Singapore Chicken Rice, Hainanese Beef Noodles Lee Fun Nam Kee & Hai Nan Xing Zhou

As I read about and heard of many popular food places closing down in Singapore, I am glad to have recently visited two food stalls/eateries, both almost half-a-century-old in history, that are still around in Singapore. I hope they stay open for as long as they can, so that generations (and generations) get to savor delicious and traditional street-food. Both food stalls traced their history to Hainanese cuisine/food - one being Hainanese Chicken Rice and the other being Hainanese Beef Noodles.

"White" boiled chicken @LeeFunNamKee

Like many famous chicken rice eateries e.g. Tian Tian Chicken Rice, Boon Tong Kee and Five-Star Chicken Rice; Lee Fun Nam Kee Chicken Rice (李范南记鸡饭餐室) also has had its humble beginnings from the hawker stall, but is now its own specialty eatery, located at Toa Payoh.

Famous soy-sauce chicken @LeeFunNamKee

Personally I am neither a chicken-rice fanatic, nor a professional food reviewer to share with you the best chicken rice in Singapore (which reminded me - I have not cooked chicken rice at home for the longest time!).


Lee Fun Nam Kee is a case of not expecting too much but being pleasantly surprised - the chicken rice is actually quite delicious.

For a party of five, we ordered the famous soya-sauce chicken in additional to the Hainanese "white" boiled chicken. Both dishes were well-prepared - tender, succulent chicken, down to the chicken breast.


Lee Fun Nam Kee Chicken Rice (李范南记鸡饭餐室)
Blk 94, Toa Payoh Lorong 4, Singapore 310094



To me, the rice is also part of the highlight in chicken rice, and the rice was perfectly cooked and most importantly, not overly greasy which is what I prefer.

Not-overly-greasy rice

Everything was wiped out at the end of the meal. That shows how good the chicken rice is.

Wiped out!



Just like chicken rice, I am also not a huge fan of beef noodles - be it Vietnamese beef noodles, Taiwanese beef noodles or Hainanese beef noodles in this case. At Hai Nan Xing Zhou Beef Noodles(海南星洲牛肉粉, used to be at Cuppage Center and now at Toa Payoh, I try to order the "cut" of my choice to up my odds of "favoriting" this noodle stall. Tendons! An all-tendon dry beef noodles, done Hainanese-style.

Beef-tendons noodles

I also "stole" a slice of beef from my husband's bowl and the beef was very tender, perfectly cooked considering that no any tenderizers were used to prepare the beef.

Beef (beef slices, stomach, tendons) Noodles

Hai Nan Xing Zhou Beef Noodles(海南星洲牛肉粉)
Blk 22, Lorong 7 Toa Payoh  #01-06

I would plan breakfast somewhere in Katong/Joo Chiat/Marine Parade, then a beef noodles lunch and chicken rice dinner.

This is the last "makan" post of our recent Singapore layover.

Tag: ,


An Escape to Food on Facebook