Kiwi U-Pick @Swanton Coastways Ranch, CA

Last weekend, we were out kiwi picking. What? In the middle of December with approaching winter? Well, that's kiwi season. And with the sun lurking out for a while, why not make use of sunshine in a good way? I have not seen a kiwi plant or tree...or rather a kiwi vine?

In case you did not know (cos I didn't), kiwi grows as vines!


They don't ripen till they are plucked off the vine. These are certainly some kiwi facts that I did not know. I was planning to pick (and pluck off) the ripened tender-soft ones. Obviously, there was none.

I have also read somewhere that you can eat the kiwi skins. Yes, the flurry skins. The last time I used kiwi in cooking was to make Kiwi-Mango Salsa. Other times, I just eat kiwi as-is: slice them into half and scoop the flesh off the skin with a teaspoon. Is that how you do it too?


If you are in Northern California, you can pick kiwi at Swanton Coastways Ranch U-Pick.- the same place where I picked my organic strawberries and ollalieberries during summer.


Kiwi U-Pick 2011: is OPEN NOW! (of course, always check their site for latest update or call 831-469-8804 before making the trip)

Kiwi U-Pick 2011 opens on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 10am-4pm!

Swanton Coastways Ranch U-Pick
640 Highway 1 Pescadero, CA 94060


Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook