Noodles made of soy bean? Birth of a summer salad delight

Have you heard of curd noodles? It was my first time, hearing and seeing these noodles. Call myself a foodie... tsk tsk.

Curd noodles are also known as tofu noodles or soybean curd noodles. These noodles are made from compressed tofu (not wheat or flour) and packed with protein and nutrients. When cooked, they are non-sticky and not easy to break. Hmmmm...non-sticky...sounds good as a salad. Desperately in need, soaring temperatures to come. If you are keen and willing to give these "special" noodles a try, look for them in the refrigerated section of Asian markets. They are usually near the tofu packs and/or near fresh (refrigerated) noodles. YJ taught me an easy way to prepare the noodles, and I thought of sharing this with you as part of my "less stove-top cooking" project.

Curd Noodle Salad (can be appetizer or main dish)
Ingredients:
- a pack of curd noodles, blanched in boiling water, to soften and "loosen up" the noodles
- celery, washed/cleaned thoroughly and julienned to thin strips (Note: I use a peeler to help me achieve the "noodle-effect" in my celery. It'll be so much easier to enjoy the salad this way since the celery strips and noodle strands will not "segregate" on their own when tossed as a salad)


- some dried shrimps, soaked in warm water to soften, then chopped into small bits (Note: You can pre-fry the dried shrimps, or if you already have pre-fried dried shrimps, use them. But my objective here is to have less stove-top and oil-free cooking, thus I just use pre-soaked/soften dried shrimps)
- some sesame oil
- dashes of pepper
- pinch of salt, to taste


How to: Place ingredients in a bowl, toss and mix well. (Note: If having it later, you can keep in the fridge for up to 2 days)

There you go, a healthy, nutritious noodle salad...enjoy :)

Easy, isn't it? I would love to share this summer delight over at Presto Pasta Night.



Other cool delights this summer:
Chinese vegetable salad
Mango slushy
Lemon linguine
Gado gado-Vegetables medley in spicy peanut sauce/dressing

Embracing the soaring temperatures, you could also freeze some berries (rasp-, black-, blue-, olallie-), and when you find the heat too overbearing, head over the freezer for a berry icy treat (I did not ask you to open the freezer door and enjoy the cool air from there...:p).

Tag: , ,

24 comments:

  1. Gosh! so pretty, love the way you stack up the tofu noodles and celery. They are so vibrant and so tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, first time seeing this curd noodle too. So, does it tastes like beancurd when you eat it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not heard of curd noodle. Sounds interesting. Will look our for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm
    maybe i should go to NTUC or any other supermarts and start looking for them...

    how interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. tiny shrimps with noodle salad, clever :) You hiding any jumbo shrimps for July 4th cookout ? Have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely nutritious! I like your preparation method. Shall try it this weekend. It's so blardy hot in Singapore now. grrrr.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't heard of tofu noodles. Where did you find them? How well did they hold up to being tossed? More importantly, how was the taste and texture?

    I wonder if they could be used for somen salad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of tofu noodles but I can't wait to try them! it sounds like the perfect diet food!! Where did you get them from? Asian grocery store? In the cool section?

    ps.
    You're lucky you're getting hot weather - it's all rain and brrrr over here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tofu noodles sounds interesting! Now I'll have to go hunt them down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for this recipe -- I've never had tofu noodles, but will definitely look for them in the Asian market next time I'm shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. big boys oven,surprisingly, the celery strands have a good "biting" texture to it, when tossed with the noodles.

    little corner of mine, first time I was being introduced to these noodles too. I think it's quite common in Taiwanese cuisine.
    Yes, taste like beancurd, ...errr...more like soy beans.

    stay at home mum, hmmmm.....let me know where in Sg can get. I'm curious to know. :)

    KM, ya ya....tell me where got sell. I kay-poh want to know leh!

    MW, hee hee...seeing small and thinking big arh! No jumbo shrimps in this lah...decided to give those jumbies a break on 4th July too. :) Hope you enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ECL, you tryin with these noodles? You know where to get? It's SOoooo HOT here yesterday and today too! Arrrghhh......

    nate 2.0, got them in R99. They are with the tofu and fresh noodles, wonton skins etc.
    These noodles hold up quite well, taste like soy-bean(the sesame oil brings out the flavor really well) and regular-medium(tofu)
    texture. Do experiment with it and let me know...I can try your conconction too!

    wokandspoon,yep..Asian grocery- at the cool section of tofu, fresh egg noodles etc. I don't like the hot weather but I hate it when it rains all day(gloomy) too. I like the perfect weather (as if there is such weather)....;)

    east meets west kitchen, oh yes, do hunt around. Adds a new dimension to noodles dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lydia, yes yes...stock them up in your perfect pantry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard of those noodles before, but haven't seen them in the stores here yet. Hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post and beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing this delightful summer dish over at Presto Pasta Nights. I love finding something new and easy when things get so hot I feel like I'm melting!

    Check back for the Presto Pasta Night Roundup later today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. sara, you do? You heard of them before? I don't think all Asian groceries stores carry them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went looking for them today but unfortunately none in the Asian foodstore that I went to :-(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never seen curd noodles in my store. I'll ask that they carry them. Your salad is very inventive and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this...I didn't know about it until trying it out at a Taiwanese restaurant in the bay area and am booked. 凉拌干丝,so good. I like I like.

    ReplyDelete
  20. wokandspoon, hmm.....think not every Asian foodstore carries them....maybe you will have better luck back in Melbourne.

    sher, oh yes, they will be a good addition to any Asian store :D

    RM, yes yes 凉拌干丝...that's the name.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. i LOVE these noodles. I forgot all about it till you wrote about it. I'm sure that I will be able to find it at the Asian grocer here. It's so flavorsome and doesn't require much to make it delectable. Your recipe sounds delicious. I like my dried shrimp fried.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've open up my foodie eyes! Hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  23. nora b, I would fry my dried shrimps if I happen to want to do a fried dish at the same time :D ...you must find the noodles and try it.

    wmw, you too, have opened up my foodie eyes....:D

    ReplyDelete