Chicken Tomato Curry, Tomato Chicken Curry

I have wanted to cook this dish for some time now, because it spells one of my favorite flavor combinations - spicy and tangy.


There are many spicy + tangy (combinations, permutations, levels, grade etc.) I love. For example, the combination of tamarind (assam) and pineapples in Assam Pineapple Prawns or Assam Fish, Tom Yum Soup and even Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup. These dishes are unique in the spice and sourness combination because each different ingredient (eg. chili or spice powder; tamarind, fruits or condiments such as vinegar) is tapped and employed differently for a characteristic taste via different cooking techniques). This Tomato Chicken Curry also has its spice and tangy factor but it is definitely not as sourish since tomatoes only adds a very mild tangy dimension. Well, ripe tomatoes are supposed to be mainly sweet, not sour.

Tomato Chicken Curry (Dry Version)
Ingredients: Chicken chicken drummettes or chicken wings, 1 medium-size tomato (cut to medium cubes), half a can of diced tomatoes, onions(sliced), 2tsp curry powder(or more, adjust accordingly), some chicken stock/water, salt and sugar to taste.

Directions:
1. In a lightly oiled pan, saute the onions till soft, then add in the raw cubed tomatoes.

2. Add in chicken and fry at medium heat to brown the chicken a little.
3. Then add in curry powder and half a can of diced tomatoes with the "tomato juice", mix well, and allow entire mixture to simmer and cook. If too dry, add some stock/water to partially submerge the chicken.
4. After ~10-15mins when the chicken is cooked, the sauce reduced, the onions turn soft and sweet, it is ready. Add in salt or sugar accordingly if you wish too (Note: For myself, the onions have given the dish its sweetness, so I did not add any sugar)


Almost like chutney curry?

This is my first time taking part in Weekend Wokking - a blog event started by Wandering Chopsticks, hosted this month by Blazinghotwok. How can I miss this since the secret ingredient - tomato, is one of my favorite and it features two of my favorite bloggers - Wandering Chopsticks and Blazing Hot Wok. :D

Tag: ,

31 comments:

  1. Ooh, this looks so yummy! I love the combination of flavours and I love the fact that it seems very simple to do. This has family favourite written all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so simple to do, Tigerfish, and yet guaranteed yummy. Great for busy moms with hungry kids around :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you added curry to this dish. Minus the usual coconut milk, it's healthier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I like tomato-simmered things... I don't think I've tried a tomato-based curry! Will have to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what type of curry powder did u use? I'm drooling over this dish now, and dreaming that I'm eating this with warm rice :)~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, so no tamarind? You tease! I like the combo of tomato and curry though. You finally joined in. Took you long enough! Hmph! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. curry chicken tomato!! yum yum!! now you make me wanted to cook curry now!..oh!! I got tomato from my garden too:P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like sweet and sour dishes. This dish is definitely my choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love using tomatoes in curries too! i love spicy and tangy treats too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm new at making curries. Thanks for the tip. This dish looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i was dying to eat curry yesterday.;im glad im here to enjoyt this dish even virtually its filling!! yummy

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are the kinds of simple curries I love to have in my repertoire for spur-of-the-moment weekday entertaining. They always taste great and look beautiful, and most everything comes from the pantry except for the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW, looks delicious! Easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy..!! will try it sometime.. when i am feeling better. If you donch know by now.. i went for a huge operation. Check this out.. :)
    http://www.desperatehousecows.com/2008/07/fibroids-uterus/
    but if you are not into bloody and gross stuff.. donch go there ya.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can eat that with many many many bowls of rice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. took me awhile to understand the title..almost read the same..

    ReplyDelete
  17. THat looks like a really tasty curry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks great! i heart curries!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cool dish for children too as it's not that spicy at all. If anyone love Italian dishes, they would surely like this too. :)

    Don't forget to visit my blog... I have a food contest from 31st July 2008 onwards.
    http://crizfood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, tomato + chilli reminds me of traditional ayam masak merah.

    I love to put fresh tomato (not tomato sauce) in my food. Even a bit of it will make the food taste special. In fact, a few dishes that my mum cooks, she adds tomato inside and that's her secret ingredient. Without the skin, the tomato just dissolves and people will be wondering what makes the food taste so nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photo! So healthy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. chicken, tomato and curry ... sounds good!!!
    love your shots, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tomato in curry??? Sounds good! I will try your recipe, definitely better than the usual unhealthy coconut milk based curry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yes yes yes! This is y type of curry! Bring it on!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks very interesting. I don't think I've tried something like that before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. looks so yummy delicious. . . . salivating one piece of the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  27. curry and tomato. iv never had this kind before but i sure wud like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I pretty much love anything cooked in curry! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooohhh...imagine adding a little okra in the stew and serve it over rice. Yummmmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Tomato and curry = best flavor combination ever. This is such a comforting dish.

    ReplyDelete