Of tea, sweet snacks, preserved fruits

Chinese Tea + Preserved Plums/Fruits...may not be a traditional tea culture in Taiwan but it is definitely a tea culture that has evolved for some time now.

喝茶配梅子, at Mount Alishan, Taiwan

Since the Skinny Gourmet is holding a tea party at her place, I thought of sharing my insights of tea-drinking in Taiwan. You can find tea houses over Taiwan where it has become a lifestyle, an enjoyment to taste tea. Snacks are introduced in tea drinking just like how biscotti pairs off with a dose of java or wine and cheese tasting.

You need snacks...sweet snacks particularly, to reduce the acidity and tannins of pure coffee or tea consumption. Drinking tea or coffee on its own may be too strong (acidic) for some. Well, that's for some. While other individuals (like myself) are accustomed (addicted) and are able to down tea or coffee without any accompaniments.

See that first photo? Tea in a plunger. Not new but definitely modern. I'm more used to seeing and using a coffee plunger. Anyway, I was expecting high mountain tea of Alishan served in a traditional porcelain spout teapot! -_-

But if served in a teapot, there is a likelihood of getting a tea bag and not tea leaves. I was trying to pacify myself. Oh well, life cannot be too perfect. I rather have good quality tea leaves and sip the tea.

Preserved plums and fruits are quite common in Taiwan. Nibble a few of these plums when drinking tea or after a meal. I was really expecting a few. Too bad the staff was not too helpful (I think he did not know) in telling me the quantity when I asked.

And so, the plums came, in ramekins quantity!

You know, guys are not at all fascinated by preserved plums no matter how excited I can be over the variety. Why no excitement? Maybe you guys can tell me...too metro-sexual? preggie snacks? Tell me, tell me! ^0^

I had to finish two ramekins of preserved plums all by myself, in a single sitting. It's a lot!


Preserved kumquats - 金桔


Another variety of preserved fruit - I forgot the name/variety!

The tea was perfect for afternoon drinking. We asked for three refills of water in the plunger, and had to "doggie-bag" the leftover preserved fruits and plums !


阿里山日出二店, 阿里山日出有大美火鍋店 (Rihchu Store)
嘉義縣阿里山鄉中正村32號
Alishan Village, #32
Around Alishan Tourist/Visitor Information Area
Jiayi, Taiwan

Tag: ,

23 comments:

  1. oh i love preserved kumquats!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. tea with preserved fruits, i love these!! your photos are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can never eat much of preserved fruits... but i love tea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can also drink coffee without any other food to go with it....but that doesn't mean i'll mind having cake with it! hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful shots... I feel as though I could reach out and ick one of those preserved fruits and pop them in my mouth right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. err nothing more substantial ar?? haha i prob get more hungry after this..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those preserved fruits look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. a tea party sounds really relaxing and therapeutic, how I wish I can enjoy one now! wow that's really a lot of preserved fruits, no wonder u have to ta bao ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fun entry to the tea party. Thanks! I love the photos of the preserved fruits. I have never heard of preserved kumquats. Would they be considered a particularly traditional thing to serve with tea in Taiwan?

    Thanks for this insight into tea culture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. to bad i'm not able seing the photos, flickr was banned here :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the preserved plums of Taiwan! It's expensive in Singapore leh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey, I am wondering if the preserved plums are recycled, you know like when you go restaurants, they put down the chilli/ketchup on your table. :p It's just impossible to finish all in one sitting! But I would try if I were there. ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. always love enjoy looking at your travelling food photo.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. becoz guys like em fresh and becos its a ladies' thing . We kant be ladilike you c

    member, team bsg

    ReplyDelete
  15. So nice, you get to travel around Taiwan. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love preserved fruits too. Especially the Olive (it is fruit ya?!) and I used to eat it with Martini.

    Hey, how do you get your photos taken so nicely? You use a DSLR? Hmmm ... it is kind of hard to communicate with you via the comment section because mine usually get lost into the sea of comments you have. Email me (address at my webbie) or facebook me, can? I love the color of your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Preserved fruits -- such a different taste sensation than the sweet baked goods we usually associate with tea here in the US/UK.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely preserved fruits! I wished I can sip tea like this up in the mountains, but not possible here in singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i usually eat preserved fruits as snacks, never with tea..it's so formal! it's like high tea of the preserved fruits :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not too fond of tea but I'd love to try those preserved plums.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very delicious, am I pregnant?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never had a preserved kumquat. What's the flavor like? Can you compare it to a preserved apple, papaya or fig?

    ReplyDelete
  23. The plates on the table are enhancing the beauty of tea party. Beautiful !!

    suman
    free satellite tv

    ReplyDelete