This salsa is made from the perfect chrome-yellow mango, and is dedicated to A Taste of Yellow.
Ate the mango as a fruit, biting the yellow cubes of flesh off the skin. So sweet...this mango is.
Homemade Mango Salsa (serves 2-3)
Ingredients:
Mango, cut into small cubes; kiwis, cut into small pieces; some water chestnuts, cut into small cubes; handful of cilantro leaves, chopped finely; some sliced almonds and lime juice.
Method:
1. Easy- Just mix all the ingredients and set aside in fridge.
2. The mango salsa looks like this:
For the mango salsa, I've used it to top over halibut fillets.
Other than salmon, halibut is another nutrient-dense fish (a very good source of high quality protein, and rich in significant amounts of nutrients including the minerals selenium, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium).
Known as the "steak" of seafood, halibut is naturally lean, has a delicately sweet flavor (definitely no muddy taste even in frozen form), has snow white flesh and a firm texture. It really pairs well with the light and zesty tangy mango salsa.
Pan-fried/Sauteed Halibut with Mango Salsa (serves 2-3)
Ingredients: 2 halibut fillets, some salt and pepper, and mango salsa prepared earlier
Method:
1. With the thawed halibut fillets, dab dry and season with some salt and pepper
2. Heat some olive oil in saute pan at low-medium heat
3. Pan-fry one side of the halibut for about 5-6mins (Note: DO NOT turn the fillet while sauteing one side)
4. After 5-6mins, turn the fillet over and pan-fry for another 4-5mins
5. While pan-frying the other side, spoon the mango salsa on the already cooked top-side
6. Use a aluminum foil to cover top-side of fillet that is topped over with salsa, while pan-frying the other side.
Note: The salsa - which is basically a fruit medley need not be cooked. Covering with the foil circulates the heat of frying within the fillets while frying and warms the mango salsa simultaneously, so that the entire dish - fish and salsa, is served warm.
7. Serve immediately
Another nice summer dish, do you think so ?
Other posts:
Baked/grilled salmon kebab
Pan-fried fish with homemade pesto sauce
Linguine vongole
Look at that snow white flesh of halibut and the colorful salsa - what a contrast of colors.
Tag: fish, halibut, mango salsa, salsa, seafood
Haha! OMG, Tigerfish! Jinx! I literally just posted my mango salsa recipe and mentioned mango-pineapple salsa goes well with fish. Then I hop over here and what do I see. We are food soulmates for sure. :)
ReplyDeleteyou know...i miss the kind of mangoes i found in Indonesia. here, too boring and no flavor!
ReplyDeletelove your halibut, it's one of the best fish!
*ding* *ding* *ding* My eyes are blinking, i love mango and i love halibut!! this dish seems rather easy to fix. hehe.. i shall see if i can find halibut in Rio, can i replaced it wif other fish??
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious, and what great colors!
ReplyDeletewandering chopsticks, and I swear I did not conspire this with you :O
ReplyDeleteeliza, we are able to get those manila mangoes over here. Those that are seen in SE Asia. Within a month, I've tried manila, kent and hayden mangoes, and I have to agree the manila ones are still da best! For the other two, need to be lucky to get ripe and flavorful one :D
Tiga - I salute you. Recently I am constantly blown away by your creativity and new recipes. You are a top chef in the making. :)
ReplyDeleteBy the way, how do you cut the mango until they are so nice? You have to teach me...aiya, I better send you an email. :)
Your pictures are getting better by the day, too...I am so happy for you. :)
As a vegetarian, I prefer the pic of the mango and I love eating mango. But nice pic and I believe it taste good too.
ReplyDeleteSo any vegetarian simple dishes to recommend?
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletezee zee, yes...wld think other fish will work (just not tigerfish, LOL!). Just wonder how it will pair up with salmon though since salmon taste different from other white fish fillets. :D
ReplyDeletesara, thks! The salsa does not overpower the halibut in terms of taste. Just what I wanted. I was "warned" by "the other one" in my home that halibut has a natural flavor and should be prepared in the simplest manner in order not to kill that "natural" taste.
RM, heyyo...哪有哪有, 差得远! 还要多多向你学习!
ReplyDelete偶而心血来潮而已.You never noticed meh? Only once in a while I have totally new imaginations/recipes. Most of the times are variants or mutants or hybrids.
So hard to explain the cutting, by words, I will draw for you :D ...or maybe I post it on my upcoming next week :p
How do you cut and eat mangoes then? This way is the least wasteful way to eat mangoes!
Pictures? Camera still same, person who takes the pix still the same, but I remember those magic words!
Oh I love mangoes!! How did you pile SO MUCH mango salsa on that fish?! Thats good balancing!
ReplyDeleteYour mangoes look so so sweet :) and lots of "meat" too.
ReplyDeleteWow what a delicious salsa! I love mangoes!
ReplyDeletetigerfish,
ReplyDeletewah.. u can resist not touching the mangoes until after you finish cooking.
if it's me, i cut up the mangoes, i will be so tempted to finish it up immediately, sure cannot prepare the dish liao!
the other day (in my prev post), I tasted chicken with mangoes too. not too bad...
I cut my mangoes like this too because they're easier to eat like this. Your mango looks sweet!
ReplyDeleteThe dish looks great. Makes me so hungry!!!
Btw, i've tagged you - hope you don't mind. :)
pauline, you've given me a difficult task...er...can you eat eggs? With the salsa, I am thinking (really based on imagination) that they might be good with eggs? Really not sure :O
ReplyDeletesteamy kitchen, as much as I could!As long as the salsa does not topple over, keep on piling! :D
ReplyDeletesimcooks, yep, this was definitely "meaty" and less fibrous compared to manila mangoes. Sweet!
I do like manila mangoes, still.
Normally most of your wonderful creations make my mouth water. This time though I am a bit unsure as err... fruit and fish? ;)
ReplyDeleteMaybe I need to be proven wrong... Now is there a way to DHL or FedEx that all the way from US to here? ;)
amy, yes! I was happy when I found mangoes in the supermarket recently. Should be in season :)
ReplyDeletekeropokman, hahahha! only saved some for the salsa. The rest...ate them up fast, man!
Yep, saw your post. And I think mangoes really pairs well with savory food :D
Tt's why they are served as chutneys in some indian cuisines. Hahah, must ask shilpa!
Mae, ha...yes, easier to eat and no wasting of a single cube of flesh ! Sweet!
ReplyDeleteThks for tagggin but I've done this meme before! :O I'll try to see if I can find five more things that pple
don't know about me. That's a challenge.
cool insider, oh I tellya, it's good! Fruits don't go well with fish all the time...errr..
ReplyDeleteeg...durian with fish....???
But fruits with a tang eg lemon, lime, and mangoes generally go well with fish. DHL/FEDEX- it's a fish we are talking about here. Hmmm....
hmmm...quick-freeze may work.
Yum - mangos in a salsa! No chilli? Sorry, I'm a chilli freak!
ReplyDeletewokandspoon, ok ok....chilli next time, okie ;p ?
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! You do have a lot of good ideas on how to make food look nicer (and no doubt, taste good as well)!
ReplyDeleteAgain, summer is coming and I would need to try to make this mango salsa.
That's a truly beautiful mango. I love mango and fish as a combination. Thank you for contributing.
ReplyDeletewindy, there are so many ways to make mango salsa and I would say this is more "chinese" since it has water chestnuts for that added crunch!
ReplyDeletebabara thanks! I've not try combining mangoes and fish this way before and I'm happy it turn out so good!