Citron honey chicken

Yuja is a round, lemon-like citrus fruit, also known as yuzu in Japanese and English. It has an aroma which cannot be substituted, a powerful acidity and a plentiful supply of vitamin C. Along with berries, this citrus fruit contain antioxidant- flavonoids, unique to the citrus family. In Korea, it is used to create a syrupy tea - Yuja cha. The fruit is thinly sliced (peel, pith and pulp) then soaked or cooked in honey or sugar to create a chunky syrup. This syrupy candied fruit is often mixed with hot water as fragrant tea.

The citron fruit is slow-growing and often preserved in syrup for the cold months - the citron tea made from syrup is often served as a source of fruit in winter. It's not winter in the U.S (still months and months to go...) but I've already turned to Korean honey citron tea (yujacheong) or Yuzu tea.

Citron honey does not come comforting only in winter, it is an all-rounder in my opinion, since I can use it to flavor up my savory dishes all year-all-round. If you use honey and lemon as ingredients in your cooking, citron honey is almost a perfect substitute ingredient - adding that tang factor. "Sweet and sour" poultry and meat dishes can be made a little different and special, by adding citron honey. Absence does not make my heart grow fonder - absence made my heart fluster! Absence of an orange (at time of cooking), and yuzu sauce in Jaden's Asian Orange Ginger Glaze! She said "If there was only one recipe that I had to choose as a “must try” - this is it!". Iron-casted in my mind, so I tried...BUT I cannot stop a flustering heart, I can only... citron honey to the rescue! (Note: Stick to the original recipe if you want the perfect glaze. She's the Xpert!). On the other hand, the citron honey substitution has spawned to an inspired creation here - Citron Honey Chicken. The name by itself is already so tasty. The dish itself - a covet balance of tang and sweet. Thanks, Jaden, for your inspiration. :)


I was quite sure adding citron honey (as the substitute) would not go too wrong since I've done lychee chicken before - another sweet and tangy chicken dish. This citrusy dish will be shared at ARF-Sweetnicks.

The citron honey chicken is definitely a keeper, with the other "chicks" - herbal, satay, braised, deep-fried spicy , & ginger-steamed


Tag: , ,

27 comments:

  1. Haven't seen Citron honey yet, perhaps I always shop for familiar items or one eye closed. LOL! Your Citron honey chicken sures look delish!

    p/s: I got a Vietnamese reader stopped by my blog to recommend the rice paper to use for fresh roll and deep-fried one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, you are definitely a serious foody blogger. I like the way you introduce things. I will have to go through your archives when time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tigerfish! I love all your chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice adaptation! I think I drank all my citron honey as tea...time to get some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmm, my mouth is watering over the sweet and citrus flavors, this sounds so delicious. just make extra and i'll pick it up k? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. tigerfish: That looks real good. Reminds me of the sweet and sour pork dish i use to have when I was a kid. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this educative post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm. Hehe - like your chicks! I've been inspired by Jaden as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks absolutely delicious! I'm going to look for this citron honey at my Asian grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy chick :). I love yuzu, especially in sherbets!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful looking dish! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG that looks sooo good, I would eat many servings with a huge bowl of rice and lick my bowl clean! I guess I better go pick up some citron honey at TJs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating! I will have to try something like this--I grew up on yuja cha, and have always had it around the house. I am ashamed to say it never occurred to me to use it for anything other than tea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am going to take a second look at that jar of yuja cha (preserved citron) in my fridge. It's a staple in my kitchen, but for tea--and now I'm goingto reconsider its uses! Thanks for the post--I found you via Tastespotting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, your chicken looks great Tigerfish! I wish I had the chance to taste Yuzu!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right....lots of good "looking" chicks around! LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  17. little corner of mine, haha...by right I'm supposed to find them in Korean supermarkets, but I got them from Trader Joes. :D

    judy, I AM a foody blogger but not-so-serious one ;p Hope you enjoyed your "stay" here. :D

    steamy, you love jerks and chicks :)

    nate 2.0, the citron honey is one of my newer purchases. Time to make tea!

    aria, okie!

    the expedited writer, I should have deep-fry some battered meat to make it a real childhood dish :D

    cynthia, you're welcome :D Thanks for dropping by

    wokandspoon, you have to share your love with chicks with Jaden :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. lydia, I actually got my citron honey from Trader Joes :D

    angie, I can't rememeber when was the last time I've had sherbets :O

    sara, thanks!

    amy, haha...mine was from TJ!

    jade, oh you should try it! I give a hint of yuja cha flavor in the dishes. Nice! :D

    c(h)ristine, thks for visiting :D ...do try the yuja cha for other uses.

    valentina, I only know of(and tasted) Yuzu quite recently too :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds good..now time to ask my mother to experiment cooking with it hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet.. next time I go to TJ's I'll pick up a bottle of this stuff and try out your recipe :) Seems like a quick and easy recipe for a weeknight dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi dearie,
    Come and get your award from my latest post! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  22. wmw, thks for finding my "chicks" attractive. Did I pimp them well ? :p

    "joe", you are so farnee!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wokandspoon, thks for taggin'. Will try my best!

    jadedone, maybe you can even try it will ribs (since I remember you all like ribs), then use this as part of a glaze. Wonder if it will work :p

    ECL, thks! Need to prepare "oscar" speech liao! Buahahahh!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting idea! I'm actually trying to figure out an appetizer type dish to bring to a poker game this Friday. Maybe I should do that?? It would be a bit messy though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Scratch that.. I think I'll make your char sui sows :) I'm glad your blog has tags!

    ReplyDelete
  26. jadedone,hahaha...I also making some char sui sows tmr....just bought my char siew from 99 Ranch :D
    And this is definitely poker-friendly :p

    ReplyDelete