Steamed Salmon with Heirloom Tomatoes 白菜蕃茄蒸三文鱼

Ask me if using fresh fish is better than frozen in this steamed fish dish, and without hesitation, I would say FRESH! However, frozen salmon was all I had on that day, so I settled for "second best". I could have gone with en papillote (parchment-baked salmon) as I always do but the mind, heart and tummy was for a brothy soupy fish dish on this day.


This Steamed Ginger-Scallion Salmon Fillet with Heirloom Tomatoes and Bok Choy did not turn out as bad as one would have thought. It was also as easy to prepare as parchment-baked salmon.


The gingery and savory broth was well-complemented by the sweet hint-of-tangy flavors from the heirloom tomatoes and Bok Choy. One thing for sure, I would not mind having it again. In fact, I can't wait for peak heirloom tomatoes season to try this dish again!



Steamed Ginger-Scallions Salmon with Heirloom Tomatoes and Bok Choy
Assemble the (thawed) salmon fillet with 4-5 wedges of heirloom tomatoes at the side, and Bok Choy at the bottom. Add minced ginger and finely chopped scallions on the fish, and some of the sliced ginger on the tomatoes and veggies. In a separate bowl, mix 1 tsp soy sauce, 1tsp sesame oil with 6-8 tbsp of water then pour this mixture over the salmon. Steam for 12-15 mins (depending on thickness of fillet) till salmon is cooked. Dash of ground white pepper to taste and 2-3 more drops of sesame oil for aroma.


Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook