Sashimi with yellow roe - can anyone tell me what is it ?
This sashimi with lots of yellow roe chunks. I don't know what fish variety is this. Can anyone tell me? Is it kazuno - a winter specialty ? I may be wrong. And I ate an unknown sashimi!!! :O
i'm not very fond of raw foods but this looks delicious... did you like it? it must be one of those rare fishes you can only catch during a particular season :)...
hmmm for sashimi lovers amsure this is delicious. bt for someone like me, jst can't eat them raw. :)though i did try once and it was not a so good experience. :)
What does it taste like? OK. I'm not a sashimi expert but I still prefer the classic...salmon sashimi, for sure :D ..Roes were slightly "crunchy".
keropokman, good point! How did I order? Well, there are 5-6 items in the sashimi list, written in Mandarin/Japanese and I was just supposed to write the item # and quantity by the side. So, I tried everything there by item #, not by exact identity! LOL!
That looks gorgeous... I'll have enjoyed it no matter what it was called!
P.S. I recently Facebooked about making your tahini soba with pork floss for dinner (again, hehe), and a friend's gonna make me delicious mint choc brownies if I make her these and bring it over for potluck! Your recipes are the best! :D
oh!! I never see yellow fish egg/tobiko!!what a nice color!! As I know the ornage color toboki is from fish egg-low rate fish and red egg is from shrimp egg..as for black of course it's cavier!!lol!the highest rate roe but tell me about this yellow egg!!
asked my hb, the yellow roe is kazunoko (herring roe)... you got it (almot) right. had it last week, the roe sticking together like eating very hard agar-agar. at first i tot they added gelatine... :D
I had this today sashimi today at Shinyeh Japanese buffet restaurant in Taipei - the signboard says it’s goldfish roe sashimi, but I think it probably is carp roe sashimi…
I've never seen sashimi like this before. How fascinating! Did you like it?
ReplyDeletewoah..like the first time I have seen something so unique like this...mmm..
ReplyDeleteI've never seen something like this...
ReplyDeleteselfmaded?
happy ww!
i'm not very fond of raw foods but this looks delicious... did you like it? it must be one of those rare fishes you can only catch during a particular season :)...
ReplyDeleteLooks good. wouldn't mind trying it.
ReplyDeleteyou are one great sashimi hunter tigerscape!! great shot!!
ReplyDeletewow! That's the most interesting sushi I've ever seen!
ReplyDeleteno idea about fish - very cool capture though!
ReplyDeletehappy WW :)
Ewwwwwwww
ReplyDeleteIt has to be frog eggs ...
ReplyDelete:)
Or eggs of the Yellow Tail?
I am just joking ...
Cool photo. I hope it tasted good and that you can find out what it was.
ReplyDeletethis looks really awesome! did it taste good?
ReplyDeleteLOL @ the frog eggs comment.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea as I don't eat sashimi anything. But great photo, love the color!
Eating "unknown sashimi" is quite bold.
ReplyDeleteThat having been said, we love sushi and sashimi here, and it's making us hungry :)
Interesting- I wonder what is it too! hmmm
ReplyDeleteOhh.. how interesting. How did you order it?
ReplyDeleteThe yellow part reminds me of the nyonya kueh I had yesterday though. LOL.. ok, i totally no crass to compare sashimi to kueh. hehe...
I've never had that much roe before. What did it taste like?
ReplyDeletehmmm for sashimi lovers amsure this is delicious. bt for someone like me, jst can't eat them raw. :)though i did try once and it was not a so good experience. :)
ReplyDeletehappyWW!
I have to confess that I've never gotten enough courage to eat sashimi. My hub love it though.
ReplyDeleteI think it's swordfish - the colour of the skin and darker pink parts make me think that.
ReplyDeleteBut I've never seen it prepared with roe like that - so cool! Bet it was delicious.
Yellow tail, yellow bream, swordfish?
ReplyDeleteWhat does it taste like? OK.
I'm not a sashimi expert but I still prefer the classic...salmon sashimi, for sure :D ..Roes were slightly "crunchy".
keropokman, good point! How did I order? Well, there are 5-6 items in the sashimi list, written in Mandarin/Japanese and I was just supposed to write the item # and quantity by the side. So, I tried everything there by item #, not by exact identity! LOL!
That looks gorgeous... I'll have enjoyed it no matter what it was called!
ReplyDeleteP.S. I recently Facebooked about making your tahini soba with pork floss for dinner (again, hehe), and a friend's gonna make me delicious mint choc brownies if I make her these and bring it over for potluck! Your recipes are the best! :D
Striking color. I've never seen one like it before. It must be very tasty.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my other blog.
Maybe the eggs are tobiko that has been dyed yellow.
ReplyDeleteoh!! I never see yellow fish egg/tobiko!!what a nice color!! As I know the ornage color toboki is from fish egg-low rate fish and red egg is from shrimp egg..as for black of course it's cavier!!lol!the highest rate roe but tell me about this yellow egg!!
ReplyDeletetobiko dyed yellow!?!??! I'm freaking out.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry. I'm not so familiar with that yellow thing. It looks delicioso though.
ReplyDeleteasked my hb, the yellow roe is kazunoko (herring roe)... you got it (almot) right. had it last week, the roe sticking together like eating very hard agar-agar. at first i tot they added gelatine... :D
ReplyDeleteIsn't roe from sea urchins?
ReplyDeleteThe fish looks like mackerel. I've seen the green wasabi flavored fish roe but not the yellow one.
ReplyDeleteOh, the yellow roe looks like Kazunoko (Herring) roe.
ReplyDeleteAnd the white thin fish looks like white bait but bigger. Crystal Jade had them fried and called it 白饭鱼.
ReplyDeleteGood Job! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's herring sashimi! :)
ReplyDeleteI had this today sashimi today at Shinyeh Japanese buffet restaurant in Taipei - the signboard says it’s goldfish roe sashimi, but I think it probably is carp roe sashimi…
ReplyDeleteIt’s herring with roe
ReplyDelete