Sausage Spinach Omelette - no SOS but SSO!

Spinach is a confusing vegetable (I am confused, not the vegetable). The older I become, the more confused I get. I used to grow up knowing just one kind of spinach - the spinach (or Amaranth - this name only got to me two years ago) that is typically used to cook soup. It's kinda late for me, I know. Sounds strange (or even shocking) to you, I know too. When did the confusion start? Ever since seeing other vegetables being labeled as "spinach" in the grocery stores - Water spinach, Chinese spinach, Baby spinach.

Now, I shall use Weekend Herb Blogging - this week's host - Wandering Chopsticks - to stop myself wandering and wondering to decipher SPINACH. Bear with me if you already know spinach at the back of your fingertips - as professional as how Popeye uses his grasp of front fingertips to pop spinach out from a can...right into this mouth!

Let us start with Baby Spinach since I have used Baby Spinach for this recipe. This is a variety with flat, spade-shaped leaves that are soft and tender in texture. It is mild in flavor (do not need blanching to mellow its bitter-iron taste as in matured spinach) and the leaves and short stems can be eaten raw. In fact, eating baby spinach raw is the best way to maximize its nutritional value. Just make sure you get organic ones or rinse them throughly before having them raw. But, whichever way you choose to prepare it, baby spinach is high in fiber and delicious, on its own or in a recipe like this:

Italian Sausage and Baby Spinach Omelette

Ingredients: Italian sausage, baby spinach (rinsed thoroughly and gently dab-dry with paper towels), 2-3 eggs whisked (with some ground pepper added)

Directions
: Heat some oil in flat pan. Add in sausages and when slightly brown, slowly add in whisked egg. Allow the egg to cook on the underside, then add in handfuls of baby spinach on top. Gently press the spinach to flatten, on the egg and sausage. The spinach will reduce in volume once contact with heat. Flip the egg over and allow the egg with ingredients to cook gently on the other side.

If you like Baby Spinach raw and au naturel - a few ideas for you. You can make Spinach Pesto and stuff them into scallops; or create Finger Food. Baby spinach is great for use in salads as it has a sweeter taste, probably due to its reduced concentration of oxalic acid. If you want something more elaborate, you can use thawed frozen spinach, puree it and add a finishing touch to Braised Tofu with Mushrooms.

Then, comes the Chinese Spinach which can be sub-categorized into Amaranth (苋菜; xiancài or yin choy in Cantonese) and Water Spinach (蕹菜; wengcài). Here you have Edible Amaranth, usually cooked in broth , and frozen spinach, thawed and chopped finely, going into these homemade wontons. The options are endless, aren't they ? And did you know the Kang Kong we so familiarly know, is known as Water Spinach , or more sophisticatedly Ipomoea Aquatica? I usually like mine Sambal Belacan style , how about you ?

Eat your spinach and go...POOT! POOT! (no pun intended) ^o^

Tag: , , ,

25 comments:

  1. i know what you mean! there are so many kinds of spinach nowdays! you are not the only one that's confused! :-)


    that popeye can is so cute! yup, one of those who grew up being influenced by popeye and spinach. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're the first guest to arrive. I feel like I should sweep and dust my blog a little in preparation for all the guests coming my way. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very very much confused as well. And there are the round-shaped, sharp-edged leaves. =X

    Yummy omelette!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me eat spinach, makes me Popeye? Strong BIG arms? I wish! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eat your spinach and go...POOT! POOT! (no pun intended) ^o^ -> i didnt know this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, lots of interesting and innovative recipes using spinach. My hubby cooks fried spinach. He just dips them in a special batter then deep fry them. They are great appetizers.

    I love kang kong. First time I heard its other name Ipomoea Aquatica. I'd better stick to kang kong or water spinach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spinach...especially the ones with the superior broth. But this egg dish looks delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy smokes. i could use some of that omelette. great addition of sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. spinach.... ? i love it

    check out my ws entry here

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your omelette! All in one, protein packed with healthy spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my..is it me or is ur vege really really green?

    ReplyDelete
  12. 苋菜 alone has a few types. I was confuse too! Using their Chinese names are less confusing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Used to feed my gal spinach when she was a baby. These days she doesn't want to eat it anymore. *sigh* I love Chinese spinach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a confusing blog entry ... kidding!

    Ha ha ha ... oh, this one is very doable. I will definitely give it a try - though I am not sure if I can get those exact sausages.

    The only way I eat spinach is to boil it and add a tiny bit of soy sauce. Boring, I know. But pretty nice to go with rice. I don't really mind bland food. Strange.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Popeye spinach??!!??!! Seriously, it's called Popeye spinach?? Sooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That omelette looks really tasty. Spinach is one of my favorite vegetables. I like the combo with the Italian sausage.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Idea! Hmmm omelette spinach looks yummy.....bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i knw wat u mean with the many kinds of spinach...eg i always thought "yuen choy" n "boh choy" are both spinach..only later i learnt abt amaranth..

    ReplyDelete
  19. my kinda food!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks like I am not the only one who is confused!

    Thanks, all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the primer on spinach. I've seen amaranth, the red kind, in the supermarket, but have never ventured forth.

    I'm picking up some pointers here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy..!! minus the sausage for me please.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I had never eaten raw spinach until I went to Looe in Cornwall. I bought some after and ate with some salad dressing. I quite like it. BTW, the omelette looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mouth watering....great to see this..


    Thanks for sharing...
    ___________________
    Andrew
    Lock in your price today for Your favorite channels - and keep it there until 2010!

    ReplyDelete