I heard many of you take a day trip to Macau when in Hong Kong. Don't worry if you can't finish all the good eats in a day, get some souvenirs...FOOD souvenirs! You must visit Koi Kei in Macau (many stalls near Senado Sqaure, Macau) - they are famous for their pastries and cookies. I brought back some cookies and "cake-like" pastry products. By the time you read this, they are already gone :O
Almond cookies. I could not resist these mini ones. Don't they look like chess seeds? They are called Chess Cookies 棋子饼...yes, indeed. Almond cookies that crumble and melt at the slightest bite. What's best about these almond cookies - they even have real almond bits and chunks that add that extra texture.
For your information, the Chess Cookies does not come with the chess board ;p
Wife Cake (Biscuit), sweet pastry.
Primarily made from sugar, cake flour, melon sugar
Wife cake 老婆饼 - almost like the sun cake 太阳饼 that I can get in Taiwan. I actually prefer the Hong Kong wife biscuits to the Taiwan sun cake because I find that the latter has too much pastry and less filling. I'm the type who prefers more fillings than the crust/pastry layers. If there is a story behind sun cake, then what's that of wife cake ?
There is also the Husband Cake 老 公 饼- the savory version made from pork fats, sugar, peanuts, sesame, five spice powder, cake flour. The story behind the Husband Cake is not as well-established as the Wife Cake, just as the Husband Cake product is not as popular as the Wife Cake.
What other food you can enjoy in Macau:
Portuguese egg tarts
Pork chop bun
African chicken
Tag: macau eating, street food, travel macau
I chuckled with I first saw husband cake, and even mother-in-law cake, when I was at HK, hee.
ReplyDeleteI dunno why, but whenever I go HK, I ended up buying boxes of wife cakes for everyone except myself :P The chess cookies look cute sitting on the chess board! :D
Husband cake and wife cake -- so cute! I've never heard of that.
ReplyDeleteI remember those almond cookies my grandfather used to buy in a metal tin when I was a kid. As for lo por pang, I was introduced to it in the UK, where HK style food is much more widespread than in KL.
ReplyDeleteahhh... why do I have to come here in the wee morning!? *drooling*
ReplyDeleteI'll be going to Macau in May.
Those Almond cookies do look good!
ReplyDeleteEverything looks good. I'm a sucker for this kind of cookies! YUM!
ReplyDeleteI would love to try the wife cake :)
ReplyDeleteThose looks really good...Great shot, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMine is up:
My Newphew's Scrap Place
Every Beat Of My Heart
The 棋子饼 looks cute and in good size to be pop into the mouth rather than the normal big size ones :)
ReplyDeleteI've taken lunch!!! *lucky*!!
those chess cookies look yummy! same with the wife cake, too ... :)
ReplyDeletei'm not a fan of those almond cakes but wife biscuits-i love!
ReplyDeletehmm...yummy.
ReplyDeleteMy WS : my son “helped“ us Thanks
seems delicious.
ReplyDeleteWill you visit mine Thanks
Oh I would love to have one of those almond cookies. The wife cake (sounds funny)looks like our hopia here in the Philippines - crusty layers and sweet fillings (mung beans, pork, etc.). I am curious to know if our hopia is the same as the wife cake biscuit?
ReplyDeleteLooks so delicious!
ReplyDeleteHope to see u in mine!
they really look delicous.
ReplyDeletemine is up too. hope you can check it out:
http://www.myplanetpurple.com/2008/04/weekend-snapshot.html
http://princessbela16.blogspot.com/2008/04/weekend-snapshot.html
the chess biscuits are the most adorable things ever. you could play chess and literally eat the pieces off the board. brill.
ReplyDeletei like laopo bing..they're so yummy.
These look and sound delicious! Thanks for stopping by.
ReplyDeleteOh, I really love that photo of the chest board.
ReplyDeleteoh well my weakness is food i love it...mineis up..http://www.happymomiam.us/2008/04/weekend-snapshot.html
ReplyDeleteThat almond cookies sure looks inviting. Yums!
ReplyDeleteHave a great week ahead :)
i love that almond cookie! they also have that in china.. yum... nice shots! happy ws! :)
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA! I have never heard of husband cake or wife cake so this is definitely an eye opener.
ReplyDeleteNormally, I'm not fond of Asian/Chinese-style desserts because they are mostly sugar and nuts or bean based.
I prefer my desserts with chocolate and cream. :-)
Ooh, those almond cookies look delish! I never knew they were called Chess Cookies though. It makes sense especially after seeing them on the chessboard. I love Chinese snacks and desserts! :D
ReplyDeletesumptuous treats! yummm!
ReplyDeleteAbout Christine
Only The Good Stuff
My Cyber-Life
These almond cookies are really good. Usually I don't like my cookies too sweet. Even for choc, I prefer bittersweet dark choc. :)
ReplyDeleteI would love to have a chess set like that. . .then, nobody will win or lose! ;)
ReplyDeleteI have eaten some of those sweets before, but didn't realise their actual names. Husband cake and wife cake .. ha!
ReplyDelete