Szechuan hot and sour soup

The last time I've had hot and sour soup was the soup drenched over noodles. After a recent visit to Ginger Cafe, my taste buds and the hot-sour flavor "rekindled" their love. The Szechuan hot sour soup -四川酸辣汤 in Ginger Cafe was not the best I've eaten. I've had better ones. I did mention Szechuan hot sour soup -四川酸辣汤, is one of my favorite soups, didn't I? So, in order to let this love linger on, I was tempted to make my own Szechuan hot sour soup (四川酸辣汤), and so I did.

Chinese /Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup (serves 3-4)
Ingredients:
-1/4-1/3 lbs ground pork (option: use shredded pork)
-1 pack silken tofu
-1 small can of bamboo shoots
-6-8 pieces of shitake mushrooms, stems removed, wipe caps with damp paper towel, julienned
-1 small pack of enoki mushrooms, bottom 2-3cm cut and removed
-handful of black fungus, julienned
-2-3tbsp of hot bean paste -辣豆瓣酱
-1 egg, whisked
-2tsp cornflour, mixed with 2-3tbsp warm water
-2cups chicken broth
-black vinegar, to taste
-spring onions, for garnish

Seasoning for pork:
-1tsp cornflour
-1tbsp cooking wine
-pinch of pepper, and salt

Before adding the hot bean paste, you would not know Szechuan hot sour soup is brewing

That' more like it, after adding the hot bean paste

Method
:
1. Mix pork seasoning with pork
2. Boil in a soup pot - the chicken broth, mix with 1-2 cup water (adjust accordingly)
3. When boiling, add in black fungus, mushrooms, bamboo shoots, pork and tofu, cook for 5-6mins
4. Add in hot bean paste, stir lightly, cook further 2-3mins; then add in cornflour+water to thicken the soup
5. After soup thickens, lower the heat, add in egg and black vinegar, then turn off heat
6. Garnish with spring onions and serve
Note: The color does not tell you it's spicy. It's mild spicy. Add some chili oil for the extra heat and oomph!

Goes really well with steamed rice. Another plate of minced pork fried with french beans, Szechuan style
-干煸四季豆 , will make it my meal!


Other posts:
Bittergourd soup
Doubled boiled soup
Tofu soup


We are both in love with tomatoes. When I made pita bread pizza, she made French bread pizza. Not limited to these two events. There are more "in-sync" and spooky(yes...to this extent) incidents - just that I've lost count. Take another recent example in her mango salsa. What's amazing, we are foodies alike, who knew each other from our blogs but have not seen each other in person. To do yet another objective "test", I did a search on her site after I made this soup, and this was what I found. See what we meant? Wandering Chopsticks, did you order this soup when you had Szechuan food recently?

Tag: , , ,

37 comments:

  1. I hope you ate this during the cooler days, cos yesterday was so damn hot. Not only your tongue will go on fire, Tigerfish will kena go up in flames too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. simcooks, no no...not yesterday...was too scorching hot to enjoy this soup. This soup is good on a slightly cooler day. But again, even in Singapore (hot and worse... HUMID), I like this soup but have it in air-con restaurants lah! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, too funny! I didn't get the soup but I wanted too. Ever since I learned to make my own though, I've been content with just getting hot and sour soup when it comes free. But still, we had Sichuan food at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and BTW, with our dueling pizzas, what was funny wasn't that we both made it. It was the reasoning. We were both too lazy to make real pizza dough and decided to substitute. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm it looks delicious! I like mine with a bit of egg too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wandering chopsticks, I've not had any good sichuan hot and sour soup in any eateries/restaurants here. Maybe they cater more to the local taste buds that cannot handle the spice and numbness. In that case, I rather make my own too! Hohohoh....spot on! The laziness...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm... I miss that! Even if I just had my dinner, I still want this Szechuan hot and sour soup - may I have one please? :P

    Thank you for adding my blog under your 'food hunts'. I'm gonna added your one soon... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man that looks good! I'm currently in Westford, MA where the weather is much cooler than the bay area so I could use some of that soup! I'm going to try this recipe out when I get home :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. amy, there's egg too! Just not enough :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the mushrooms and tofu!! I don't think I have ever had proper Hot and Sour Soup in the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to love sichuan hot n spicy soup. Now I don't take too much spicy food for cosmetic reasons. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  12. windy, yes, of course...virtually. As many bowls as you want. :D

    jadedone, you're lucky! Are you in a food trip in MA or what?! It's 88-90F yest and today, but cooling off soon. When you try, adjust according to your taste, okie?
    But I have to be frank, it's not as good as those made by Sichuan masterchefs! But again, I'm just a ordinary cook ;p

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not easy to make this at home...I dunno I never got the taste quite right. But perhaps I never had the right version so I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is me and my hubby's favorite as well but we never figured out how to make it. It does look a tiny bit complicated. I'll save the recipe anyway for future use :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can give me this soup anytime. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually like to eat hot and spicy food in hot weather! I like the sweat rolling down my forehead - then I know the spicy food is really working! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nope, not on a food trip unfortunately. If it were, I'd be in Boston, MA not sleepy-nothing-to-do Westford, Ma. Hee hee. I have been taking pictures of everything I eat, so hopefully by the weekend you'll see a new post on my blog. I forgot to bring my memo card reader for the camera!

    Being an ordinary cook isn't a bad thing! It's fun to experiment and make home cooked meals like this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. beautiful pictures, the soup looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hot and sour are some of my favourite taste sensations. Unfortunately, you rarely get one so good here in Singapore that it sends chills down your spine...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Me too, I love all spicy n sour stuff!! The chinese restaurant in Brazil serve hot n sour soup too but not very authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. jaden, there is a great variety of mushrooms, and tofu, and I like all of them! Yep, the hunt for the authentic hot and sour soup continues....

    ReplyDelete
  22. ECL, you allergic or scared too much heat that may sometimes cause breakout ?
    Spice will clear up toxins in the body! It's good !

    ReplyDelete
  23. RM, agree agree! I was watching a Hong Kong show(not an actual cooking pgm, actually) one time and saw how it was made.
    They added hot bean paste,plus many other sauces and spices which on TV I did not really know what they were and they were speaking in Cantonese which I don't quite catch it.

    Hmm...this still lacks the numbing effect and X-factor. What is the secret ingredient in Hot and Sour soup? Must be some Sichuan chilli/peppercorns/spice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, you make me so happy with your posts each time! I love, love hot sour soup! Chinese, Thai... you name it! I've never attempted to make this Chinese hot sour soup at home as i never knew where to start. Thanks to you, now i have an idea.

    You make it sound so easy. I never knew that they use hot bean sauce! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. hedgehog, you're right! It's not so straightforward. The main preparation went into the cutting of ingredients into thin strips. That takes time.
    I guess the hot bean paste and black vinegar are the keys to this soup - homemade style. :D

    pablopabla, maybe you have a home secret recipe ? Let me know, can? I also like this soup a lot!

    wokandspoon, you are a chilli freak! ;p

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love Hot & Sour soup too! It's how I judge if the restaurant is good or not. Try adding Lily Flower buds in the soup. It adds a nice flavor to it as well.

    ~ Mina

    ReplyDelete
  27. Jadedone, looking forward to your posts :D

    sara, thks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. cool insider, I thought the one at Min jiang is quite good? But then again, I tried it almost 10 years ago! The standard may have dropped! You must be another spice freak. One likes to eat till sweat rolls down the forehead
    and you like to sense the chill down the spine :O

    zeezee, the ones in US are also not authentic. Sometimes, may even be diluted! More diluted than what you seen here.

    ReplyDelete
  29. mae, *lol* I think some of us here belong to the same flavor group of "hot, spicy, sour".
    There is some hot bean paste(not the sauce!! - not sure if there's any difference) into the making.
    But there are some other sauces and spices they used. I'm still trying to figure out.

    Oh, I need to have some authentic hot and sour soup NOW, so that I can once again let my taste buds send signals to my brain to decode! I'm sure with your culinary experience, you could
    improve this by leaps and bounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. mina, oh...so sad to say that most restaurants here are lousy, coz they don't serve a decent bowl of hot and soup soup! :O
    Thanks for the lily bud tip! I have lily buds and will add them in future.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nope! This one I donno how to cook :P

    ReplyDelete
  32. i have not had hot n sour soup for a long long time!

    hehe.. I think I have a pack of this soup from maggi's in my pantry.

    but i am sure it will not be anything near yours. sob sob.. i am so lazy eh? hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Need to suit the local tastebuds.=( but bad for me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. pablopabla, I'm sure with your culinary skills and experience, you could easily decode what goes into a hot and sour soup! Then I can learn from you :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. keropok man, that's because you have too many choices when you eat-out. Oh, Maggi also have instant hot and sour soup mix?? Does it come with noodles? Sounds good for an instant meal ;p

    zeezee, yep! Most locals like non-spicy curries and non-spicy hot stuff. Dunno where got the kick? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  36. I like adding Szechuan peppercorns and a little anatto.

    ReplyDelete
  37. chubbypanda, maybe that's the secret!

    ReplyDelete