Gobi Manchurian, Sweet Sour Cauliflower

I have shown you roasted cauliflower and cauliflower potato curry previously and I am inspired to show you MORE. More cauliflower dishes. How about Gobi Manchurian (an Indian-Chinese dish)?


The two key steps: Crispy-crusted cauliflower AND a sweet-sour-spicy sauce!


Crispy-crusted cauliflower: Slice the cauliflower and quickly blanch the cauliflower. Set aside to cool. Whisk an egg - set aside. Prepare some corn-flour+plain flour mixture - sprinkle on a wide flat area (use a plate, baking pan or tin foil). Dip the cauliflower into the egg, then coat with flour mixture, then shallow fry in a pan of hot oil. (Note: To be as authentic as possible, deep-fried battered cauliflower is often used). Roasting them is not the way to go as roasting can't get them as crisped-up as frying in hot oil.

Sweet-sour-spicy sauce: In a little oil, fry some onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, sliced green/red chili; add a little black vinegar, brown sugar, light soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, then add a little water, allow the entire mixture to simmer, reduce and thicken. Finally salt to taste. Add the cauliflower and combine well with the sauce in the pan, or pour the sauce over the cauliflower. Well, this is the sauce I concocted as I do not have tomato ketchup at home.

I sliced the cauliflower quite differently...

My own take on Gobi Machurian.


I'm sharing this with My Meatless Mondays, Hearth and Soul.

Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook