Sunday, June 27, 2010

Bell Peppers, Bok Choy and Mushrooms Pasta


Knowing a variety of cuisines helps me better my cooking. I try not to overcook the pasta, make sure it is al-dente and allow the pasta to finish off cooking while they are bathed in the pasta sauce in the pan. When it comes to Chinese stir-fry (esp that of vegetables), I do not like to overcook as well. So, when I combine both pasta and stir-fry vegetables, I only add the al-dente pasta when the stir-fry vegetables is just about 80% done, then finish off the rest of the 20% cooking of both pasta and vegetables...all in the pan. Makes sense?


Fusili with Bell Peppers, Bok Choy and White Beech Mushrooms
Ingredients: 2 servings of cooked whole-wheat fusili; 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced; 1/2 tsp minced ginger; 1 yellow bell pepper, rinsed, seeded and cubed; some Bok Choy, rinsed, separate stems and leaves; 1 pack of white beech mushrooms; 2-3 tbsp water; salt and white pepper to taste

Directions: Heat some oil in a pan, fry the garlic and ginger till fragrant. Add the Bok Choy stems and fry for 1 minute, add in bell pepper and mushrooms and fry for another 1 minute. Add in Bok Choy leaves, then add water, cover the pan and allow to simmer till vegetables are almost tender and cooked. Add in fusili, mix well and allow the fusili to absorb any remaining gravy. Salt and white pepper to taste



Some of you may find such creations unacceptable as Italian pasta dishes should be just Italian. But for home-cooking, the ease of cooking and nutrition are important to me. And what makes you think such creations are not delicious? If I can stir fry noodles with vegetables, why not use "pasta" as the noodle? Is that so politically incorrect? Garnish with some Fried Shallots, to make it better! ^o^

Anyway, I am sure Ruth of Once Upon A Feast will accept this pasta for Presto Pasta Nights -PPN. Yes? No?


Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook