Cantaloupe Roast Cornish Game Hen

I have moved! Physically. Finally. If I have been quiet at your blog, I'm so sorry. I'm trying to get back on my routine schedule while I wait for the movers to be here in 4-weeks time. So long...:(

Colors of summer...brilliant for a summer roast

Summer is a good time to move due to the longer daylight hours. We could really do more within the day. But a bad time to move as rent is relatively more expensive in summer than other seasons. Anyhow, summer means peaches, apricots, berries, melons. The colors! I was so in the hurry to cook as have been eating out most of the time the first two weeks I was here. But cooking, wherever I am, needs to be easy, simple, fuss-free, healthy and delicious. So this Summer Roast Cornish Game Hen I created when summer rubs my shoulders.


Summer (Cantaloupe) Roast Cornish Game Hen
Ingredients: 2-3 organic carrots, slightly rinsed to clear away dirt;1 celery stalk, thinly sliced; 1 tomato, sliced; thin slices of cantaloupe (Tip: Slice the remaining flesh of the cataloupe near the melon while the rest of the fleshy-sweet melon is consumed directly as fruit. Often, the paler whitish flesh near the melon skin is discarded as the main fruit is consumed directly. What a waste! The remnants of the cantaloupe is a good use of leftovers and subtly improves the aroma while the chicken is roasting.); 1/2 cornish game hen, marinated (at least 1 hr) with crushed garlic, grated ginger, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, fennel, salt and pepper

Directions: Preheat oven 380F. Lay the carrots (with the leaves), celery and cantaloupe on a lined baking tray/dish. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables and spread the sliced tomatoes on the chicken. Roast(bake) for 40-45mins and increase to 400F at the last 5 mins to get slightly crispy skin.


I have been on the high of using remnants and leftovers of vegetables (e.g. thick stems) and fruits (e.g. near-skins) in my cooking. Well, to make use of whatever I can to flavor up food. Now I really want to "squeeze" everything out of the vegetables and fruits.

Summer Roast...or would you call it (Fresh "Compost") Roast? Share your tips on "squeezing" the maximum out of any vegetable and fruit.

I am submitting this to Momgatewy Light Recipes Contest - a perfect light roast for summer.


Tag: , ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook