A summer salad out of Chinese vegetables - it's all Choy Joy

Vegetables, 菜 (pronounced as Cai in Mandarin, or Choy in Cantonese) is the theme of Heart of Matter this round.

This brings me to the different varieties of Bok Choy seen in my nearby Asian supermarket in California. If you have seen names such as Bok Choy, Baby Bok Choy, Bok Choy Sum, Zen Choy, Tagu Choy, etc., wouldn't you be as confused as me? I got myself these three different varieties, and place them side by side for the benefit of you. Look (stare) - what differences or similarities do you see? Well, one has a greener leaf than the other; the other has a shorter stem than the next other - physically. I was so not familiar with Tagu Choy when I saw the name but... don't you find Tagu Choy a cross between the Bok Choy and Bok Choy Sum (Choy Sum literally means "vegetable heart"). See....the leaf of the Tagu Choy is the leaf-look-alike of the Bok Choy Sum (observe); and the stem of the Tagu Choy is the stem-look-alike of the Bok Choy (go observe again). Do you see what I see ?

That's my 2-min "tear-down" analysis for you (well, at least it took me two mins to type these out, and I "tore down" the individual leaves/stems for ease of comparison). Personally, I prefer the Baby Bok Choy Sum (Bok Choy Sum seen here), how about you ? I find them "sweeter" than Bok Choy and the green leaves are more "attractive" to me. Nutrition wise, I believe they should be quite similar to one another.
Other than the usual stir-fries that are seen here, here and here, I've done a Chinese vegetable salad this time (yes, I've heard some of you - summer-officially tomorrow, means less "over the stove top" cooking!) - Bok Choy Sum and Tomatoes Salad in Scallion/Ginger Dressing.

Ingredients you need and what to do with them:
1. Baby Bok Choy Sum - quick-blanched in water, then drained away excess water; when most water is drained, chopped the bok choy sum into smaller than bite-sizes
2.Tomatoes - cut into smaller cubes
3. Dressing: Spring onion and minced ginger in extra virgin olive oil . Basically, this is just mincing, and blending.
4. Mix items 1. to 3. and happy tossing!

TADA....this easy refreshing salad for you, if you wish to have a change from using romaine or green-leaves lettuce in your salad.

Tag: , , ,

18 comments:

  1. This sounds healthy to me...nice recipe...Love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great and I will try that. How long to blanch? 30 seconds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too recently bought Tagu Choy and was surprise to find the texture and taste similar to baby bok choy sum. I get really confused at Ranch 99 sometimes as I'm not familiar with all the vegetables. Only one way to find out though and that is to try it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for the great idea. Never thought of it. Wish I can get baby bok choy here. :( They only sell bok choy. Eat until very sian liao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the greatest veges in the world (for me at least!). I can never get tired of them. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cook all 3 veg the same way. I blanch them in chicken stock and serve. Yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tiga - I am in Beijing again, but it's OK, this time I will go to Hong Kong too. Anyway, wah, there is a Whole Foods opening soon near my hood so I will check out the pink udang. About spot shrimp, OMG, they are the best...the texture, the taste...but I never bought them from 99 just eat out at restaurants...you must suck their brains dry all the ho liao are inside. Cannot already liao, I must go back and buy some fresh ones ASAP. Hehe. BTW, it's also called Santa Barbara Shrimp, and it's seasonal, so while you are at it, buy two pounds or more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all three. I eat them very often, stir frys, in soup or add to my noodles. Quite cheap and easily available here in Singapore. Most important, can store for up to a week. :)

    Hey, take a picture of your Asian market there leh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. it looks way too healthy for me! although i should be going back to salad to keep of some weight..sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stir frying my choy all the time. This is a great alternative! and I like your "choy joy" title!

    ReplyDelete
  11. dun b confused , any color even blue black any way as long u make 1 V take , happily
    thereafter N 4ev....more yes ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i hate my greens (yes, even at my age!), but your pics sure look good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm..not sure I have seen Tagu Choy here but will keep an open eyes on it because it sures look good.

    My China friend once told me the bok choy sum is better than bok choy because of the darker color green.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the detailed "tear-down" of all the greens! I oftentimes get overwhelmed by the selection at Ranch 99, and treat all of those veggies as interchangeable. It is interesting to see their visual differences and read about their differences in taste. I'll try cooking with the "sweeter" baby bok choy next time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Choy Joy concept! hahaha:)
    Never had Bok Choy Sum before, it looks a lot like spinach. Your salad looks so yum, who would have thought we could make a salad with chinese green leaves?

    ReplyDelete
  16. sukanya, glad you like it :)

    nate 2.0, 30 secs to 1 min - just don't overdo it.

    mina, how true. I don't try every veg I see though. I still stick to the more conventional or what looks "venture-able" to me.;)

    the cooking ninja, hmmm...I know. If not for the asian supermarket, there is also just bok choy in the local grocery store here.

    anh, me too! :D

    stay at home mum, at least you put in more effort to have chicken stock. I just blanch it in water.

    RM, HK can eat many yummy goodies, wow! I suck the spot prawns dry, man! Yumz. I din know they have another name but you better quick quick come back and buy.

    ECL, aiyo....no need lah...no difference from S'pore supermarket mah...GIANT, NTUC, SHOP N SAVE.

    "joe", this one just appetizer mah, not main dish ;P

    wokandspoon, I'm quite lazy you know. Stir fry still must add oil and means an oily pan to wash.
    This way is neater!

    team bsg, okie...blue black also take? okie okie ...buahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the normal variety stirred fried with ginger slices and a dash of oyster sauce.

    but that salad with the mini variety looks good! What about a good salad dressing for it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. lyrical lemongrass, I know you prefer siew yoke lah! I like also ;p

    little corner of mine, bok choy sum taste slightly different compared to bok choy too :)

    passionate eater, you should! Baby Bok Choy here she comes ;p

    valentina,the leaves look like spinach - very green :)

    las montanas, the dressing of green onion+finely minced or grated ginger and just some good olive oil is the finishing touch .:)

    ReplyDelete