Korean tofu stew, spicy seafood hotpot - quick-fix version

I did say "I'll be back" when I ate my korean tofu stew- soon du bu, and I'm really back with my own quick-fix. No test of skills since I used a pre-packed tofu broth seasoning (no preservatives, no MSG)-Pulmuone brand, to make my seafood tofu stew. If you are thinking of making your own broth, you might need some beef extract, clam extract, red pepper and mussel extract - these are the ingredients of the Pulmuone pack.

Do you like Korean tofu stew ? I like it the best in the colder months but having it in summer is a different satisfaction altogether.

The Pulmuone broth, made quite an authentic Korean tofu stew (soon du bu)

Quick-fix Korean Tofu Stew (serves 2-3)
Ingredients:
-1 pack Pulmuone brand Tofu broth seasoning
-1 pack extra-soft tofu
-seafood medley of prawns, clams, etc
-2 eggs

Method:
1. Follow instructions on the pack.
2. Add the tofu and seafood, according to sequence on the pack instructions
3. When the stew is simmering with bubbles, break 2 eggs into the stew and serve immediately
4. Wonderfully appetizing with rice

My seafood stew has lil' baby octopus in it


1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 tentacles

When it's summer, and when you savor something spicy, SHIOK! It's that sweating feeling ;) Of course, I still like my korean tofu stew in Korean Tofu House, along El Camino Real, Santa Clara, and will go back again even though I can get an instant-soon du bu-fix at home. Quick-fix can't beat the real-fix.

Also see Korean tofu stew being made home-style here and here.

Tag: , , , ,

23 comments:

  1. The octopus look delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your korean soup looks deliciously spicy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi again! too bad i didn't get a chance to try Korean Tofu House while I was in California 3 weeks ago. looks like the restaurant is everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dk, mini octopus...crunchy crunchy!

    east meets west kitchen, spicy but still ok. I rate it mild-medium :)

    eliza, I don't think they have branches but maybe of the same name Korean Tofu House, yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. slurp! haha thats looks stunning..great for an appetizer or a warm soup to drink while watching a movie late at nite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. little baby octopuss yayayayay eat their yummy young!!!!

    yy favirute in soups smilessss....

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy looks good! i want to chomp a baby octopus. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love baby octopus!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "joe", you are know how to create an "atmosphere" ;)

    aria, are you rapping ? buahahahha...

    buddingcook, you can add them in your next tofu stew. :)

    wokkingmum, which way -soups or deep fried? I like deep fried baby squid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh yeah that looks good! Another recipe for me to try out. Where did you get the baby octopi and Puhlmuone seasoning? I'm guessing Ranch 99?

    This would be a good dinner on a cool night w/ glass noodles on the side :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. jadedone, got them from Hankook. The baby octopi was part of the seafood medley pack from Hankook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never had soon dubu before. But I love seafood and tofu! Must remember to find the tofu broth you mentioned... Yours look so good! so is the leftover with soba!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE Korean tofu stew. Almost as much as I like the hot stone bowl bibimbop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mandy, oh you have to try it. Do you like spicy food?

    ming merciless, I'm not a fan of bibimbap. My fav Korean dish is still the spicy tofu stew. SluRp!

    ReplyDelete
  15. my goodness...i just posted a recipe on kimchi stew :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. wah.....

    we got no winter here, so having this soup is always a summer affair. (but we got aircon... hmm....)

    ReplyDelete
  17. arghhh, Singapore so hot now! Eat this can sweat non-stop. I love crunchy mini octopus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. hey tigerfish,

    just want to tell you, your tofu stew inspired me to make a new tofu dish with gochujang (the only korean condiment I have now), though not as nice as your tofu stew, at least I got my craving curbed, for the time being. :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. the expedited writer, sync-ing in summer :p

    KM, if I have this in S'pore, need air-con too.

    ECL, on the air-con...buahahha!

    mandy, I thought your tofu dish is quite unique. The "porous" tofu must have absorbed the gochujang flavors so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That baby octopus looks cute and delicious at the same time! I would totally eat it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. amy, it's got that crunchy texture, sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This soup looks really good. It made me think of the Korean TV dramas, "Dae Jang Geum" that I watched in Thai. In the movie, there was a lot of soup and food. I always want to try some. Your Korean spicy soba noodles recipe looks good and looks very easy too. I just have to find the soup base.

    ReplyDelete
  23. khun ying, look for a good soup base to start off with, or make it from scratch...you will be rewarded! :D Thks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete