Soba and meatballs in "pork ribs" gravy - help me name this dish

I don't know how this noodles should be named. Errr....Soba-buckwheat noodles with leftover gravy. Oh...that's so rough. Who will want to eat that ?



I do remember eating some soup noodles before - with heaps and bits of minced meat and minced-mashed salted soy beans; and the restaurant named the dish 阳春面 (pronounced as Yang Chun Mian, in Mandarin). I tried checking this out and found it to be plain noodle without any dressing?! I'm not going to dig and probe further, or it will end up a lengthy post.

Soba in salted soy beans dressing, I shall call it... technically (so boring).
Three-Swirl Soba - shall be the fancy name fit for a menu (I think?). Description ~ Buckwheat noodles tossed in salted soy beans dressing of a slow-cooked pork rib gravy, served on a bed of seasonal greens.

Stop looking for the pork ribs! No chance you will find the ribs since there are all eaten up. I rolled up some ground turkey into turkey meatballs instead, then simmer - cook them in this gravy.

The soba buckwheat noodles are also tossed in the gravy. You can call it soba and meatballs (just like spaghetti and meatballs) if you wish to.


Three-Swirl Soba
Ingredients: Soba, long beans or any greens you prefer
Dressing: Recipe here.
How-to: Toss the cooked soba in the dressing-gravy and serve on your favorite greens. It's so simple. Garnish with some julienned spring onions/scallions.

This is my entry for Presto Pasta Night . Ruth, you did not cook any pasta but I use leftover gravy. Will that be ok?

How will you name this dish ?

Recent PPN entries:
Soba buckwheat noodles and mushrooms in green onion/ginger dressing
Parpadelle in homemade ragu sauce, beer added
Tom yum glass noodles

Tag: , ,

37 comments:

  1. hmm ... yummy. Sure looks delicious. Beautiful presentation. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmm It looks delish!.... Nice presentation...Love it..So colourful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yumm! That's a good idea. I still have some ribs left from mine and plenty of gravy.

    Maybe you should name it BB Turkey Ball Soba (Brown Bean Soba)? I dunno....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would name it Soba noodles went for a spin with greens and meatballs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cinderella's Spindle Soba? Hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your 3-swirl soba name. This is great for leftovers and I love your assembly of the dish. You have some nice colours with the green beens and the chillis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty and eye-catching...I will just name it "Beautiful." ;)

    Another tip for food presentation, next time you can try putting the noodles on Chinese soup spoons, arrange them in a row...wah, and can call them "The Most Beautiful."

    Wahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whatever you call it, it's beautiful. Probably better once I've eaten it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very innovative, excellent and creative. What a fusion! East food, West presentation. Well done, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How about Twister Soba with Garlicy Sauce? :p

    I dont care what it's called, I just want a bite! Love the presenatation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks so appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is Soba + Bak Yi = SoBakYi
    can?

    i have soba in my kitchen cupboard.
    time to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You bust your moves, and created this healthy looking birds nest noodle salad, lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Err, who needs to know what the sauce was originally for? :) Name it something mysterious like "So Mysterious Soba", lor, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. V have never seen nor tried noodle balls ! but yes rice balls in Melaka. So u must call it tf noodle balls ( whats our prize ?)wonder how the taste ?

    ReplyDelete
  16. cooking ninja, I was amazed by the taste itself ;p

    sukanya, does red and green remind us of Christmas ? :)

    jackson, MBS...? like some disorder leh!?!? :O

    jadedone, though I did not add water when I cook the ribs, there's plenty of gravy too.
    BB-brown bean, suddenly, I thought of Mr Bean :O, oops! Cinderella's spindle soba is so ingenious :)

    oceanskies79,...hahha...I'm looking for the car now! LOL!

    wokandspoon, colors of Christmas ? hahahhaa!

    RM, wah...with the spoon thingy, it can be named "One spoon noodle" (一口面 ) just like those mini bak zhang (meat dumplings) that are so small that can be
    eaten in one mouth/bite, known as 一口粽 . Thks for the wonderful tip! :)

    lyrical lemongrass, haahaa...true. Food needs to look good AND taste good.

    little corner of mine, thks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. they look like birds nests and the green onion like bird of paradise, YUM. i hearby name them Bird of Paradise Nests!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was going to say "Soba-ghetti and meatballs" but some else beat me to it ;-)
    p/s: very nice food styling!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, they are called "Soba-ghetti and meatballs" officially now? Good name and the dish looks even better! How artistically you've twirled them round and the colours!

    Never knew food could look so... sexy? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I shall call it
    noodle dish that i want to eat right now!!

    did you get a new camera? your photography is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Tigerfish, Thanks for coming by my blog. Your Soba noodles look really enticing and I love the look of your Beancurd skin prawn roll too. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. big boys oven, tt's quite true. You reminded me of the East meets West theme. Thanks!

    wokkingmum, Twister Soba- the sequel of the movie Twister arh!Haha! But that's a cool name :D

    mandy, it is appetizing. Since the ingredients are so simple, I reckon some simple "decorations" will do the job of making this COMPLETE :P

    KM, SoBakYi-sounds like kneading the meatballs!!! Wahahahha! Good!

    MW, birds nest that comes as savory noodles and not the "saliva-infused" dessert :O? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. shilpa, :O ....SMS!??!?

    wandering chopsticks, I like the word Soba-ghetti very much! ;p

    team bsg, rice balls are supposed to bounce and stay intact but TF noodle balls can't! :( ...the taste is good. Imagine eating savory spare ribs noodles loh!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Just found your blog. You are quite an "iron chef". such delicious food!

    ReplyDelete
  25. stay at home mum, nah...I'm no "iron chef"...you flatter me too much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. aria, wow...this sounds so heavenly. You brought me to paradise, lady :D

    nora b., seems to me this is a well-accepted name. Thks for your compliments and your visiting here. :)


    kenny, it's hard to think of the word "sexy" from the gal's pt. of view, hahah! Thks for coming by :D

    steamy, nope. Same camera. Same tigerfish. It was just one of my luckier days for a good shot.

    oh for the love of food, you're welcome :D ...I'm a foodie looking out for food, remmeber? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  27. Call it "spotlessly clean dish"? Seriously, I was wondering how you managed to keep the white dish so spotlessly clean after you've put the food in it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. victor, hahha...got technique wan!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll call it SoMeBa...A mix of Soba Meat Ball. All rights reserved!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are really nice photos! I've been on a soba kick lately, but I just eat it zaru style. :D I've never eaten it with meat before. Your creation looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wmw, right hor...meatballs are BAK anyway...LOL!
    Like singing Doh Reh Me Fa Soh. :P

    yuzu, me too have fallen in love with soba lately :)
    Of course, zaru style is always good, esp. on hotter days to come. But I bought 2 packs, so I decided to try different ways to "taste" soba.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Asian spaghetti?

    Koreans have this dish that is somewhat like the one you posted. Basically, it's soba noodles with spicy, red sauce (kim-chi taste) and served cold. And the curl the noodles into puddles like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ming merciless, is that true? Maybe I just eat Korean tofu hotpot stew and nothing else, tt's why never seen korean noodles done this way before.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What technique? Photoshop is it? I also know. :P

    ReplyDelete
  35. Victor...buahahah..I don't even have Photoshop software!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete