Uh-oh, I'm not doing entire justice to Californian cuisine here. First, hardly dine-out. Second, would always prefer an Asian meal to a Western one, not because we are not accustomed to Western food, but simply because our taste buds are constantly lusting for those Southeast Asian spices and flavor that we grew up with. Whatever that is, my favorite places may not reflect California's overall food culture, and thus not very well-represented.
California's substantial Chinese American communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Los Angeles County include (take a deep inhale...) Korean American, Japanese American, Cambodian American, Vietnamese American, Thai American, Indian American, Filipino American, Pakistani American, Persian American, Armenian American, and Arab American (exhale....) etc etc.
We are in luck! It's not that difficult to get Asian food within our vicinity (Silicon Valley, Bay Area) afterall. Only a matter of authenticity. Not sure if these are my FAVORITES but these five eateries are generally economical and has gained an "above average" rating in terms of taste and flavor. In other words, these are eateries that we would return for a second, third or nth bite. In S'porean colloquialism (with Singlish) - cheap and good LAH!
1. Yum Cha! Dim Sum! It's odd but we have dim sum here more frequently than in Singapore. That's because we cannot get Yong Tau Foo, Prawn Mee, Economy Bee Hoon, and Chai Tow Kway - Fried Carrot Cake for breakfast (breakfast means 7am!).Here, we can only wait till 10am or 11am(most of the times-typical opening hours) and it's usually a brunch dim-sum at either Hong Kong Saigon Restaurant, or Bamboo Garden, both at Sunnyvale.
2. A good ol' bowl of noodle soup at either Pho Nam Restaurant at Sunnyvale with that comforting and richly seasoned beef broth ladled over rice noodles and thinly sliced flank beef; or at New Tung Kee for that close-to-home kway teow teng ~rice noodle soup with pork and chicken slices, meatballs, then garnished with spring onions and tung chai (is that salty Chinese cabbage?)
3. I'm for Indian food in California. How does tandoori chicken, naan, goat curry sound? Turmeric Restaurant offers lunch buffet ($10.95 per person; ~$11.80 adding tax) with a spread of appetizers and entrees. We love dipping those naan in the curries. The curries and tandoori chicken goes well with the saffron rice too. I'm salivating again!4. Thai Basil for Thai food. Voted "Best Thai Restaurant in Silicon Valley" (but only in 2003). What happened in 2004, 2005, 2006? We are already in 2007! Love their Thai curries - traditional green curry, thai basil chicken, and beef curry. Am salivating again. It's the spice's and chilli's fault, not mine!
5. Fast food! Or rather burgers! More like cheeseburgers! The classic kind - "...two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese,
Since I've had the privilege and honor, to have some readers based in other parts of the world, I would love to know their top 5 favorite food hunts too (excluding the best one at home, of course!). So the next time I'm visiting you at your location, I'll be eating AT YOUR AREA!
1. Add a direct link to your post below the name of the person who tagged you. Include the state and country you’re in
Nicole (Sydney, Australia)
velverse (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
LB (San Giovanni in Marignano, Italy)
eastcoastlife (East Coast, Singapore)
teczcape - an escape to food (California, USA)
2. List out your top 5 favorite places to eat at your location.
3. Tag 5 other people (preferably from other countries/states)...and let them know they’ve been tagged.
I tagged...
Sara(Alberta, Canada)
Freya and Paul(Essex, Great Britain)
Wok and Spoon(Paris, France)
Amy (Seattle, Washington)
Passionate Eater (San Francisco, Californa)
[...simply because I... would love to tour Canada someday and would love to know more about their food, and culture;... need to
After taking a look at the various cuisines - from Mexican to Cuban, Wandering Chopsticks has been recently enjoying, could I just add you in, to share with us 5 favourite places to eat at you area ? Let me take a peek at SoCal's food, to make sure I hunt down the best food when I visit.
So, fellow foodies I've just tagged, would be great if we could learn from you, more about food, cuisines and culture all around the world. You could do this meme at your comfort pace but do let the joy of eating carry on. Thanks! *munching...munching...munching*
It looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteThanks for tagging us! Don't panic though - we do live in the UK but Paul is American. I'm English through and through. Look forward to doing this meme! Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteI've been to Thai Basil too! Tried their red, green and yellow curry and I like their green chicken (not beef) curry over the rest. Their yellow curry is a bit sweet. Their Tom Yum soup is not so nice though. A bit too sour. The Tom Yum Soup in Penang Village is nicer.
ReplyDeleteI've been to another cheap Indian Buffet in Sunnyvale Village but cannot remember the restaurant name. I like the spread there.
freya and paul, phew...thanks! You suddenly made me miss UK a bit.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletesimcooks, i either go for green or red curries in Thai restaurants. Don't know why. Yellow curries seem to me more S'porean/Malaysian/Indian.
ReplyDeleteGreen chicken curry is mild and nice. The red curry I like is the beef curry, but it's more spicy. Can eat till sweat wan know, and this is California leh..not Singapore :O ...Never tried ther TY soup before and I know I won't since you said so :p
Ya la...Banjara lah! You told me and I went to try liow. But I prefer Turmeric leh...though it's 2 bucks more ex. than Banjara, the quality AND service(I felt) was slightly better. But I agree, the spread may not be as wide as Turmeric but the service in Banjara sucks! For that same 15% tip I have to pay, I rather place it with Turmeric. ;p
Thank you for tagging me Tigerfish! I'd love to participate! And thanks for the sweet compliment! But you have great taste and know your California restaurants too!
ReplyDeleteThanks for yet again completing another assignment... hehehe... I promise to bring you go eat good food when you come back to Singapore.
ReplyDeleteGlad that you still manage to get good Chinese n Indian food in your area.
Wow oh wow! The people you tag are living in exciting places n seem to be able to give good reviews. Must wait patiently.....
passionate eater, nah...I'm not an all-rounder-eater in CA. Pretty unbalanced! You will know it when you look through my "food review" portions ;p
ReplyDeleteECL, 你说的! *printin this- 白纸黑字 * ;p
ReplyDeleteI think the Indian food is good here. But maybe I seldom eat Indian food in Sg coz must go to crowded Serangoon or Little India to get nice ones. Here, my fav. Thai, Chinese and Indian food are just few steps away from one another.
Tigerfish,
ReplyDeleteThanks for tagging me! I have a few ideas in mind of places I want to share. :D
I wish Seattle had better Chinese food though. :/ Seems like all the good places are across the border in Vancouver.
tigerfish,
ReplyDeleteyou are in Sunnyvale ah? That's where Yahoo! is right?
Have a friend who lives and works there! yes, in our fav search company :-)
Lol. I know all those places! I grew up in Saratoga, so we used to eat in Cupertino and Sunnyvale a lot.
ReplyDeleteamy , thanks for being such a great sport! I'm in for a treat soon:)
ReplyDeleteKM, so you prefer Yahoo to Google? Yep, sunny sunny, the birthplace of Yahoo, and AMD too!
ReplyDeletechubbypanda, I'm really glad these old-time fav. stayed open till now. Maybe I should go further and try some food in Saratoga next time :D
ReplyDeletewooo.... Thai Basil *drooling for tom yam and mango with sticky rice*
ReplyDeleteI'm a bit behind - thanks for tagging! There's definitely more than just onion soup in France - however, I love onion soup!
ReplyDeletenicely done meme!!! very delicious!! mmmm.... thanks for doing the meme and hope you had fun!
ReplyDeleteYou forgot to include Taiwanese American!
ReplyDeleteI just started reading your blog and I absolutely love all of your recipes, they're easy and seem to be things that a beginner like me can learn to make.
A great restaurant that I highly recommend is Silver House in San Mateo..They have this Eggplant hot pot with XO sauce. It's mind blowing.
Good job with the blog, I definitely enjoy reading it =]
velverse, me drooling for tom yam
ReplyDeletewokandspoon, I tasted one of the better french onion soup in Paris, as well.
nicole,you're welcome :D
jessica, oh yes, I forgot! :O ...geez...the word "XO sauce" is already a bomb itself!
Thks for enjoying my blog. :D I know there's always room for improvement.