, especially in a broth with some tempura prawns on the side. They're sometimes hard to find here but I've just been told about a big Japanese supermarket not too far away so I'll be stocking up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fusion or not, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. keropok man, i know there is warm soba but cold soba is generally more common in Jap. restaurant. A cold soba is always good to have
    in hot humid S'pore. I've even have those served with ice before :O
    Ok, I shall try do a warm soba next.

    wandering chopsticks, maybe just in California. :D

    RM, Konichiwa!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ros, yep, tempura udon is one of the more common ones. Quick, go stock up! :) Thks for visiting.

    freya and paul, just something simple. Isn't it like a Teppanyaki Bolognese ?

    ReplyDelete
  22. hmmm. I guess one could cook Malaysian hokkien mee with udon. I used to hate soba in the early days, but now I've developed an appreciation for cold noodles. Must be the age thing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. lyrical lemongrass, when I hear keropok man say the kids like udon and now you are saying it's "the age thing" to like soba, I'm starting to think hard...
    No lah, I'm not young either, but I like udon. Probably I need to "re-eat" a good ol' cold soba sometime and rekindle my liking for soba!

    ReplyDelete