One pot rice with chicken and shitake mushrooms


Remember my miserable lunch bread + peanut butter + pork floss ...I think I got some of you into trouble - you lost your appetite! Now...how about...

Dinner! ...It's oyster sauce-flavored chicken

A countable few slices of abalone

plus mini-shitake mushrooms (added while braising oyster sauce chicken wings)

then cooked (and warmed) just like another dish (the next day)

Rice-cooker meal for the busy executives

In short, I make oyster sauce chicken quite often. Sometimes, I will add shitake mushrooms to this recipe, cook double the quantity and keep the leftovers to be re-heated with rice the next day. This is usually what I do - whenever I steam ginger chicken, braise sesame oil and ginger chicken or chicken with assorted mushrooms. Ahhh...and the miracles of the rice-cooker. If you have followed my blog, you should also have noticed that I seldom do fried rice on a wok/pan. Rice cooker - one of the most basic kitchen appliances - allows me to have "fried" rice the easy peasy way. These Tom Yum Fried Rice, or Cabbage and Char Siew Fried Rice, are miracles from a basic (2-button: cook and warm) rice cooker.

I kid you not.

Tag: , ,

34 comments:

  1. Oh i love your different versions of fried rice,it really makes me hungry!

    Big Doors
    View from Fortress

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow~!
    You're good, indeed a very good cooker!
    I'm going to learn more here.
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Thanks for dropping by my lil corner of the world... Love this one pot dish, shiitake mushrooms are fantastic, I love the way they come to life with a bit of soaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your post always really makes me hungry...thanks for sharing this.

    mine is up. hope you can check it out too:

    http://www.womenxplore.com/2008/04/wordless-wednesday-4-times-square-ny.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey thanks for dropping by my blog. Didn't know that you are also a good cook too. One pot rice.... hahaha one of my favourite one when come to weekend. Easy to prepare and can last till the next day.

    Wanna exchange link? I will link you in my main blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hehe... that makes two of us cooking 'fried' rice by 'steaming' in the rice cooker :D Your one pot rice looks so delicious and juicy ... erm, can I have a few slices of abalone? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm tasting it now. YUMMY... so bad with food i get disoriented in beautiful way. Love it.
    happy WW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe looks like a keeper. Thanks for visiting.

    Tink *~*~*
    http://MyMobileAdventures.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too love cooking mixed rice dishes in my rice cooker! But usually I'm very very lazy so only things in my fridge and pantry tend to go in - so Chinese sausage, frozen peas and dried shitake mushrooms are a common one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One question...."When do we eat?"


    Happy W W, mine's up...a love interest today. Hope you can stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I am feeling hungry now too. Love the shot of the mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you have simplified the dish. u made it so simple. before i cook this dish i normally fry the uncooked rice grains with garlic n onions first before i actually put in the rice cooker to cook for claypot chicken. This way every rice grain will b separate n not stick together. it will taste better too.

    the other stuff like mushroom, chicken etc, oyster sauce are necessities but I oso use use some other stuff too when i have guests.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I love to cook that dish too. It's my favorite.

    You really cook those dishes for your own consumption? You are not working as a cook or something?

    Whoever married (or marry) you is indeed the happiest person on Earth ... !! All those wonderful dishes.

    I stick with only a few and rotate them according. Some more I seldom cook at home :( Boo !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a go at a variation of this one pot dish a few weeks ago but it dod not turn out very nice. Somehow, the chicken always turned out like its been watered down and the rice too soggy. What's the secret?

    ReplyDelete
  15. My rice cooker also does "fried" rice, but I've yet to try it. It's also programmable so I can delay the cooking or keep it warm for several hours. I'll have to try this one-pot meal.

    Oyster sauce is my second favorite seasoning, right after fish sauce :-) I add it to all my stir-fries and fried rice. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. what can i say, i'm a mushroom fan, too. :)

    MyMemes: 1 Begins Here
    MyFinds: 1 Ends Here

    ReplyDelete
  17. Never seen such a way to decorate the chicken wings,
    You're an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum, easy & delicious one pot meal. Your version is much healthier than the normal fried rice too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ate this kind of one pot rice since young. I've tried it a few times on my own. I love it as a simple, fuss free dinner. And I always cook extra for next day's lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is intriguing. I could not survive without my rice cooker...thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. yummy!!!!hmmmm!!happy ww

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your blog! It is beautiful~!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I couldn't live without my rice cooker -- I use it for all sorts of steamed things, and it really makes the best rice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Chicken, shiitakes and oyster sauce would be pretty tasty. The rice cooker is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets as well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rice cooker is my favourite cooking utensil after my grill pan. Such a life saver when we want something quick and easy.
    Thanks for giving me more ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I often cook with oyster sauce. Add into rice or various stir fry dishes. your dish look great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. simple and defintely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i used to order a similar dish back in singapore. it is so delish and your version seems to be really good, too!

    thanks for visiting my site! :)

    *My LP 4 Entry*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for all your comments.

    Yes...I heard you. Most of you like your rice cooker, like me! Yay!

    ReplyDelete