Egg masala - spicy eggs and tomatoes


To my Indian trials-n-collection here and here, I also tried this recipe from Hooked on Heat, but omitted the mustard seeds (not on purpose) and kicked it up a notch using red chili, in addition to the green. The lycopene in tomatoes are raised up many levels if you cook your tomatoes longer whilst the heat during cooking also allows more desirable antioxidants in tomatoes to be made available to the body.

Masala is a term used in Indian cuisine to describe a mixture of many spices. Garam masala is a blend of ground spices common in the Indian cuisine, whose literal meaning is "hot (or warm) spice". There are many variants: most traditional mixes use just cinnamon, roasted cumin, cloves, nutmeg and green cardamom seed or black cardamom pods. Many commercial mixtures may include more of other less expensive spices and may contain dried red chili peppers, dried garlic, ginger powder, sesame, mustard seeds, turmeric, coriander, bay leaves, cumin, and fennel. Garam masala can be used during cooking, but unlike many spices, it is often added at the end of cooking, so that the full aroma is not lost. Garam masala is not "hot" as compared to chilis, but is fairly pungent.


Frying the onion. Appeared yellowish after adding turmeric powder.


Simmering the tomatoes with onions - I used canned whole tomatoes


Do not judge a book by its cover - Do not be deceived by the innocent look of the tomatoes gravy, this is VERY VERY SPICY (Note: due to the green serrano chili I added)


Ate it with naan. Yumz....

Other ways to deal with eggs:
Humpty Dumpty Sambal Eggs
As egg gravy in Wat Dan Hor ~ Rice noodles in seafood and egg gravy
Frittata, omelette or cookie ?

Tag: , , , ,

13 comments:

  1. cannot see the photos wor! Have to come back again. No photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garam masala bought from TJ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ECL, wat ya mean? You can't see any photos....:( ...haiz....but I can leh. Dunno what happened?

    simcooks, I did not use Garam Masala here but the masala is the combi of different spices I've used. Only recently, I got a commercial pack of garam masala, from an Indian grocer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! I should make more Indian food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eggs and chili so this looks like a fantastic combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've just been tagged! See my latest post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. amy, indian food is common in the city where I am now. So I decided to try to make some my own :D ...the "influence" factor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wokandspoon, chili queen - think you'll like egg sambal :p ..that one simply just EGG and CHILI!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lyrical lemongrass, I'll go check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eggs and tomato are delicious and I'm sure they're delicious together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmm, yum! indian is something i have no experience cooking. right now i'm gathering the ingredients fora curry fish stew. hiopefully it waill come out as delicious as this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. patricia, spot on!

    aria, curry fish stew...already sounds delish to me. What ingredients would you need?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Egg masala will always remind me of my college days. We used to work throughout the nights and then walk to the railway station at 4 in the morning for a hot and super spicy plate of greasy egg masala!
    Yours look yummy!

    ReplyDelete