Braising them with mushrooms, turning them into a one-dish rice meal, grilling them in skewers, stir frying with fruits, steaming them like a pizza. NOW, it's frying them deep.
Spices, herbs, and sauces/syrup induce different flavor to grilled, baked or fried chicken. This time round, I wanted mine spicy, crispy and quick. No herbs, just spices; and the "no-bake" so-called unhealthy route.
Easy spicy fried chicken (drummettes, drumlets or wings serves 2)
Ingredients:
-6 small chicken drummettes (make 2-3 incisions per drummette for marinating)
-1tsp crushed ginger
-1tbsp curry powder
-1tsp turmeric powder
-1tsp sambal belachan chilli paste
-1tbsp cornflour
-dash of salt
-1tsp brown cane sugar
Related posts:
Lychee chicken - Fruity style
Chicken satay - Skewer style
Basil chicken - Thai style
Method:
1. Mix all the ingredients and marinade for one hour(in the fridge).
2. Heat oil to medium-high in a frying pan, deep fry marinated chicken 3-5mins each side.
3. Serve hot to warm
Related posts:
Coriander Chicken -Baba style
Steamed chicken with ginger and spring onions - Pizza style
Braised chicken - Homestyle
Which style do you like ?
Tag: chicken, deep fried, spicy
Those look so delicious! I haven't had chicken wings in a long, long time.
ReplyDeleteOMG! It's so drool-worthy! Now, I'm seriously craving chicken wings.
ReplyDeleteDid you use red or yellow curry powder? I wonder if I can stir fry this rather than deep fry so that I don't use so much oil. I have chicken wings defrosting in the fridge RIGHT NOW - 6 full wings rather than 6 drummettes. How can 6 drummettes be enough? They look so good!
ReplyDeletesara, you could try this if you have those spices on hand. They are good! You can bake them.
ReplyDeletehakkahouse, the only part I did not like was the deep-frying part. But you know what, I think baking works too.
simcooks, I think cannot stir fry...later turn into curry chicken how? My curry powder a bit orangey (mix of red and yellow? buahahhaha)
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can try the baking method.It may not attain the same level of crispiness as to deep-fried wings, but I think it'll still be good. If your wings bigger (you can fly)...hahha....no lah, you can make more incisions to make sure they are cooked when baked.
Why 6? Coz I also no like deep-frying leh( now you know how those stubborn stains on the stove top came from)...and worry I don't do a good job in deep -frying. So I don't want to "sacrifice" the drumlets in case of my folly
I was told that to fry tasty chickens, we need only to marinate them in two ingredients - soya sauce and pepper. Haven't tried them, though. I always use the pre-mix powder bought from the supermarket.
ReplyDeleteCan I choose both? It looks like both are equally crispy and coated in flavoring! But I think I generally like drumettes more than the wings, because they remind me of being a kid and imagining I was a giant eating a regular sized drumstick!
ReplyDeletei love fried chicken! Also, bbq ones and Hakka's "red rice wine chicken".
ReplyDeleteI love deep fried chicken but refrain from eating them. I usually eat the Hainanese steam chicken or oven baked chicken.
ReplyDeletehaiz... yum yum yum....
The drumlettes look delicious! I could really eat some of that chicken now after a boring lunch (crackers with butter!)!
ReplyDeleteThese are my favourite kind of chicken wings! Slurp! Your latest culinary experiments on spicy and tantalising dishes is giving me a bad case of gastritis.... Man, I wish I can find some mesmerising morsels in my neighbourhood!
ReplyDeletechris, I was also told 五香粉 , some oyster sauce, and coke works! ;p But soya sauce+pepper will also work lah! They are very safe.
ReplyDeleteHow come you don't want to try soya sauce+pepper, at home no dou you meh?
passionate eater, of course you could! I actually prefer wings to drumettes but I happen to have drumettes "in stock" for the week ;p And another unhealthy reason why I like wings is because the wings have less flesh, more skin :O ...
ReplyDeleteomnivore, ya ya...is it called hong zhao ji ?
ReplyDeleteECL, wah...so healthy arh?
I also like Hainanese steam chicken and oven baked chicken ler...braised also like, grilled also like..
haiz....
freya and paul, crackers with butter ? But you will have a delicious dinner coming your way? Mutton braised or stew with rhubarbs ;p
ReplyDeletecool insider, this is actually more Malay-style ! Coz of the belacan and the turmeric! The spicy dishes in US is not so authentic compared to SE Asian. Lack that oomph! So best to cook spicy dishes at home.
ReplyDeleteSg is so convenient to grab a bite anytime...you can go ta pao some now.
Yup, Smart Girl!
ReplyDeletethis style looks good! with ingredients like ginger, tumeric and sambal, i am sure it will turn out great!
ReplyDeletei see you put in brown sugar too. i think i have tried something similar but i did not deep fry them, i put them in the oven and baked under very low heat. it turns out something similar too. :-)
by the way, i was looking at simcooks post and i saw toufu, i suddenly thought of you! have you tried eating toufu from the pack yet?? haha...
KM, I don't buy normal white sugar leh. I only have cane/brown sugar;p
ReplyDeleteYes, yes, the next time, I wanna try baking. Less mess, less splatter.
Not yet ler...so I am the unusual one who don't eat tofu out of the pack, tt's y you remember? LOL!