Pumpkin or Acorn Squash Stir Fry

The variety of pumpkin and squash in the supermarkets or grocery stores confuses me a lot. Even the name "pumpkin" and "squash" confuse me. Is pumpkin = squash? Is pumpkin  part of squash family, or maybe the other way round? I know there is Google Search but there are times (at this minute) when I just do not want to do it. I am sure my fellow blogger friends would be able to stimulate and open up my mind more, on pumpkin and squash. I have already learn from them, that some pumpkins are more suitable for baking while others, more suitable for cooking. And some, suitable for Savory Pumpkin Cake.

Stir-Fry Acorn Squash*
Ingredients: 1 small acorn squash, remove seeds (note: keep the seeds aside for roasting**), peeled, then cubed; 2 stalk green onions, cut into small pieces; pinch of ground cumin, salt and pepper, to taste

Directions: Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add green onions and fry till fragrant. Add in cubed squash, pinch of cumin and mix well. Cover the pan and allow to simmer at low heat till squash softens. Add some water, if mixture too dry and continue to simmer at low heat. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve when squash completely cooks through.

*If unsure, ask! And the friendly staff at Whole Foods recommended Acorn Squash for stir-frying. It works!
** Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


Penzeys Fall Spices Giveaway is ON! To learn how you can be a winner, go read their special announcement. Well, I'm thinking...Fall pumpkins and Fall spices...what a great match!

Tag: , ,