One-dish chicken rice meal

This is the second time I'm making braised chicken rice. Can't help but feel that the first time was better. I don't know why. It tasted ok, just not as fragrant as the first time. One of those simpler recipes from the stack of cut-outs (cut-outs from magazines, newspapers) that I've brought with me here. Never use them then, but turn out quite handy here. I've giving out the exact recipe from the cut-out, since I made some modifications here and there, and do not want to "discredit" the original recipe.


Braised chicken rice (serves 4)
Ingredients:
- 1kg chicken, cut into 4-cm pieces (I use chicken thigh and cut them into bite-size)
-2 cups rice, washed
-3 cups water
-1 tbsp oil
-2 cm ginger, cut into strips
-2 cloves garlic, chopped
-10 Chinese mushrooms, soaked in water, stalks removed, caps cut into halves (I substituted with crimini mushrooms)
-1 tsp salt
-1 tbsp black soy sauce

Marinade:
-1 tbsp sesame oil
-2 tbsp black soy sauce
-1 tbsp light soy sauce (I left this out, intentionally)
-1 tbsp oyster sauce
(p.s. added some Wocestershire sauce instead, ~ 1 tsp)

Method:
1.Mix the chicken with marinade (I did this ~2 hrs before I started to cook; then leave marinated chicken in the fridge)
2.Cook the rice and water in rice cooker (the usual way...)
3.Heat oil in pan; stir-fry ginger and garlic till fragrant (before this step, I fried some shallots so that the shallots could flavor the rice later; and the "shallot" oil could flavor the chicken as well)
4.Add marinated chicken and mushrooms; cook for 5-8 mins. If the mixutre looks dry, add water. Mix well
5.When rice starts to boil, add some salt and black soy sauce, to taste. Stir well, cover and continue cooking
6.Once rice is cooked, top the chicken mix over the rice in the rice cooker. Cover lid, and let it stand for 15 mins (Before letting it stand, I added some scallions to garnish and add flavor. Add in the fried shallots at this time too)
7.When ready to serve, you can fluff up the rice, season with salt and pepper, if necessary.

Tag: , ,