Brisling Sardines Curry

Sources of fish such as salmon and sardine give good source of omega-3 fatty acid which is beneficial to us in some (brainy) way. As salmon is not cheap, I started to find other alternative and sardine has become one of my favorites. What to do...Poor Woman's Fish for me. Further, sardine is considered a smaller fish and as the size goes, smaller fish - less mercury, which is again a plus.

Brisling Sardines in Spring Water

I enjoy the Crown Prince  Brisling Sardines available in Whole Foods Market for less than USD3.00. I could not find them in Singapore and brought back 6 tins with me to cover my stay in Singapore. Woo hooo....


Often, I hear Asians staying in the US "smuggling" belachan (shrimp paste), salted fish back to the US; but here, I brought sardines back with me to Singapore as I do not want to go to the extent of scouring Singapore to find this product.

High in calcium and iron. Sodium is relatively low for a canned product and minimal ingredients(with nothing I can't pronounce in the ingredient list). Fits all my canned-food criteria.

Sardine Curry
Ingredients: 2 tins whole sardines (Note: I used Wild Caught Brisling Sardines from Crown Prince); 1-2 tomatoes, sliced to bite-size; 4-5 stalks celery; thinly sliced/slivered; 2 small red onions, thinly sliced; 2 gloves garlic; cumin; fennel; curry powder; turmeric, salt and black pepper

Directions: Heat some oil in a wok/pan. Fry the cumin, fennel to slightly roast them and exude their aroma. Add onions, curry powder and turmeric and and fry with cumin and fennel. When onions turn slightly translucent, add celery and tomatoes and mix well. Add about 1/4 cup water and allow mixture to simmer. Add salt and black pepper to taste. When gravy starts to reduce, add in whole sardines but be careful not to stir too much and break up the whole sardines (unless it is your purposed intention).




Can anchovies and sardines be interchangeably used in recipes?

I have recently seen fresh (whole) sardines in some food blogs and these sardines are commonly being grilled or roasted. If I get a chance to see the same, I am SURE to try it! I am loving sardines right now! Maybe I have found a way to cook it without any fishy smell in the final dish.

Tag: ,

An Escape to Food on Facebook