Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Beancurd skin roll with shrimps filings - deep fried

The shrimp in water met the turkey on land. Just how did they meet? In the water or on the land?

They met in my beancurd- nori roll!


This is somewhat like the Chinese version of Rasa Malaysia's Vietnamese Tau Hu Ky.

Somewhat? Yes -
because in the Chinese dim-sum version - deep fried beancurd roll (腐皮卷, pronounced in Cantonese as Fu Pei Gyun), you would not find the additional nori/seaweed layer and hardly the water chestnuts. The addition of water chestnuts is more common in the Hokkien deep fried meat rolls (also known as Lor Bak*, or Ngoh Hiang**).

*Lor Bak -
Marinated minced pork, rolled in soybean sheets and then deep fried.
**Ngoh Hiang - translates into "five spice" in Hokkien. Technically, it refers to one food item - a meat roll made from minced pork, shrimp, chestnuts and onions wrapped up in bean curd skin. Handmade ones are usually moist and meaty.

I adapted my deep fried bean curd rolls from
a Cantonese cooking snippet over the TV and they included the nori/seaweed layer (when wrapping the beancurd-skin with chopped shrimps). I decided to try...and finally created a "cross-over" roll, or a hybrid between Ngoh Hiang and Fu Pei Gyun. The addition of seaweed as a wrap creates a new dimension in terms of color, texture and flavor. Does it remind you of sushi ?

I am never against deep-fried food (the eating part - I'm no health freak). I just seldom deep fry my food to avoid getting an oily stove-top and kitchen floor, and splatters of oil that may burn/scald me. Anyway, you don't get deep-fried food from me often. Just this time.


Sushi-Tau Hu Ky, Sushi-Tau Hu Ky, you put me in glee!

Beancurd skin with shrimps and water chestnuts (makes about 4-6 rolls)
Ingredients:
-12oz-1lbs shrimps, shells, head and tail removed (all off! naked!)
-8oz ground turkey/chicken (can be omitted - then use more shrimps. Meat was added as like how Ngoh Hiang is made)
-1 cup water chestnuts, diced to small cubes (adding this will give an additional crunch to the fillings)
-2 stalks spring onion, chopped finely
-handful of cilantro, chopped finely
-4 beancurd sheets, wiped with water and dab dry with paper towel
-4 nori sheets
-dashes of pepper
-1-2tsp sesame oil

Marinade(for turkey or chicken):
-sprinkle of salt
-1-2tsp cornflour
-1 egg
-1-2tsp chinese cooking wine

Method:
1. Marinate ground turkey and set aside
2. Dry prawns with a towel. Mash prawn meat with the back of a cleaver and finely chop (Note: Try not to mash the prawn with an electronic food chopper/mixer since it will introduce a lot of moisture).
3. Mix prawn puree with marinated turkey, diced water chestnuts, green onions, cilantro, and add some pepper, sesame oil, then mix/blend until it reaches a paste consistency
4. Spread bean curd skin onto parchment or wax paper. Place shrimp-turkey puree in the middle. Place nori sheet on top, add a little more shrimp-turkey puree, then roll up the skin like a sushi roll. Trim off excess bean curd skin. Keep roll in shape with bamboo picks (Note: Of course, you can just use one layer and omit the nori layer. I wanted a mix of textures from taste and "looks" standpoint, plus nori imparts an additional flavor to the bean curd skin)



5. Bring vegetable oil to high temp, place beancurd skin-nori rolls and deep fry until golden, approximately 8min-10mins in total (depending on how deep is your oilamd how "fat" is the roll). Remove and drain off excess oil (Note: I do not have a deep fryer to immerse the entire fat roll to fry, so I fry each side for about 4-5mins)

Although I like these crispy rolls a lot, I guess I won't be doing it again, for a while. I wish for a deep-fryer at this instant. Who wish to "donate" a deep-fryer to me - I can give you my mailing address :D

*day-dreaming* ........................AGAIN.

Other snacks:
Char Siew Sou - BBQ pork pastry
Chee Cheong Fun - Stir fried rice rolls
Begedil -Potato and meat patties

Tag: , , , , ,