Corn Minestrone - yellow yellow magic power

In the red (tomato-based) vs white (pure cream-based) world of pasta dishes...when Ms. Sexy Marinara and Ms. Sleek Carbonara are side-by-side, Ms. Sexy Marinara will always get my attention. I find it harder to make my selection in the soup world of tomato-based minestrone vs cream-based mushroom soup. These two classics are my favorites, no doubt. I'm lucky when soup du jour happens to be either minestrone or cream-of-mushroom and often fickled when there is no "Today's Soup" and I am forced to make my choice from the soup category in the menu.

I made minestrone again, but with a slight twist this time - adding corn kernels in there, lots of them. That is my yellow element for LiveSTRONG with A Taste Of Yellow .

Corn Minestrone

Ingredients:
-1 tbsp. olive oil
-1-2 cups diced onion
-2 small potatoes, diced
-1 carrot, diced
-4 stems from a bunch of celery
-2-3 tomatoes, cubed/diced (option: 1 small can of diced tomatoes)
-a bowl (see picture) of corn kernels (from corn-on-the-cob, refer to collage)
- 0ne palm-full shell pasta
- dried basil and oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth or more, adjust accordingly
- some water, adjust accordingly

Is there lots of corn kernels to be added in my minestrone ? Remember to save some as garnish! Gives a slight crunch to the soup :) Yellow yellow magic power!


Method:
1. Saute onion. Add potatoes, celery, carrots, corn kernels, mix well for a few minutes
2. Add chopped tomatoes, add broth and 2 cups of water, bring to boil
3. Add dried shell pasta, cook 8-10mins, bring soup mixture to boil again
4. When boiling, bring down heat and allow simmer - till vegetables soften
5. Add basil and oregano when soup is almost ready
5. Add pepper and salt to taste
6. Garnish with remaining corn kernels

To me, minestrone is anytime. It is a refreshing soup in summer, a comforting soup in winter, a delectable soup for fall and welcoming soup for spring!

If you wish to take part in LiveSTRONG with A Taste of Yellow Event, they have another segment of photo competition that ties in to this event this time. Check it out in the website. Unfortunately, I do not have a Lance Armstrong yellow wrist band at this moment to be featured in my photos of this Corn Minestrone recipe. However, I'm still happy to be part of this event by submitting yellow-themed photos to accompany my post and recipe. :)

Tag: , ,

23 comments:

  1. Oh mine ... I especially like the top two pictures of the corn. So creative.

    I love corns and I love minestrone soup. From what I read in your entry, it does look pretty easy to cook ya? Perhaps I shall give it a try. I shall remember to add basil and oregano. You see, I am not really a Western herbist kind of man ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks good. I like the use of fresh corn off the cob in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent, i'm fan of minestrone
    should be wonderful with corn,

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this time of year, when corn isn't in season here, I use good-quality frozen corn kernels for soup and salads. They really work out well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love corn, and you're tempting me with that minestrone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me drooling. Hmm.. I´m sure my kids love this soup too. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the corn and corn is starting to go on sales here too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tigerfish, what a lovely entry. Thank you for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow. I'm saving this recipe for when the weather cools down here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love minestrone soup! Yours look really good especially with the addition of corn :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. The addition of corn does make a big difference. Not just texture but flavour... I love corn when I can get it fresh. :)

    And I agree with you about minestrone soup being a soup for all seasons... I live in the tropics now, but this soup reminds me of my years in more temperate climates...

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's my favorite vegetable! Good thinking- using corn in minestrone will add an extra sweetness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such an exciting bowl of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I qualify!! I have yellow thoughts! hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  14. My fav is corn. Can't wait for it to go on sale at the supermarket :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. this looks good. i want some now! i been wanting to make soup. i really love it. i'll give this a try. will go to trader joes today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ALways a favourite here in UK too. Your version looks so lush and extravagant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm. I love corn. Are you gonna try making my Vietnamese sweet corn pudding? :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I'm coming down with a cold and this soup sure looks good to me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always think, very seriously, about the cream based whatever...and then get the tomato based. I really, truly love tomatoes! Can you imagine life without marinara

    ReplyDelete
  20. the soup looks very tempting... u sure are creative with it... makes me want a bowl NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This soup does look delectable for all seasons. I like the idea of adding corn to the minestrone.

    ReplyDelete
  22. yum. i think that soup is a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wilfrid, I'm not really a heavy Western herb user too! I actually packed
    that two small bottles of herbs in my luggage from California when I moved.

    kevin, it's my first time using fresh corn off the cob like that!

    zabaione, thank you.

    lydia, yes. Canned corn kernels are good too!

    EMWK, hee heee....

    retno, you are welcome :)

    little corner, really? I am missing those....

    barbara, thanks for hosting such a meaningful event.

    noobcook, without corn also good!

    kenny, yes yes....minestrone can come in variants, don't they ?
    Since I don't use beans in my minestrone, I reckon corn works too! :P

    daphne, corn is your fav veg?

    bboven, hahahahha! I am excited or the soup ?

    ECL, hahahahahah....yellow yellow dirty fellow...you.....;p

    Icook4fun, I don't have corn that often so I can't say it's my fav but I like them

    buddingcook, dont' mention TJs, I miss it so much..:(

    hazza, I like mine with lots of ingredients!

    wandering chopsticks, next time next time! I ran out of corn!

    wmw, take care, dear.

    katiez, tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes.....

    MyF, thanks!

    didally, yes...my favorite soup!

    maybahay, thank you :D

    ReplyDelete