Breakfast - round the globe, partially...


What did you have for breakfast today?

A simple question for the most important meal of the day. Forget peanut butter lunch, and save one-pot/one-dish meals for dinner.

For many, breakfast is a meal to start you off with energy, and comfort your soul for the rest of the day. Back in the US, we usually ran out of breakfast options and variety. This is THE meal which made us homesick for Asia most of the times. Yes. Serious. Other than our daily ritual of cereals + milk; and pampering ourselves once in a while with scramble, omelette, sunny-side up, over-easy eggs, bacon + sausage links, and pancakes - there is really no where we could hang out at 8am early morning. Most of the cafes open at 10am or later, then only left with 24-hr Denny's or IHOP.

American breakfast fare at Denny's

Other than egg + bacon + sausage + rosti/hash brown, it was still egg + bacon + sausage + rosti/hash brown. Just thinking about this twice in a row is making me lose my appetite. Give me an outrageous one like the Maserati Omelette will not make things any better.


Maserati Omelette at Flames Coffee Shop and Bakery


Bacon on maple syrup drizzled waffle

Maybe it's just ME. The ME who always prefer savory than sweet, even for the morning meal. Pancakes, waffles, crepes, dough nuts, cakes - they don't call my name during this time of the day. I may even attempt to add some bacon on a waffle drizzled with maple syrup, just to have a breakfast kick!

Ok. We, back in Asia, are overly-pampered (or just ME again?). Dim sum, noodles (all kinds!), egg rolls, porridge/rice congee, soy-bean milk, pan-fried turnip cake, fried carrot cake etc. You can have all of these for breakfast, and yes...why can't you be pampered ? Best part of it, rise and shine to it. Most of these establishments open early (7am onwards, till late) and some even... round the clock! Read again - good food round the clock!

I am not kidding.

The famously known YongHe Soybean Milk (永和豆浆) in Taiwan runs 24hr and so does Lai Lai Soy Bean store (来来豆浆). Boring? You can have the usual soybean milk (comes lightly sweetened) or even salty soybean milk 咸豆浆- that is savory-packed with cubes of fried dough sticks. Alternatively, get your whole long dough sticks and dip them into your bowl of warm soothing soybean milk. Soybean milk chain stores as such, are breakfast characteristics of Taiwan, in my opinion. Wait! There are also egg rolls (蛋 饼), pan fried chives bun (韭菜盒子 ), and even beef steak wraps for breakfast!

Clockwise from left: soybean milk, pan fried daikon cake, fried dough sticks, egg rolls


Soybean milk 咸豆浆- that is savory-packed with cubes of fried dough sticks, and drizzles of sesame oil


Beef steak wraps in Lai Lai Soy Bean store 来来豆浆

So, what is breakfast in Hong Kong ?

Macaroni soup, scrambled eggs with toasts in tea cafes.


















Dim sum at traditional tea house includes steamed pork dumpling siew mai, and steamed shrimp dumpling har gow.


Get more fancy when you can have steamed glutinous rice, braised phoenix claws (chicken feet) and steamed beancurd skin rolls.

Clockwise from left: steamed glutinous rice wrapped in lotus leaf, braised phoenix claws (chicken feet) and steamed beancurd skin rolls

The older generation in Hong Kong enjoy their congee for breakfast.

Mixed pork porridge 及第粥 - typically with lean pork slices, minced pork balls, pork liver and pork intestines. Full of pork flavor sans any pungent smell of innards.

We also have rice porridge/congee back in Singapore, and even Malaysia. Crack in an egg and that does the trick.

See that egg yolk lurking in the rice congee ?

While in Hong Kong, they have toast + scrambled eggs, in Singapore/Malaysia, we have toast + coconut jam (kaya) with butter.


Talking about rice being a Chinese staple - we can even have "solid" rice for breakfast. Nasi lemak is one perfect example. Blessed with a multi-racial culture, a cornucopia of Malay and Indian flavors! Mee Siam to Roti Prata, they spice up and kick-start your day!

Roti prata, or roti canai (as known in Malaysia)

Simple fare such as fried vermicelli can be a take-out for many working bees. Without fail, I will always smell the taste of this fried bee hoon in the office of many.

And without fail, what is breakfast without a good 'ol cup of aromatic coffee. Give me that cup of joe! American, French Roast, or Kopi-Gaw! And YES YES...I heard many of you prefer to dip your fried dough sticks in coffee!



What did you have for breakfast today? :D

Tag:

31 comments:

  1. luckily I just had breakfast before checking out your blog else I will faint! Very delicious looking, especially the Chinese-style bfs! :)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a bowl of cereal in milk. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my bacon & eggs but I definitely miss my nasi lemak, roti canai etc.. and especially the 24 hr shops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING spread of breakfast items! I want to try the beef steak wraps! It looks so nice and juicy. Can't believe that's for breakfast man.


    the traditional wedding is going to be on the 1st of May 2009 so 1 week frm ROM. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. would love to have the congee for breakfast ... while my son would love that bacon/waffle with maple syrup! :)
    my breakfast was just simply steamed rice and fried fish! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooohhh!!.What a wonderful breakfast you had!!.Hmmmm..I still like asian style breakfast.Not really fancy of american BF especially cereal and milk!!.For me I had a cup of coffee and Roti Paratha with masak lemak gravy for the last 2 days:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg.. im drolling all over yr place... these foods are divine! yummy~licious!!! i would like to try the waffle with bacon. I bet it must be superb! :)

    Happy Week ahead!

    Jean Chia

    ReplyDelete
  8. The YongHe in Singapore is still forever packed in the middle of the night at Geylang. But somehow I feel that the standard has dropped :(

    The formula drift was an one day event yesterday :) I'm suffering from severe sunburns *yikes*

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg...lots of foods in here :D

    Will you visit mine Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks ALL are yummy and delicious..

    Please check out mine Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Give me a blueberry muffin for breakfast and I will be the happiest blogger!
    Great food shots, I am glad I already had breakfast or else I would be very hungry...!
    Happy ws, mine is posted here

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been very sick since yesterday and couldn't eat, looking at all these used-to-be-yummy food make me want to puke! Excuse me....
    *runs to toilet*

    ReplyDelete
  13. we malaysians insist that its called roti canai and not roti pratha!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You made me very hungry! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your breakfasts sound and look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've given me cravings for dough sticks now! mmmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My all-time favorite breakfast is a plate of mee goreng, preferably eaten from a street market in Malaysia. Here at home in the US, it's more likely to be a bowl of cold cereal with a piece of fruit... but I'd rather have noodles any day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the mixed pork porridge looks divine

    ReplyDelete
  19. no no. its def not just u. hubby stil dont understand how we (msian/sporean) can have rice or noodle for breakfast! lol.

    i havent had my breakie yet. its always a problem coz im always hoping tht im back in kl where i can have nasi lemak or roti canai or kuih or apom with teh-peng. pass me the tissue pls! :(

    farina

    ReplyDelete
  20. now that is a great way to start off the morning :)

    MyMemes: Wee!
    MyFinds: Obrycki's

    ReplyDelete
  21. your photos always, always make me drool! :) yummy!

    My WS entry

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG, what a SUMPTUOUS array of breakfasts! Doesn't help that I haven't had mine yet and am looking at this!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at all of those tasty breakfasts! I enjoy a savoury breakfast as much as a sweet one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favs are congee (pork and century egg... mmm.... or liver and kidney!), roti prata and soft boiled eggs with toast. But I'll take dim sum any day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I'm drooling. Looks like a week's great breakfast displayed before me. Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh man! this is a buffet for the eyes! you got me so hungry i could faint right now! hahaha. asian breakfast will always take first place for me. in the philippines, it would be garlic fried rice, local sausage and eggs plus coffee. and then, i've always loved congee since i was a little girl! and dimsum!!! argh! thanks for this feast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. When I was in Singapore & Malaysia last summer, kaya toasts were all the rage. And I ate them quite a number of times.

    ReplyDelete
  28. either soft boiled eggs with toast, or cereals n oats in yogurt and milk, or... if i eat outside - my fave wud be nasi lemak or paper thosai with curry... yummm... but at times, i crave for scrambled eggs, sausages, and bread. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope you folks like the breakfast spread I had for you.
    How about an international buffet breakfast ? :P

    Thanks, yo..for your comments :D

    ReplyDelete