Upland Cress and Watercress

Remember the post about "watercress" for salads or even garnish? Recently, I came close encounter with Upland Cress (that the store labels "Watercress"). It looks like the "young" offspring of the more fibrous watercress  西洋菜 widely used in Chinese cooking as soups quite typically. And truth be told to me, today I found that Chinese Watercress (Nasturtium_officinale) and this Upland Cress (Barbarea verna) are quite different. And can someone tell me if Upland Cress is seasonal?

Upland cress

Anyway, I bought this Upland Cress (above) with the intention of making salads. Elegant, tiny leaves, slender and thin stalks!


Appearance-wise, Upland Cress is a tad different from the Chinese watercress (left).

Soup recipes are common for Chinese watercress and the furthest I have gone is in a stir-fry.

Taste-wise, both have a slightly sharp peppery kick.

Nutrition-wise, watercress seems to get rave spotlight for iron, calcium, folic acid, Vitamins A and C. Watercress is also a source of antioxidants and photochemical.

How do you use Watercress or Upland Cress in your cooking?


I am sharing Upland Cress and Watercress with Weekend Herb Blogging #294 hosted by Anh of A Food Lover's Journey.






Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook