Home-style beef noodle soup - feels inferior in the beef noodle city of Taiwan


I prefer to slow cook a good ol' beef stew. Tender chunks of beef, the flavorful essence in the beef stew gravy...and easiest cooking ever! Since I cannot put my slow cooker to good use here (why can't the world standardize on the electrical usage and voltage?), I could only try the other way, to slowly braise the beef stew in a sauce pan. This braised Pearl Onion Beef Stew turn out still good but I prefer the slow cooker version, definitely.

I just love the sweetness of pearl onions. Better than the usual yellow, or white onions :)


Pearl Onion Beef Stew
Ingredients: Stewing beef cubes, sliced celery, sliced carrots, sliced pearl onions, black pepper

Directions:
1. In light oiled pan, saute the onions, then add in beef, sliced celery and carrots.
2. Once slightly fried, add in some stock/water, add some black pepper, and allow it to simmer low heat for at least 30minutes

And what can a good beef stew do ? Wonders!

I could keep the leftover beef stew essence (mainly the gravy, and few pieces of meat) and use it to have some beef noodles soup the next day. Boil some noodles, add in some "new" greens at the side, and...a new meal - Home-style beef noodles soup

A very flavorful broth (beef stock) has cooked a simple noodle soup for Presto Pasta Night.

Tag: , ,

13 comments:

  1. I love your recipes that are simple one-pot dishes (esp. the slow cooker ones) and better yet, if the leftovers can get a "makeover" the day after.

    Perfect for a not-much-time bachelor like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yum...tender fork tearing beef pieces..exactly wat u wan for when u r lazy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ... I love stewed beef. But I always have problem getting the right cut and the beef turns out too chewy.

    Can I replace the beef with oxtail? Would it be the same?

    Why the world cannot standardize anything at all?! Good question. Not only voltage. Think of traffic direction ... right hand left hand drive. DVD+ and DVD-. PS3, XBox, PC that has the exact same computer/console game title but coded differently. Job creation?

    No clue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this isnt fair tigerfish, these photos are torturing me!! they look really really good!! i agree with you that meat soup are always best prepared in slow cooking...i love all the soup i see here!! yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love beef stew with celery....my kinda stew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yumm, i like beef with potatoes, carrots and celery...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does the beef noodle soup have the essential oriental taste? I always think of the Vietnamese Pho Bo as the standard bearer of beef noodle soup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply love the slow cooked method. It must be tender!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wah this looks so thick and rich man!! :)~~

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks like jewel of my crown! incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That beef stew looks simple and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am drooling over those pearl onions. They are one of my favorites!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. as usual...gorgeous photos and great food...the perfect combo. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete