I'm turning the traditional good ol' barbecued pork into an appetizer snack. What is it? This is it.
Basically, this appetizer snack (also seen in dim-sum eateries, known as char siew sou-叉烧酥) can be made using any leftover barbecued meat (preferably pork), or pulled pork of the wild wild west.
BBQ or barbecued pork pastry, 叉烧酥 (makes about 3-5)
Ingredients:
-1/2 to 2/3 of a rectangular sheet of puff pastry -PepperRidge Farm. (Yes, I still have leftover puff pastry after making mini chicken pie, curry puffs, chicken strudel, and puff pastry mushroom soup. Indefinite supply of puff pastry? I bought 2 boxes at one go the other time, what were you thinking? )
-~1-1.5 cups barbecued pork, or char siew; cut into tiny cubes (I got store-bought ones from the "hot-food" station in the Asian supermarket). If you've got pulled pork, it should do.
-1tsp minced garlic
-1/2-1 cup chopped onions
-1tbsp oyster sauce
-pinches black pepper
-2tsp cane sugar
- water, amount adjust accordingly
- 1/2tsp cornflour
- some butter, for browning of the pastry crust
Method:
1. Thaw the puff pastry according to package instructions
2. Meanwhile, heat some oil in frying pan low-medium heat, add all ingredients , except the cornflour and water, lightly fry for ~3-4mins. If mixture to dry, add some water. Let simmer for ~3mins.
3. Add in the cornflour to thicken the pork mixture. The final "product" or intended filling will look like this -
4. Let the pork mixture cool and at this time, prepare the puff pastry for "action" - sprinkle some flour on a flat surface, roll out and flatten the pastry sheets and cut into rectangular sections (about 10x3 cm)
5.Add the pork filling, wrap them into shape of a rectangular roll, remember to seal the edges
6. Bake 395F for 20-25mins. Butter the top of the pastry before baking, for the golden crust.
Warmly baked BBQ pork pastry
Other snacks:
Stir fried chee cheong fun or rice rolls
Pita pizza
Spicy fried chicken wings
Barbecued meat or pulled pork turned into finger friendly appetizer snacks to bring to Blog Party -Wild Wild West.
With the savory BBQ pork pastry, let's sweeten and refreshen up by having some mango slushy - made with mango (coarsely pureed), crushed ice and adding some pomelo/grapefruit sacs. Make sure to bring the largest straw available (the widest opening you can find!) to suck out those tiny bits of fruits as you drink. You can drink your fruits! My mango slushy cocktail! A great hot-weather pick-me-up!
Other snacks:
Mini burgers
Curry cuties
Begedil -Potato and meat patties
Tag: BBQ, BBQ pork, pulled pork, barbecued, appetizer, snacks
*drool* My mom makes those too! They're so good. Now I have another try-out recipe! You're a culinary genius :)
ReplyDeleteWow!!!! Those pork pastries look so great. I am going to add this to my list of recipes to try.
ReplyDeletei like the filling more than the skin. hehe.
ReplyDeletei see that bowl of 'liao' there, i can just eat it man....
hmm you are the expert in 'making things better', are you going to make prawn fillings and wrap it up in the puff pastry too?
You and I must be on the same food energy! I just BBQ pastries yesterday too! I haven't posted yet. That is so funny. Your pastry looks so much more flaky than mine. Which brand?
ReplyDeleteI would love a mango slushy right now! Too bad we're not having the hot weather to go with it - rainy and cold over here!
ReplyDeleteI was going to make this tomorrow. Lol that's so funny. You, Jaden, and and I are thinking alike. :D
ReplyDeleteLove the moist filling. Must be the onions.
ReplyDeleteI can never eat more than 2 of these at one go.
ReplyDeleteomg you are such an accomplished chef! Your pics make me want to go straight out to get something, anything!, with char siu in it!
ReplyDeletejadedone, nah...I did not make the BBQ from scratch. I bet your mum did. You flatter me too much.
ReplyDeletesara, thks! Try and let me know how it goes.:D
KM, ya man...then you cannot eat char siew pau, and char siew sou, just attach the char siew in the
char siew peng can liow! *lol*
jaden, what BBQ pastries did you make? I use Pepperridge farm pastry, how 'bout you?
wok and spoon, rainy and cold...remind me of the times in Brussels. Hate that feeling.
Maybe the BBQ pork pastry goes with the rainy and cold weather better. Save the slushy for other time. ;p
I dont eat 叉烧酥 or 叉烧包 but yours really looks yummy! Bet my hubby will love it!
ReplyDeleteamy, funny...what else is in store in your kitchen menu and Jaden's ? Hmmm....
ReplyDeletesimcooks, yes the onions....but I added some cornflour and water to thicken
and moist the mixture too.
dk, you so small appetite meh? Can eat all the stingray etc...but only 2 char siew sou, so jelat arh?
lyrical lemongrass, no no no...dun call me a chef. I'm just a home cook. Aiyo....you think think about char siew sou now, later will appear right in front of you again...you lucky one ;p
ehemm...you know I still have a goal to make char siu pao...someday! I'm intimidated by the skin...but your actually doable :)
ReplyDeletei love this so much, it reminds me of something i used to get at dimsum in nyc. mmmmm!!!!
ReplyDeletewokking mum, how come you don't eat 叉烧酥 or 叉烧包? Cos' you scared too much "red coloring" used in char siew or what? Hmmm.....
ReplyDeleteeliza, you have delicate fingers for baking...I'm sure you could do the pao skin. Actually, I prefer char siew pao to the sou (pastry), but I never thought of doing the pao myself because I know I will never succeed. At least there is puff pastry to help me with these. :)
ReplyDeletearia, time to head to the dim-sum restaurant, ya! :p
My mom used to buy these for us. But they are usually round, with soft puff pastry and char siew meat inside.
ReplyDeleteming merciless, oh! They come in rounds too? I'm so used to seeing them in rectangulars! Shd have used my muffin pan to make a cripsy char siew pao! haha! Now you mentioned it, think I've seen it too.
ReplyDeleteBecause I dont really like meat especially fatty one :p Everytime my hubby orders 叉烧包, I will eat the 包, he will eat the 叉烧. LOL
ReplyDeletewokking mum, I see I see...you very healthy. We can share a 叉烧包 next time coz I will eat the 叉烧 and you will eat the 包...LOL!
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures! Now I'm hungry for char siew sou. :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't had that for a long time. It sure looks delicious. Unfortunately they don't sell char siew over here lah. I got to make it myself - haven't tried making one before.
ReplyDeleteEast Meets West, do you make your own char siew?
ReplyDeletecooking ninja, with your baking skills, you could definitely make everything from scratch. I'm a cheater bug who uses ready made puff pastry.:O
Yum! I had a craving for these this weekend. Now I know what to make with leftover char siu (specially when I am sick of char siu ramen. :o\)
ReplyDelete