Poutine - French fries comfort food



Taken at IN CASA Restaurant, Taichung City, Taiwan

Not your usual French fries but French fries topped with fresh cheese curds, covered with brown BBQ chicken gravy and sometimes other additional ingredients.

Also known as Poutine, the freshness of the curds is important as it makes them soft in the warm fries, without completely melting. I read that this is a Canadian comfort food, especially but not exclusively in Quebec. Is that true, Canadians there?

Tag: ,

44 comments:

  1. Reminds me of cheesy fries of Jollibee here less the herbs and spices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..!! very the true..!!! they loves to eat poutine..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, it's a Quebec thing originally. Total comfort food! I always have poutine when I'm in Canada on holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy!!! Cool shot for WS! Hope yo'll visit mine too... Have a great day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very caloric, but for sure this one taste really, really good!

    My WS pictures are posted in these blogs:
    Le Kulitszie Familie
    Shutter Happenings
    Jenn Was Here

    Hope you can drop by. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wowwwww...i'd loveeeee these babies!

    one of my all time favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Are those yellow toppings fresh cheese curds? I thought they were egg yolks... that might be a nice topping too, come to think of it, for these fries. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummy!! i had some when i was in canada last summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to adopt that Canadian child! Looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. melted cheese on fries - that's definitely comfort food to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first time I tasted poutine, I thought, "this is awful." The second time, I got it, and I've been hooked ever since. Whenever we visit Montreal, I must have poutine. Your photo takes me back there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This look sinfully good!!! Poutine huh.. that sounds like an acquired taste cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks yummylicious! by the way, i'm from quebec. :)

    http://biancaelyse-mylife.blogspot.com/2008/07/bon-giorno.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yummy and delicious food...mine is up also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've usually had poutine with a browner gravy than the one shown here. The gravy usually tastes processed. Admittedly, I've never had poutine in Quebec, only at "fast food joints" like NY Fries. BBQ chicken gravy sounds different, but good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still prefer my fries crispy, not soggy like that! :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks yum and will do this soon to have a taste of Quebec:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yhea, I don't think it's easy to find "real" poutine here in Vancouver... we're so West-Coasty and all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks like an express train to high cholestrol n heart attack!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh i love poutin..although we don't have it in Manila.

    thanks for dropping by my WS entry for this week:

    http://www.myplanetpurple.com/2008/07/weekend-snapshot-12-splash-safari.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always thought that it was a Quebecois thing, Love the poutine and stuffed myself with it when I was there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It may have originated in Quebec (I don't know for sure) but I do know that it is throughout Canada (being almost a Canadian myself since I live right on the border of northern NY and Canada). We have Poutine here in our area and I'm sure its overflow from Canada!

    High in calories it may be, but its delicious and eaten in moderation isn't bad!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks yummy :-)

    Here in Scotland an obligatory food on the way home from a night out is 'chips 'n' cheese'....and if you're really drunk; 'chips, cheese and coleslaw'!!

    No-one ever has any memory of eating this due to intoxication but it's perfect for satisfying drunken munchies!

    High in calories, but surely worth it every once in a wee while?

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am from Quebec and it did originate there! I have worked in other provinces in Canada and it doesn't taste as great as the Quebec one ;) I now live in the US and I miss it bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sauce is not brown, is it? This looks like some fancy pants take on poutine, not the "dirty poot" my friends and I eat out of styrofoam containers. Dirty poot forever, by the way - this is not a food that should be gussied up. It's working class and comfortable, not the slightest bit pretentious, and all the more loved for it.

    At any rate, it's a Quebecois thing through and through, and although you can find it in some other parts of Canada, it's never as good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As if I needed another reason to want fries! Jeez Tigerfish! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. As if I needed another reason to want fries! Jeez Tigerfish! :) Oops didn't mean to be anonymous :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yes yes,
    I've been searching for that every since I left Canana (went there for vacation many years ago),
    Guess where I had it,
    McDonald's in Quebec!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had this when I was in Vancouver. Great snack after a night out.

    Mina

    ReplyDelete
  30. I still love MC Donald fries!...that fries must have thousand calories per stick!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It certainly looks very comforting to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It has been way too long since I last had poutine!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That really looks mouthwatering. I want to have some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've never had that before - going to look that up right now

    ReplyDelete
  35. In Quebec, a lot of the fast food chains also sell poutine and I think Burger King does it throughout Canada. Poutine is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes, I live in Western Canada and most of the fast food chains sell poutine on their menu! It's great! Fries, melted cheese, topped with gravy! mmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my! I love poutine. I live down South now in Tennessee. But I used to live in New York, and would get poutine every time I visited Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh, that's authentic, alright. and it's one of the best food combinations known to mankind.

    now i'm starving.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Seeing this recipe posted on your blog is like amazing! Poutine is like the national food of Quebec. It's a food group of its own there, no serious. Hehehe...and eating 1 serving of poutine is liken to eating a pound of butter! Hey, it's cold here in Montreal...need to build layers of fat hehehehe

    But what is that yellow cheese doing there? It is just suppose to be just cheese curd! Bastardization of the poutine in Taiwan...NOOOOooooooooo.

    How did they get cheese curds in, Taiwan...ppl in the US, except maybe for remote areas in New Jersey, have a hard time finding it in their local supermarket.

    Sorry for the long post, poutine gets me talking.

    ReplyDelete
  40. ooo. i am quite tempted to try. i just had fries.

    it was a post lunch, fries thingy because we were still hungry. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm sure it was tasty, but very fattening thou...

    ReplyDelete
  42. love fries with lots of sauces/gravy... yummm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Poutine is not that bad. Just French fries with cheese curds and gravy. Yummy ! The picture above looks like more of a taiwanese version of the Canadian poutine.

    Cathy
    French online

    ReplyDelete