Tom Yum/ Tom Yam - Soup or Rice


Tom-Yum is commonly known as a soup originating from Thailand. However, you can have your fried rice that is infused with tom yum flavors too - characterized by the distinct hot and sour flavors of fragrant herbs. You could get commercial tom yum paste (usually made by crushing all the herb ingredients, stir-fried in oil, then bottled) to make the soup, or like what I did - to make a one-dish meal.

Tom Yum/Tom Yam Fried Rice (serves ~4)
Ingredients:
-10 medium-size prawns or shrimps
-0.8lbs long beans, cut into thin slices on the bias
-2 fresh red chilli, sliced thinly
-1 stalk lemongrass, use bottom white part
-1tbsp Tom Yum Paste
- some water
(Optional: eggs, whisked and fried as plain omelette, cut into strips for garnish, frozen corn,
edamame beans, thinly sliced jalopeno peppers for that extra spice)

Method:
1. Cook rice as per normal
2. Heat some oil in frying pan, saute the prawns/shrimps on both sides till cooked. Dish out and set aside
3. Fry all the long beans, red chilli, jalopeno peppers, corn in the same oil, add Tom Yum Paste and some water(adjust according) and fry for 5-8mins
4. Add in the prawns and mix well. Make sure there is some gravy but not too wet since you do not want the rice to be too soggy

5. Add in the mixture into the rice while in the rice cooker. Mix the rice well with the Tom Yum mixture of long beans, chillis, peppers and shrimps

Note: If you have been following my blog posts, you would have noticed that I usually don't fry the rice in the wok/frying pan since I don't have a big enough wok to allow "all ingredients break loose in the wok", and more importantly, I usually don't cook more rice, intentionally for leftovers. Fried rice is typically easier to do with leftover cold rice. I have more "rice -cooker -style fried rice" featured at the bottom of this post. Easy cooking without sacrificing taste. Still yummy!

7. I want to eat now!

Related rice dishes:
Cabbage Fried Rice with Leftover Roasted Pork(Char Siew)
Curry Tonkatsu Don - Japanese Pork Cutlets with Rice and Curry
Braised Chicken Rice


Tag: , , ,

46 comments:

  1. I love tom yam anything, and it is usually my comfort food when I'm abroad. This looks like a recipe I'd definitely love to try. thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh..nice nice...if not because my of sore throat, I sure will go out and pack tom yum fried lunch for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure it's delicious by the looks of it (and the ingredients involved). Add a couple of pieces of keropok and a glass of sirap limau drink, bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dish and beautiful pictures. It's all about the natural sun light. I made 福建虾面:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colourful and appetising. But I still prefer Tom Yum Soup which packs a oomph!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I love the idea! Wonder if I can do the same with Pho paste! I have a bottle of it but am really so sick of drinking Pho, so maybe one day I'll copy you and make a stir-fried rice version! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought of making rice with tom yum paste. You're a genius.

    Like you said, we must've had tom yum on our minds at the very exact time. :)

    I'll trade a bowl of my tom yum soup with one portion of your rice. :)

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! another "restaurant-style" yummy dish. BTW, SG fOOd expo is here soon! Check it out http://www.singaporefoodexpo.org.sg/
    If u are coming back then, u may like to drop by. I will be there on one of those days =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. V have tried some in town and felt let down mostly. somehow it doesn't tastes tomyam ! But now...maybe. It does look very nice but a real pity ( how to get from u ah ?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo.. i can almost taste the tomyam in the rice now.

    i love tom yam soup. especially those that can instantly cure a headache. it's like an instant headache cure!

    your whole wok seems to be filled with ingredients. your rice looks like a minor ingredients liao lor...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woa... looks so appetising. The Slim Lady would love this... she's a sucker when it comes to tom yam. I must try one day.

    BTW, I've tagged you, yet again. Sorry lah... ECL again lor... This one is quite a chore, so do it only if you really one to hor. Check out my blog. Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lyrical lemongrass, me too! Tom Yum or Assam, all I like. Sourish and spicy with the zang and tang :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. precious pea, now...you better take more porrridge...after you are well, then chiong for all the spicy food
    again :p

    ReplyDelete
  14. pablopabla, keropok must borrow from keropok man!
    You are the only one I know that cook "fried rice" the "rice-cooker style"...kekekekke..homestyle.

    RM,can share share ?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am always amazed by your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ECL,ya lah...Tom Yum soup I also like a lot...but this makes a good one-dish meal mah! And can cook a lot, then re-heat and have more one-dish meals...
    You will know when you hv no money like me...

    shilpa, got such thing as Pho pasta meh? What does it taste like? I think you could try..add some beef/chicken slices and lotsa of onions,then got Pho-flavored rice. But Pho means noodles right? Wonder if it's just meant for noodles/soup *scratch head*

    ReplyDelete
  17. mae, I still have Tom Yum paste in my mind. Wonder what I would make next? I'm all for barter trade! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. omnivore, long time no hear! You go to the SG EXPO and see see look look eat eat on my behalf lah!

    ReplyDelete
  19. team bsg, i think the rice version Tom Yum is milder than the soup. I must learnt the new art of food storage/packaging first
    so that the rice can reach ya warm, nice, and fragrant :p

    ReplyDelete
  20. keropok man, hee hee...I cooked a lot of rice also ler! After putting all the ingredients to mix with the rice, the rice cooker was full to the brim :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. chris, looks like your Slim Lady likes sour and spicy food also hor...
    Alamak, tagged again!? 放过我吧 !
    I will check it out...hope it's not the ECL one...coz I want to go to same place as her...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tigerfish,
    I love tom yum. It's a wonder the Thais didn't think of this dish themselves. I sometimes put tom yum past on fish and bake it. It's tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmm this looks so good! I love all fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never heard of tom yum fried rice, but I love the soup. This really is a great idea Tiger Fish! And from the looks of it, the "rice cooker style fried rice" is equally as delicious as wok cooked fried rice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wandering chopsticks, hey...thks for the paste and bake tip! I would love to try it. I guess the Thai are not famous for any of their rice dishes...their Pad Thai noodles is more popular. :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. amy, how many different kinds of fried rice dishes have you tried? I'm curious :)

    passionate eater, the "rice cooker style fried rice" is easier. I tell you why - It's easier to wash the rice cooker than to wash a wok that has just done fried rice. ;p Plus, less oil required.

    ReplyDelete
  27. woman, i was talking about ready-made paste for making pho bo soup.. over here, can find it either in cubes or in a paste.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This Tom Yam me love, but I agree with eastcoastlife, love the soup still more than the delicious rice.

    Yesterday only took water, fishsauce, lime, chili, lotsa garlic n stalks of fresh coriander, tomato boilboilboil, add a fish and tadaa: food ready (nah, not on a idet, had been making chocoats for easter and euhm... needed to taste :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a great fusion idea! And they look so beautiful, I'm sure it tastes superb!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds both delicious and unique!


    Ari (Baking and Books)

    ReplyDelete
  31. simcooks,there are more creative ideas about how others use the paste, from the comments here :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. shilpa, ya lah, i meant that too. So, can add beef and onions and some basil and do a fried rice or not?

    ReplyDelete
  33. theskinnycook, of course I'm with you and eastcoastlife. When I'm in a Thai restaurant, I will order Tom yum soup without fail.
    Heehee...
    But this is good for a one dish meal. For the next 2 days, I don't even have to cook any rice to go with soup. I just reheat and
    eat the Tom yum rice :O
    I'm with you on your quick fish dish...I like your style :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gattina, it tastes great. Already the second time I'm cooking this :)

    Ari, thanks for coming by. If you like Tom Yum, you will love this.

    ReplyDelete
  35. look at the perfect little domes, YUM!

    this looks so good, arrrrgh i'm so hungry now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. aria, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. tiger, I love TYFR too, hey, if u got some fresh herbs ie. mints, kaffir lime leaves, chopped them real fine, and stir-fry altogether, u'll definitely love it, tt extra oomph, its like eating the ulam2 w/nasi briyani like tt, yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. MW, no have all these fresh herbs leh! But I'm sure if the next time I have these, I will add them in! Always yearning for that extra oomph and kick in my food!:p

    ReplyDelete
  39. ooohhh .... I love tom yum. I'm gonna make this for sure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wah, i really love ur simple cooking.i think tdy my husband is going to be so impressed with me, since we r so deprived n long for gd spicy food in Los Angeles.i used the knorr cubes for the tom yam btw. Thank u so much......

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi can I get the brand of Tom Yum Paste from you? If I was to get it, I probably will not know what to get, there's probably tons on variety of the paste. I would like to get the one your using. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I bought Lee's brand. I wish I could take a picture for you but it's all gone now :O

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would love to make this as soon as I can get out and buy some tom yum paste. It's one of my favorite dishes, so I'm sure I'll like this in rice form as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi, I was getting ready to make this...when do you add in the lemon grass?

    ReplyDelete