Yam/Taro Rice (serve 4)
Ingredients:
-2.5 cups rice, washed
-1 piece of medium-sized peeled and cooked yam/taro, diced
-1tbsp dried shrimps, soaked for 5mins, chopped to small pieces
-300gpork belly, seasoned (can be an option)
-salt & pepper to taste
-fried shallots
Marinade/seasoning (for pork); similar to pork belly
-1tsp dark soya sauce
-1/2 tsp oyster sauce
-1tsp cane sugar
-1/2 tsp tomato ketchup
-1/2 tsp white peppercorns
-1 pinch five spice powder (if no five-spice, some all-spice will do)
-1/2 tsp salt
-1tsp chinese cooking wine
-1tsp crushed garlic
(leave marinated pork in fridge for 1hr)
Note: If you want to omit the meat, you could. Just increase the quantity of dried shrimps - add half or one, more tbsp dried shrimps - from 1tbsp to ~2tbsps, to increase the aroma and flavor; and seasoned with pinches of five-spice powder(or allspice) and 1tsp dark soy sauce while frying the yam/dried shrimps mixture.
Method:
1. Cooked rice as per normal in rice cooker
2. Heat some oil in a saucepan
3. Saute dried shrimps until fragrant
4. Add in pork and fry for 8-10mins (if not adding meat, skip this and go to 5.)
5. Toss in yam to fry for about 3-5mins
6. Add in a bit of water, salt and pepper to taste and let yam simmer about 5min. Set aside (if meat not added, season with five-spice powder and soy sauce)
7. When rice is cooked, add in yam mixture, fried shallots and mix it thoroughly
8. Garnish with spring onions/cilantro & more fried shallots before serving
Other posts:
Nasi Lemak
Tom Yum or Tom Yam rice
Cabbage fried rice
Japanese curry rice - tonkatsu curry don
Braised chicken rice
Tag: yam, taro, yam rice
I love yam rice...my mom makes it with mustard leaves and dried shrimps, it's absolutely outta this world. Thanks for reminding me of this delicious meal again :)
ReplyDeletei love yam/taro (what's the difference!!!), and rice is such a comfort food. put the two together and you have heaven on a plate!
ReplyDeletelove your blog and photos!
yam rice is a favorite in our family, whenever my mom cooks that, we gotta have our sliced fish soup to go with that, not to mention also, our spicy hot sliced fresh red chilies :)
ReplyDeleteI love putting in tiny pieces of chinese sausages too..does make a difference to the taste.
ReplyDeletethis entry bring back some fond memories of mine.
ReplyDeleteMy mum used to cook Yam rice when i m young, i dun like to eat rice, but i LOVE yam rice.. to the point that i can eat 8 bowls of rice for lunch and dinner. Its alot for my pettite size. However, she seldom cooked nowadays and since all of us seldom eat at home.
There are a few things that I will not order from outside: Curry Chicken, Yam Rice & Bak Kut Teh. Not that i dun like to eat these dishes but my mum can cook 'em so well that i think none of the cooks can beat her. I think if i were to hv children some days in the future, they must be very miserable as i can t cook. Come to think of it, i m sooo fortunate to hv a mum who is a good cook!! =)
the expedited writer, we used to have yam rice at home back in Sg too, coz my dad loves it! Been a long time since we have it. Need to get your (or your mom's) recipe - that of mustard greens.
ReplyDeletepie girl, hahhaha...they are the same thing...just named differently when they reach the US of A. Wooo...the savory of the dried shrimps, with that hint of sweet from the yam...yummy!
Whoa. Thanks for clarifying. Otherwise I would have bought sweet potato to make oar nee :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe this. I have never heard of yam/taro rice nor have I eaten it before.
ReplyDeleteMy mom used to make steamed taro cake that can be pan fried as well, kinda like the ones they have at dim-sum restaurants except my mom's version tastes 100 times better. :-)
wow that looks gooood! I could eat bowl after bowl...
ReplyDeleteYum! You make such appetising food!!
ReplyDeleteNope. I know this isn't what you hinted at b/c I've never had yam rice before in my life. :P
ReplyDeleteBTW, I ate Sichuan yesterday and made a Spanish potato omelet, and went out for tapas this paste weekend. You do any of that? ;)
lin, can't get fresh sliced fish soup here...oh....but maybe it's just me who dislike handling fish on the bones :O
ReplyDeleteprecious pea, yes...I think it will make a difference. Chinese sausages are so fragrant!
tigerfish, I use catfish fillets to make my own sliced fish soup over here & they are usually frozen ones..hehe
ReplyDeletezeezee, 8 bowls ? the bowls must be small, right? :D ...Wow, your mum is really a good cook huh...curry chicken, yam rice and BKT...wooo.....all I like!
ReplyDeleteYou are really fortunate. Why not you learn her secrets and pass it on? :p
simcooks, even so, you could make the sweet potato version! *lol*
ReplyDeleteImagine you cut the yam and the color of the flesh is orange instead of purple.
ming the merciless, really? really? Not eaten yam rice? Heee heee....it's not surprising to me. I thought this rice is not so common,
ReplyDeleteafterall.
Oh, those dim-sum ones - I prefer the turnip/carrot cake (pan fried or steamed) to taro cake. For taro dim sum, prefer woo gok :D
paprika, it's interesting how the yam actually flavors up rice.
ReplyDeletefreya and paul, just sometimes...*blushing* . Thks for your encouragement.:D
ReplyDeletewandering chopsticks, not this one, not this one, coming up soon.... ;p
ReplyDeleteOh oh oh....close close close....so very close.
lin, hahaha...I want to make next time! Using frozen fillets!
ReplyDeleteI only buy frozen fillets anyway *lol*
how i miss this rice... eat with pig stomach soup+lots of pepper. slurrpppp...
ReplyDeletebtw, i usually add dark soy sauce when cooking the rice.
"Yam" really hungry after reading this post. Get it? (I know, bad joke.)
ReplyDeleteI went to a BIG wedding of one of my Singaporean friends this last weekend, and I told all of his friends and family about your site! :) They all told me they'd visit it to get some great recipes!
lydia, hmmm...peppery pig stomach soup, oh ye....
ReplyDeleteBut pig stomach soup is too challenging for me.
Yes, I think adding dark soy sauce will give the rice a darker color, you're right! This time, I wanted to give the other version a try :D
passionate eater, hahahahaha, make me giggled, good joke!
ReplyDeleteYou're so sweet! Hope they do find the recipes useful :D
How BIG was the wedding ? Quite usual, and "Yam" not so surprised. *lol*
aiya, look at this makes me miss mummy's cooking.
ReplyDeletemy mum cooks this too. like expedicted writer's mum, my mum puts in "hay bee" too.
other times, she mixes pumpkins with yam too, when she buys them.
other time, it is only pumpkin rice.
both are very yummy. try it next time!