Green, green, vegetables of home

It's St. Patrick's day on 17 March 2007. I do not know much about this day, except for the elements of "Irish" and "Green". I could not stop laughing when Ming Merciless posted this and there was a comment about the chinese saying of wearing green hats (戴绿帽, pronounced as dai lu mao). Oh my goodness (I'm laughing again). Yet one example of culture differences.

Back to the "Green" theme, green, green, grass of home; green, green, vegetables of home.

I like to cook with celery, whether it is using them as a "root vegetable" to flavor soup, or just to be simply savored as a vegetable in a stir-fry. I seldom eat it on its own though, when it's ok (and healthy) to do so. I tend to combine celery in stir-fry with most of the not-so-leafy greens/vegetables because of the texture differences (celery tends to maintain its crunch, even after 10-12mins stir frying while most of the leafy greens start to become limp and overcooked within 5-8mins of stir-frying). I tried combining celery with cabbage before and it worked well. Both are flavorful vegetables, so the outcome is...what else but more flavor (and mixture of textures). This time, I tried long beans and celery. And, what else but more crunch (and flavor!). You find synergy in cooking too!

Stir fry long beans and celery (ingredients quantity depends on servings required)
Simply:
Have the long beans and celery cleaned, and cut into bite-size lengths respectively. Rinse the the dried anchovies and dried shrimps in water to soften.


More simply: Heat up some oil in the fry pan; add in dried anchovies and dried shrimps and fry till fragrant. Add in long beans and celery and fry (5-7mins) till cooked (crunchy and tender is the way to go here). Serve over rice.


Some of the "green" stuff I have in the past:
Princess and the Pea Sprouts

Real spinach, fake fish cake

Dear okra, don't try to be funny with me

Kang Kong's friend is your friend, Kang Kong's enemy is also your friend

Snowing in fall

Once upon a time

Is my screen green enough for St. Pat's day - Green or Irish ?
St. Pat's Day: Green or Irish



Tag: ,

25 comments:

  1. I must cook a vegetatable dish liao...I just realised I do not have any veggie dish served on Rasa Malaysia yet...so unhealty! OK OK, this weekend I make some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 戴绿帽, LOL! :D

    Im seeing green~ already.. heh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitively enough green! :-)
    thank you for joining the party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walau eh... your dishes, even if it's veggie that I hate, always look so yummy one... If my mum were to cook veggie the way you do, I'm sure I'd grow to like them! Hmmmm....

    BTW, you've been tagged by me. Checked out my blog. Dun blame me, blame ECL lor ... heheh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy St Paddy's Day. With the luck of the Irish, someone will cook my dinner for me tonight, I also read on eastcoast's blog that you are a wonderful cook, hmmm must come rub shoulder a bit more with you now, hehe :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i'm right there with you on the celery when its stir fried. something about it i love. i love celery in all forms too, the centers with the leafy green tops are the best. this all looks so good, now i have to go get a snack!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. RM- I'll be in for a treat again :D
    You always come out with something so pretty and delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. zhenning, 年纪轻轻 already know 戴绿帽!

    zorra, tx for hosting it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. chris, you complain your mummy's cooking ah, you! Which is the veggie you hate ? okra izit?

    firehorse, you are so lucky to have someone cook dinner for you :D
    eastcostlife gives you too much false hope lah...I'm just an "ok" cook (really).

    ReplyDelete
  10. aria, to celery lovers of the world, unite! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. tiger, first time i see veg dish with all the fish cake arrange like that.

    it's easy for me to pick all the fishcakes first :-p

    i like the ladies fingers. yum yum..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm... can I celebrate St. Pat's over your house from now on? Everything looks so fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tag, you're it! Go here to read all about it. Heheh. :P
    http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2007/03/luscious-dumplings-inc-san-gabriel.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I looooove brussel sprouts! *everybody goes ewwwww at me*

    I don't know why but everybody i know doesn't like brussel sprouts...but i now know one who does! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. buddingcook, sounds like something edible..how nice we have some day that celebrate food ;p

    ReplyDelete
  16. keropok man, there're still fishcakes in that heap...pick from the side as you wish...heee heee...

    susan, will you be moving the basement full of food here as well? LOL! Kidding! Glad you like them :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. wandering chopsticks, you have another homework for me! I have not even done my first assignment :O

    ReplyDelete
  18. expedited writer, yup! some don't like brussel sprouts due to that hint of bitterness, i guess. Now, brussel sprouts lovers of the world, unite! Yay! Brussel sprouts are so easy to cook and are so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great green veggies you have there. I don't need to tell you which ones are my fave, right? Because, all of them!!!

    Drool.

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those greens look absolute delicious. I love all of them especially the belacan kangkong and okra but unfortunately cant get my kids to like greens. There is one that they would like, the spinach with fish cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea to "Asianize" this very Irish feast day! Thanks for all the great ideas, Tigerfish. Will have to incorporate these into our St. Paddy's celebration next year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mae- I can't choose mine as well! I love all of them.

    Suanne-Would your kids just pick and eat the fish cakes, and leave the spinach as is? :D How do you make them get their vege fix? *curious*

    Stef-it's a healthy way to celebrate St. Paddy without the Irish beer/stout, ya?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love vegetables; really I do. :-)

    I love okra and kang kong, but not cooked spinach (I prefer them raw) or the celery.

    ReplyDelete
  24. ming merciless, it must be...if not, I wonder what you eat (if you are carbo-"intolerant"...;p )
    This spinach is not that "western" spinach that you can eat raw. These are the chinese spinach in which the leaves are much much bigger than those that can be eaten raw.

    ReplyDelete