Chayote Shoots - Dragon Beard or Dragon Whisker vegetable



This is Stir Fried Chayote Shoots -龍鬚菜 , literally meaning Dragon-Beard or Dragon-Whisker vegetable. Chayotes are widely planted for its shoot in Taiwan and usually consumed with the young leaves in a stir fry like this (thinly sliced garlic and sliced red chili). Most people are familiar only with the fruit, which in culinary terms is a vegetable. But the root, stem, seeds, and leaves are all edible.

In Brazil, chayote is known as chuchu; in Caribbean: cho-cho; Latin America: gayota; in China: 佛手瓜 (pronounced Fuo Shou Gua, literally meaning "Buddha hand squash"); in Indonesia: labu siam (or Siamese pumpkin), jipang or waluh; in Vietnamese: su-su, trai su.

Back to that disappointing prawn-themed eatery, only the vegetable dish (above) is to our liking. Forget about the prawns flambe. Too much flamboyance for mediocre food.

A casual atmostphere. The eatery/restaurant was mostly in bamboo-setting.


An open kitchen. Can you see a brick-walled tank behind the lady? Those tanks are filled with live prawns. Well, good fresh prawns but in my opinion, a case of fresh ingredients over-killed in cooking. Or, did we order the wrong dishes!??!?


WHERE ARE MY STEAMED PRAWNS???

This is their Taichung (central Taiwan) branch (main: Hsinchu location)
黄金海岸活虾之家 台中昌平東二路 #135
Taichung City, Chang Ping Dong Er Road, #135
Taiwan


Tag: , , , ,

26 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous place. Those greens look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen the leaves of 佛手瓜in Singapore. Soft or crunchy stems?
    Looks like how we fry our spinach, sliced chili and garlic :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. The prawn tank?! So fresh! I bet they have a vegetable farm just right next to the restarant or eating place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Napaboaniya, there is 佛手瓜 in Singapore :) Check out the NTUC at AMK Hub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh .. you meant leaves .. nevermind ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmm! those greens look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you just hate the disappoint? Wonderful starting ingredients but terrible results. At least there was something you liked.

    I don't think I'm familiar with this vegetable. I'll have to do a little research...Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've tried the veg before,is v nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you're really mad about those prawns, aren't you? Quick, someone find this poor soul some GOOD steamed prawns! ;-D

    I have clouds today - Happy Earth Day!

    Tink *~*~*
    http://MyMobileAdventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should tell them the best way to eat life prawns is to steam it! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  11. yummy! I love to eat vegetable ... fantastic catch for ww! mine's up too hope you can drop by...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm wow an entry on chayote as well! Except I've never seen the leaves/stems before.. interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice rustic restaurant ambience. The chairs looked like the bo kia yi which Chinese babies of yesteryear used to sit in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. first tried them when somebody's chayote (we call them sayote) plant went amok and got to my backdoor fence. lol. i liked it! :)

    ps. about the 4 o'clock flower ... well, i believe that they are thus called since they bloom only when it's cool during the day (around late afternoon) till early morning the following day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks like shoots of a squash. I've tried the squash shoots but not the chayote (sayote)...

    BTW, I love those seats. i have a weakness for wooden furnitures.
    VERB

    Makimeji

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another vegetable that I have never seen or had before. They have a great name, Dragon Beard/Whisker!

    ReplyDelete
  17. someone give this lady her prawns! =)

    I haven't heard of this vege before and really appreciate your explanation. Looks like a nice and clean place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  18. theres another vege that sounds almost the same..cheng long choy..if u directly translate is green dragon vege..apparently a hybrid organic vege that we grow in malaysia..hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never tried those leaves, looks yummy though. I love the fruits, usually eat the preserved one when I feel nauseous. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  20. interesting. didn't know about this vege before. btw, those mochi from hong kong were from an out of city area... but i'm sure there must be lotsa copy cats lurking around.. i'll check out next month when i'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i remember seeing something similar to that dish in singapore. i forgot how it's called though. have a good week! :)

    My WW Entry

    ReplyDelete
  22. everybody looks busy.what are they preparing?

    HAPPY WW!

    Mine is Up now!

    Green
    Hands Together

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks fantastic! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete