Canadian Bacon - the Back Bacon

Bacon is not new to me but I'm learning new bacon today. Something about Canadian Bacon as known to the US, but maybe otherwise known as back bacon in other parts of traditional Britain and Ireland.














Back bacon comes from the loin in the middle of the back of the pig. It is a lean meaty cut of bacon, relatively less fat compared to the streaky bacon.



I was wondering what the SMART CHART was - it looks to me like some label on a sunscreen lotion that indicates "UVA", "UVB", "SPF30". Why on earth is the pig smeared with sunscreen?? And why does this bacon restrict itself to "PG" (Parental Guidance) rating of 13?:O

OK, after much probing (otherwise known as kay-poh-ing about the bacon I bought), I found that

GF: GLUTEN FREE
DF: DAIRY FREE
SF: SOY FREE
P13: P is PROTEIN; 13, is grams of protein (13) per serving


Ham-like texture and flavor

Have you tried Canadian bacon and do you like it? How have you used them in your cooking?

Tag: ,