From left: oyster, velvet pioppino, cloud ear or wood ear(black fungus), coral
Mushrooms are often meat substitutes for vegetarians partially due to its inherent woody and earthy flavor, being a good source of protein.
Golden Oyster - 珊瑚菇 (pronounced ShanHu Gu, literally means coral mushrooms)
Also known as Golden Oyster Spore Syringe (botanical name: Pleurotus citrinopileatus) or jade emperor mushrooms. These mushrooms grow in clusters of small, thin fleshed, funnel-shaped bright yellow caps. The flavor improves with thorough cooking
Cinnamon cap mushroom or a Matsutake variety. Other names: brown swordbelt. Chinese names: 松茸 or 松菇
These mushrooms have intense rich flavor and maintain slight crisp texture in the stems and caps after cooking.
Tree oyster mushroom (botanical name: Pleurotus ostreatus) or sometimes known as abalone mushrooms.
These oyster mushrooms have a fleshy texture with mild delicate earthy flavor.
There is more mushroom reading at Dried Mushrooms, Food Subs and Wiki. In addition, a few WHB weeks ago, I posted on mushrooms - shitake, trumpet, beech and had a few good mushroom recipes for you. Do check them out.
Now, do you have any more room to confess your mushy love for mushrooms ? Which variety do you like best ?
Tag: mushrooms
Shitake, king oyster, abalone, enoki, shimeiji, chanterelle, portobello, chestnut, white button, porcini... I love them all! The oriental varieties are so expensive here while white button, chestnuts and portobello mushrooms are relatively inexpensive. And it is the reverse in Asia! Which means I will alway be moaning about buying expensive mushrooms wherever I go :p
ReplyDeleteYes, Nilmandra, it's the opposite here! I love all mushrooms. I haven't had one that makes me go "yuck" yet.
ReplyDeleteBut I am lucky to have a mushroom farm 10 mins away from my house.
Oh, those mushrooms belonging to the Oyster family will be great on Tom Yam Kung.
ReplyDeleteI've not seen golden oyster b4, so suaku >_<
ReplyDeleteI love most mushrooms except shitake (weird!) and my faves are button and portebello mushrooms. Mushrooms are one of the best food ingredients!
All the mushrooms look so fresh! I would love to try some cinnamon cap mushrooms, have yet to see it here。
ReplyDeleteyr repertoire of mushrooms are impressive , but we think all fungi have funny tastes except those we see braised brown together with the sea cucumbers in expensive Chinese dinners
ReplyDeleteLike those (mushroom houses) found in Smurf cartoon...ha ha ha...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos -- those mushrooms look like life forms!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great selection on amazing looking mushrooms!
ReplyDeleteHere're my top three mushrooms that showed up in my kitchen all the time:
ReplyDelete1. Shitake mushroom
2. Enoki mushroom
3. button mushroom
I heart mushrooms!
woah..I have said it and I will say it again..I love mushrooms...yeeeeah!!
ReplyDeleteMatsutakes are my favourite mushrooms. Can't say I've ever had this variety before though. I also really like Nameko and Enoki mushrooms (both for texture more than flavor). Where did you get these?
ReplyDeletei love all types of mushrooms! especially enoki, swiss brown, portobello n fresh shitake. I dont mind the dry version as well. Button mushrooms arent my fav but they are alot cheaper here...
ReplyDeleteI like mushrooms...sometimes I just don´t know the name, thanks for the info.
ReplyDeleteWOW!!! Mushrooms are my favorite, too! I wish I could try all the mushrooms you have...
ReplyDeleteGay
i love straw, white button, and oyster mushrooms the most hehehe i love the earthy taste of shrooms....yum yum yum
ReplyDeleteThe shrooms are oh so pretty!
ReplyDeleteI really like the look of the golden oyster but I have yet to try it. To me, all mushrooms taste more or less the same ya?
we love mushrooms! those are gorgeous! the golden oyster would also make for good decoration. hahaha. but abalone will always be a favorite. hee hee. :)
ReplyDeleteI love mushrooms!! The best mushroom dish I've ever had was a simple sauted of mixed fresh mushrooms with olive oil and a little salt.
ReplyDeletethey are all so gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteI loveeee mushrooms, especially those fluffy white button mushrooms! And swiss browns, and portobello. Unfortunately, it is soo expensive here. I was fortunate to enjoy 2 years in Ozzie where, for 2 whole years I enjoyed the best of mushrooms and cheese every day! :-)
ReplyDeleteOoooh, there are many mushroom species in Taiwan. :)
ReplyDeleteHeehaw!
ReplyDeleteI hear most of you like mushrooms.
We all heart mushrooms :D
what a great post!!!
ReplyDeleteHi Tigerfish! It was so great to see your comment on my blog. How have you been? This is a wonderful post! And I'm addicted to mushrooms, any and all kinds. :)
ReplyDeleteWow, I am learning a lot from you. I've never seen any of these except oyster mushrooms! Wish I could try them all.
ReplyDeleteI love mushrooms!! I think my favorite would have to be chanterelles.
ReplyDeleteI love it that you include the Chinese names for these cute little mushrooms! Cuz I grow up in a Chinese environment and in the world of food blogs, I learn them in their English name. I never really know which is which until now, thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the great pictures. Mushroom naming is so complicated. People in different cultures call the same mushroom by different names, which is fine, but it gets really confusing when they call mushrooms by names that are just plain wrong. I love mushrooms, so I wrote a guide to help the perplexed. Check it out at http://www.mycopia.com/newslist.aspx under "Name That Mushroom."
ReplyDeleteI am a big fan of mushrooms but I have never seen or had that Golden Oyster mushroom in my life before. You made me know want to find out where I can buy those mushrooms here. Thanks for the great article and beautiful pictures!
ReplyDelete