Kale-Red Bell Pepper Pasta Sauce

Green, red, yellow, orange bell peppers - Red Bell Pepper has one of the highest ANDI (short for Aggregate Nutrient Density Index) among all. So it did not take me too long to pick some red bell peppers from the grocery stores. Though not at its peak season, I still wanted some "red/orange" food in my meals, other than sweet potatoes and tomatoes.

So for the same reason, I pick the bell pepper which is better nutrient-dense and leave the other colors when the time is right.

I enjoy adding bell peppers when I cook omelette or in stir-fries. Never did I try making a red pepper pasta sauce (though I know there are store-bought roasted red pepper sauces available) before, as I am always in  my comfort zone of preparing tomato-based sauces.

SO today, I bring you a sauce - built with intense flavors, nutritious, healthy:  Spinach Fettuccine in Kale-Red Pepper Sauce. It is a vegetarian pasta sauce all of you can do at home with your own tweaks of using the kind of vegetables you love.What favorite vegetables of yours would you use?


My homemade pasta sauce is made from: red bell peppers, grape tomatoes, kale leaves, garlic, onion, cumin, turmeric and a lil' curry powder. The sprices are not new, coming from me.
After a saute in the pan to bring out the flavors, the chunks are then pureed (using Ninja Master Prep Professional Blender, Chopper and Ice Crusher: More Powerful & 2X Faster- Recipe Book Included). Then pour the sauce back to the pan, add in mushrooms and allow it to simmer and let the mushrooms cooked to tender.

Before serving, add in the cooked spinach fettuccine into the sauce and allow it to combine well and absorb the sauces and flavor.


Let simplicity bring out the intense flavors. It's healthy, nutritious and delicious.

Cooking Tip for Tip Day Thursday Carnival: For interplay of textures in the sauce, I pureed half the kale leaves into the sauce and kept the remaining leaves whole, adding them into the sauce while I cook the mushrooms in the sauce. I enjoy kale so I can be crazy at this point. It is also a good way to sneak in veggies that are not your kids' favorites (puree everything!).

Hmmmm...I think by blending the red peppers and kale in a puree and turning them into a pasta sauce, it may be also easier to make non-veggie lovers eat their vegetables. I'm sharing this with Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Ruth at Once upon a Feast this week.



Tag: , ,



An Escape to Food on Facebook