I'm not really sure about the rest of Asia, but when you are a Hong Kong local, or Singaporean, maybe Malaysian, Indonesian, or Vietnamese and when you are overseas for a long time - dim sum should be one of the easiest Chinese food that can set you on for cravings and satisfaction. Yes. Whether you are in London, New York or Los Angeles, Melbourne or Sydney, or even Dubai, it is definitely one of most popular non-Western non-vegetarian food-cravings of the day (thus the word "easiest"). I'm not talking about authenticity, but popularity. Putting rice aside as the Chinese staple, I vote "dim sum" as the most popular Chinese cuisine for the locals and international!
Tell me you do not like Siew Mai (Steamed meat dumplings) or Har Gow (Steamed shrimp dumplings). How about that moist and juicy, flavorful steaming Char Siew Bao (Steamed BBQ Pork Buns) - can they buy over and tantalize any carnivore's palates? Just trying to lift up one warm Bao (bun) from the bamboo steamers, with your dancing excited fingers must be one of the happiest moments in a dim sum restaurant or eatery.
Perhaps I was making a sweeping statement about dim sum popularity across the world. Maybe it was just ME again? When I was in Northern California, I tried searching for authentic and delicious dim sum. Koi Palace is good but Hong Kong Saigon Seafood Restaurant near Sunnyvale, California is not bad either. Both restaurants are visited by throngs of people. Ha, and to anchor onto that common but always-handy travel tip - when you are a non-Chinese tourist wanting to dine in a Chinese restaurant, look out for those that are visited by the Chinese themselves. It must be good if they themselves are eating the food!
Dim sum at Sunnyvale, California
Tell you I do not like dim sum ? Even a 2-day snap visit to Hong Kong , I have to have dim sum.
Yes. I have to have dim sum!
And in Taiwan, I have to look for dim sum too. But...but...but, I'm quite fussy when it comes to dim sum. It needs to be really authentic especially the taste, flavor and texture. How about an eatery that calls itself 香港小廚 (literally translates to Hong Kong Kitchen) ?
The pan fried chives dumpling is very good! You can see how thin and translucent the dumpling skin is, see through the skin to find generous and juicy fillings...
Steamed pork ribs is good too, but the taste of too much cooking wine infusion
Fried shrimp roll wrapped in beancurd sheet skin 鲜虾 腐皮卷 . Light and crispy with fresh shrimp fillings
Steamed rice rolls with shrimps fillings - Cheong Fun ....ok.
Non- dim sum items -
The roasted platter of meats is delicious too!
And another tip I tend to hear - when you are dining in a Cantonese restaurant, authenticity = Fried Beef Hor Fun. Although it is a simple dish, this is a dish that requires excellent skills of the chef or cook. The instant quick high heat frying that imparts the wok hei and flavor! The temperature of cooking where beef slices remain tender, rice noodles stay smooth, and Chinese chives are fragrant. The Fried Beef Hor Fun (rice noodles) cannot leave a coating of oil on the plate, must be evenly coated with sauce, separates easily (each strand of rice noodle should not stick and turn lumpy), and with the most wonderful aroma! OH, it is just too difficult to be a chef with these requisites.
I do not know what the sesame seeds are doing there!
Another popular Cantonese item - Claypot rice.
This is just so-so. Look at the soy sauce over the rice and you will know. Colors tell you something, don't they ?
香港小廚
台中市中港路一段167之3號
Taichung Kang Road, Section 1, 167-3
Taichung City, Taiwan
Tag: dim sum, taiwan eating
I love dim sum! I didn't grow up eating them because we were fairly poor and my dad hates eating outside (of the house).
ReplyDeleteI only started eating dim sum when I went to college (i.e. away from home). :-)
I hate greasy dim sum. Some HK dim sum can be quite icky.
a tip from some health oriented "aunties"...i saw them washing their greasy dim sums in hot tea...hehehe...they got rid of most of the excess oil and seasonings
ReplyDeleteas for me? i love my stuff greasy, tasty and maybe icky ^_^
icky icky yum yum
Washing dim sum in hot tea? That just seems sooooo wrong. I'd rather pig on out on the lovely grease, thank you very much. ;)
ReplyDeleteAnd count me as one big Dim Sum fan too! :D
I get vicious cravings for dim sum at least once in two months. Then I make my way to Chinatown in NY City or to Flushing, NY.
ReplyDeleteVive les dimsum!!! all mouthwather!!! your photos are really getting better and better. next time i'll be definitely licking the screen :-)
ReplyDeletei miss cheong fun!!! i'll definitely have some when we dropped by singapore. :)
ReplyDeleteThe more I scrolled down, the more I drooled! Worldwide tour of dim sum! DOUBLE YUM!!
ReplyDeleteI love HK dim sum too. It's now getting popular in PJ, I see more HK dim sum restaurant opening.
ReplyDeletewow..I was raised in Taichung but I didn't even know this place. Maybe I should try it out next time when I'm back to Taiwan....
ReplyDeleteI got hungry just staring at all those yummy dishes.
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this! I love seeing different types of dim sum.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was in Taipei last time, I didn't remember seeing any dim sum restaurants wor...mostly see pastry/cake shops and ma la huo guo restaurants. Hehe.
ReplyDelete