Pipa (Chinese: 琵琶) is a plucked Chinese string instrument. Sometimes called the Chinese lute, the instrument has a pear-shaped wooden body. The shape of the tofu in this Pipa tofu dish resembles this instrument (must be!), thus the name. Pipa tofu is usually made using soft tofu mixed with seafood and topped with brown sauce. Here, I've used minced pork to substitute the usual shrimps that would have been used. This dish requires more time and work compared to steamed tofu with minced pork. But when done, gives a totally different texture and taste. It's worth the effort. Pablopabla, I was not kidding when I told you I wanted to make a similar dish when you made tofu meat patties. Keropok Man, am currently overcoming my reservations on cold tofu (straight from the tube or pack).
Pipa tofu (serves 3-4)
-1 block silken tofu
-1/3lbs minced pork(you can use shrimps and chop it finely in food processor till like a paste)
-2 stalks scallions
-1 small carrot, washed and peeled
-~1lb boy choy, washed, cut into sections and blanched
-1tbsp soy sauce
-4tbsp chicken broth/stock
1.Drain the tofu and mash it up in a bowl
2. Add the minced pork to the tofu
3. Chop 2 of the stalks of scallion and mince the carrot; then add 1.5 of the quantity of chopped scallions and all the carrot to the tofu and minced pork
4.Add egg, salt and cornflour. Mix the contents of the bowl until well combined
5.Heat oil at high in a pan. Use a spoon to scoop up about a tablespoon of tofu mixture at a time; shape it into an ovaloid ball, then drop into the hot oil. (Note: Do not overcrowd – you’ll probably only be able to cook 4-5 at a time. Turn them gently in the oil, deep-frying until golden brown)
6. Remove with a slotted spoon and let them drain on paper towels while you continue shaping and cooking the remainder of the mixture. (Note: Be careful when handling the tofu, as the tofu is fairly delicate)
7. To make the sauce, heat 1tsp of oil in a clean saucepan and stir-fry the remaining scallion until fragrant, add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Thicken with the cornflour.
8. Arrange the cooked greens on a plate, with the tofu ovaloids on top. Pour the sauce on top and serve.
Tag: tofu, beancurd, pipa tofu
Friday, January 12, 2007
eggs and tofu|vegetables and mushrooms|